Author Topic: BaCHbird  (Read 283272 times)

Hornisse

Re: BaCHbird
« Reply #1650 on: March 29, 2010, 07:29:35 PM »
I bought one of their bags, but for my Steinberger L2.  What a deal and it is a great looking bag.  I was going to get the premium model but the deluxe is really nice and was more than 1/2 cheaper than the premium version.

http://www.9mileguitar.com/product.sc?productId=685&categoryId=104

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: March 30, 2010, 05:06:23 AM »
Thank you for the kind words guys.
Personally I prefer the TH-2.
It has everything a TH-1 has, plus one extra  :mrgreen:
Seriously: I like the tight tone of two humbuckers together. And I like the fact that you can dial the second pickup in just as much as you want.

My single pup model is a lot louder than my TH-2. Anyone else notice this with theirs?
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: March 30, 2010, 05:22:34 AM »
You always have a little drop of volume when you use two pickups in parallel. If it's not that the case, maybe its a wiring fault.
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #1653 on: March 30, 2010, 05:24:50 AM »
You always have a little drop of volume when you use two pickups in parallel. If it's not that the case, maybe its a wiring fault.
Yep I have always experienced that. That's one reason I like one pickup basses  ;D
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #1654 on: March 30, 2010, 07:41:14 AM »
@ Denis try setting the pickups little higher (closer to the strings). And roll off the bridge pickup potmeter just a hair.
The volume drop should be solved.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: March 30, 2010, 08:03:49 AM »
Thanks, Rob, I'll give that a shot!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: March 30, 2010, 09:33:28 AM »
@ Denis try setting the pickups little higher (closer to the strings). And roll off the bridge pickup potmeter just a hair.
The volume drop should be solved.

Thats what I do too, if I want a treblier tone I roll off slightly the neck pup, otherwise I roll off the bridge.
Its the nature of the beast, you must live with it, but its not a big deal after you got used to it.

When you are using both pickups you got a kind of "mid scoop", its a kind of mid frequencies cancellation, so your output decreases, since we humanoids are more sensitive to midrange frequencies than bass or treble.
That midscoop effect is more audible with humbucker pickups, since they have much more midrange than single coils.
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #1657 on: March 30, 2010, 07:32:15 PM »
And thunderbirds have more mids than just about anything!
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Johnbob

• View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: March 30, 2010, 07:37:58 PM »
I have a few questions for you guys. I have e-mailed Rob about ordering a Bachbird after I initially e-mailed Bach directly and didn't hear back from Bach. Well now I have heard back from Roman and I have a few questions for you all. Have any of you ordered directly from Bach? If so, how was your experience? I'm wondering what the price difference is? Obviously Rob charges something for his time and effort, which is absolutely understandable. I know he provides a great service for everyone and it is only fair/right for him to be compensated for it, let alone the fact that none of us would be here right now talking about this bass if it wasn't for him. But is the main reason that people go through Rob the language problem or can he actually get the basses to the customer faster? Have there been problems ordering direct? I know in the beginning it was difficult getting a response from them but now that they have basses in stock and have an order page on their website has it gotten easier? The reason I am asking is because I have a friend here that speaks fluent Czech so calling them wouldn't be a problem and if ordering direct is substantially cheaper than I might go that route but if it's only a little bit of a price break for a huge hassle and Rob has a system that works maybe I shouldn't even bother ordering directly. I'm just so poor right now otherwise I wouldn't even think twice. I shouldn't be buying this bass at all but I have wanted one of these for a very long time and I cannot pass up this opportunity.. Ha..ha.

I'm sure Rob will read this too so I hope this doesn't offend him, me asking these questions because at the end of the day I will probably end up ordering it through him anyway.

saltymonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: March 30, 2010, 08:00:40 PM »
The difference can't be much based on what I paid for mine through Rob and the prices on the Bach site. Rob also takes Paypal which was huge for me. Bach only accepts a direct wire transfer from your bank. Buying from Rob was as smooth as it gets. He kept us informed,  sent tracking numbers and I had my bass three days after he shipped it. After my experience with Rob i'd never even think about ordering direct from Bach. I'm not knocking Bach but I doubt you'll get it as fast or know what's going on every step of the way.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #1660 on: March 30, 2010, 08:08:33 PM »
Aside from waiting for an answer (and it sounds like you didn't have much of a wait), I had no problems ordering direct.  The emails were in English.  The only thing I'd advise is to be sure you pay the invoice right away when you receive it.  The first round of basses were probably a little stressful for BaCH, as much as it was frustrating for us.  In the end, things worked out fine.  I got my bass within a week of paying for it.  The biggest difference, as mentioned, is the fact that PayPal with Rob will save you the cost of an international wire transfer.  The fee for that alone was $40 for me.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #1661 on: March 30, 2010, 09:33:15 PM »

Again I give Rob the big  :thumbsup:

I had to spend about 40 mins. at the bank just to do the wire transfer, plus the fee. further there really wasn't a way to easily confirm that the $$$ had gotten to BaCH. Everything did work out fine of course, but by comparison working with Rob was much easier - I did it at home on the computer, no fees or wasted time, he provided great, timely service and coming from a retail background I can say he did a first rate for me. Thanks Rob!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Johnbob

• View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: March 31, 2010, 12:00:49 AM »
Cool, yeah I'm pretty sure I am going through Rob. Just to clarify, from the reading the message boards I in no way am doubting the quality of Rob's service or help. I know he has been a great help to many, many people on this board. I was more curious about Bach's customer service and their prices and stuff. I can't wait to order this bass and get it in my hands. I have wanted a Non-Reverse Thunderbird forever and I never thought I would be able to get one. I have considered getting the Epiphone reissue but I can never go through with it because there are too many things wrong with it, I don't like the pick-up configuration, the reverse headstock or the color. Let's face it, other than the body shape, it is nothing like a real NR Thunderbird.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: March 31, 2010, 12:17:12 AM »
I see on the BaCH website where they are using a body wood called Caroline wood. I've not heard of this before. Anyone have any info on it?

http://www.bachmusik.com/en/bach-rbb-2-hb_p1035

*EDIT: found an answer.  "a species of poplar with an attractive grain and tonal properties similar to alder"
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 12:32:21 AM by Freuds_Cat »
Digresion our specialty!

saltymonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: April 01, 2010, 02:51:19 PM »
I received a customs duty invoice for my Bachbird today from the shipper TNT. This is the first time I have ever purchased a bass or anything else from outside the USA and was not expecting it. Did all of you other buyers receive a similar invoice? Thanks.