Author Topic: BaCHbird  (Read 283272 times)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Re: BaCHbird
« Reply #1590 on: March 15, 2010, 03:18:33 AM »
Rob, on the push/pulls, do I want short shaft or long shaft? Also, what value for the tone, and what caps are everyone using? What was the original value on the NR birds for the cap, 0.47?

I used short shaft.

Here's the values:

bassvirtuoso

• My God, it's full of chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: March 15, 2010, 07:38:12 AM »
Thanks Rob, I figured the tone would be 250K and the cap .047, but I had to double check.
-Dave

German-American Chrome Fan Club Member #666

Basshappi

• View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: March 15, 2010, 10:07:09 AM »
Having no experience with T-birds, which sounds better the .02 or .047?
Nothing is what it seems but everthing is exactly what it is.

saltymonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: March 15, 2010, 02:08:57 PM »
I used short shaft.

Here's the values:

I've never tried to read a schematic before but does the single pup version show the tone pot as being first in line before the vol?

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: March 15, 2010, 02:59:09 PM »
Yes, it does show it that way, but electrically it doesn't matter, they are wired together. Another difference is in the II the Vol. pot wiper goes to the output jack. On the IV  schematic the Vol. wipers come from the pickups. Again that is the same result electrically, you just have to be careful that you don't wire it backwards. Clockwise should raise the volume.

Interesting question though: it is counter-clockwise for lefties, or the same?

bassvirtuoso

• View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: March 16, 2010, 09:04:23 AM »
I played the TH-2 at band practice last night. First thing I'm going to do, before I ever pick it back up again, is move the strap button to behind the heel of the neck! Wow, that thing fought me all night. Soundwise it was fantastic with the Artecs! I really dig the bass a lot and as long as I can fix the neck dive, it'll be a keeper for sure. I enjoyed the Artec bridge pickup a lot more than my bridge pickup in my Gibson!
-Dave

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: March 16, 2010, 09:35:37 AM »
I played the TH-2 at band practice last night. First thing I'm going to do, before I ever pick it back up again, is move the strap button to behind the heel of the neck! Wow, that thing fought me all night. Soundwise it was fantastic with the Artecs! I really dig the bass a lot and as long as I can fix the neck dive, it'll be a keeper for sure. I enjoyed the Artec bridge pickup a lot more than my bridge pickup in my Gibson!

Yep, that is a must and will make it so much easier to deal with! If your strap is wide and with rough leather on the downside it will help a lot as well.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

bassvirtuoso

• View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: March 16, 2010, 09:51:48 AM »
Yep, that is a must and will make it so much easier to deal with! If your strap is wide and with rough leather on the downside it will help a lot as well.

I'll most likely use my Cronkhite "S" strap on it, so once I get my Duncan Strap Locks installed, she'll be perfect!
-Dave

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: March 16, 2010, 10:15:07 AM »
Either way, once you relocate the strap pin, the dive is minimal and completely acceptable. How do you like the length of the BaCH?
Clocks.

bassvirtuoso

• View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: March 16, 2010, 10:52:51 AM »
Length has never bothered me much. My first bass was an Epiphone Thunderbird and that had tons of reach. It feels comfy and the neck makes a big difference when it comes to length. The bigger neck on the Epi fatigued my hand much quicker than this BaCH does.

I agree that once I get the strap pin moved, it'll be a lot better. I wonder if my "technique" of putting my right arm on the wing of the instrument will change any after switching from a Reverse Thunderbird to this NR.
-Dave

Hornisse

« Reply #1600 on: March 16, 2010, 12:23:37 PM »
I'm a big guy so I never have any problems with the dive issue.  I had one of the older Epi non reverse 'Bird 5 string basses and didn't have any issue with dive.  The string spacing was a bit tight though.

bassvirtuoso

• View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: March 16, 2010, 12:26:27 PM »
Now there's a gig shot!
-Dave

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #1602 on: March 16, 2010, 12:30:52 PM »

Scantily dressed Birds  ;)

Getting paid is just the icing on the cake!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: March 16, 2010, 12:52:08 PM »
Length has never bothered me much. My first bass was an Epiphone Thunderbird and that had tons of reach. It feels comfy and the neck makes a big difference when it comes to length. The bigger neck on the Epi fatigued my hand much quicker than this BaCH does.

I agree that once I get the strap pin moved, it'll be a lot better. I wonder if my "technique" of putting my right arm on the wing of the instrument will change any after switching from a Reverse Thunderbird to this NR.

"Roomy" is a term I like to use on these! I've been resting my arm on my TH-2 and holding it a little higher and it's surprisingly comfortable and reduces dive even further.

As an aside, I think the neck on the TH-2 is slightly wider and perhaps thinner than the second series (thin bodied) TH-1 I have. Anyone else notice a difference?
Clocks.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: March 16, 2010, 03:59:57 PM »
Robert's thoughts... (concentrate on the playing... just concentrate on the playing...)  ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...