Author Topic: BaCHbird  (Read 283278 times)

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
Re: BaCHbird
« Reply #1560 on: March 13, 2010, 07:04:14 AM »
What are the specs for the pots?  500K? 
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

jmcgliss

• View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: March 13, 2010, 07:05:05 AM »
If you guys are replacing all the pots, has anyone installed a Varitone yet?

I got one from Big D Guitars and built a project box to use with any bass.
Besides the deep and grind settings, I found the thin "woman tone" "suck switch"
setting is very useful live for driving outboard effects like an octaver.
RD Artist w/ Victory headstock (sold)
2009 Epiphone Thunderbird IV silverburst (mods pending)
2005 Lakland Decade Dark Star | 2009 55-02 Chi-Sonic
2005 Dark Star P-Bass | 1986 Pedulla Buzz |
Eden heads with various 12's and 10's | Ampeg B-15N

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #1562 on: March 13, 2010, 07:13:58 AM »
What are the specs for the pots?  500K? 

Yes that's what I used. 500 K audio for the volume pot

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #1563 on: March 13, 2010, 08:12:23 AM »
How does the wiring work with a push-pull pot?
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: March 13, 2010, 08:58:11 AM »
And yes, the pots are crap. I can highly recommend replacing them with CTS pots.
Plus, if you are going to replace them consider a push/pull pot. The Artecs can easily be wired as single coil/humbucker.
Gives you even more possiblities soundwise. Just pull the pot and you get a single coil. Push it back in and it's a humbucker.

Could you recommend specific pots by part number on this link to Allparts CTS pots choices, please? There's a ton of them!
Solid shafts take knobs with a set screw but split shafts generally use the splined knobs, correct?

http://www.allparts.com/CTS-s/208.htm
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #1565 on: March 13, 2010, 08:58:27 AM »
Well, sort of.

4 out of 5 had the pots and jack in the right place.
The one that Scott got, had them wrong.

And yes, the pots are crap. I can highly recommend replacing them with CTS pots.
Plus, if you are going to replace them consider a push/pull pot. The Artecs can easily be wired as single coil/humbucker.
Gives you even more possiblities soundwise. Just pull the pot and you get a single coil. Push it back in and it's a humbucker.

I get a kick out of all the little differences in the Bachs. Mine did come wired wrong but unlike my first one I did not have to put in longer wire to switch the jack and the tone pot, quick fix  :)
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #1566 on: March 13, 2010, 08:59:51 AM »
Here's a couple quick shots of mine. It's really dark here today. I'll take better pics when the light is better. I love the bass. There are a couple of minor finish imperfections, like a small chip in the finish on the side/corner of the fretboard. And the nut is a hair off center. But it sounds and plays and looks great. I'm really glad I bought it and will more than likely buy a blue one at some point. Thanks again Rob. The whole process couldn't have been easier.

That is beautiful! I think I see a honey burst in my future !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #1567 on: March 13, 2010, 09:01:19 AM »
My Bluebird has crap-quality electrics, I will change them for sure.
The pickup is good, don't make the mistake to change it without hear it with some good quality pots,jack/cap.
I agree the stock pup really sounds good!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #1568 on: March 13, 2010, 09:17:42 AM »
Scott's suggestion of a new Gibby case may be the way to go. Last time BaCH made these I think the cases were listed on the website but were not actually available. Maybe we bought them all!

I was in the kitchen playing the BaCH and suddenly remembered that with the thicker body on these the Epi case I modded for my black Bach won't work: not deep enough!

The modifications I made to mine probably cost me only $30 and the time and besides, it was a fun and cool project.

By the way, the two pickups sound like thunder!!!!
I modded one of the tan and pink  :puke: cases. I just pulled the fabric back, took out the foam, cut new foam and used spray adhesive in the fabric and slapped it back together. I got my new foam for free from a large furniture store chains  distribution center, they literaley have truck loads of the stuff from the shipping packaging.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #1569 on: March 13, 2010, 11:12:20 AM »
How does the wiring work with a push-pull pot?

Not too long ago I posted this in the Mod and Repair corner:

http://bassoutpost.com/index.php?topic=3371.0

saltymonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: March 13, 2010, 11:19:10 AM »
So I think I found a gig bag that is long enough for the Bachbird. It's the BC Rich bass gig bag. It reportedly holds any BC Rich bass including the Warlock which is huge with all those points and whatnot. I found shipping dimensions for the Warlock at 57" long. That probably includes the box but with the Bachbird being 51" long, I figured it was worth a shot. The Bachbird box is 54" long. The bag is reviewed well and reportedly has 30mm of padding. It is $55.99 at all the usual places. I just ordered one from MF so I will let you all know how it goes once it arrives. I have looked into just about every gig bag made and this one is the only one I could find that might be long enough. Here's the link from MF:

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/B.C.-Rich-Bass-Gig-Bag?sku=541182
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 11:32:48 AM by saltymonkey »

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: March 13, 2010, 11:34:54 AM »
The gig bag I've got is this:
http://www.9mileguitar.com/category.sc?categoryId=105
It's supposed to go with a Steinberger bass, but also suits the Bachbird just fine.

saltymonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: March 13, 2010, 11:51:29 AM »
It's supposed to go with a Steinberger bass, but also suits the Bachbird just fine

I did not see that one it looks nicer than the BC Rich. Is it a tight fit or is there some room?

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #1573 on: March 13, 2010, 11:53:21 AM »
I get a kick out of all the little differences in the Bachs.

Guess that's the charm of BaCH.
They certainly look like they're hand built. There were minor differences between the basses I've seen.
As long as those differences don't affect the quality of the instrument it's fine with me...

saltymonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: March 13, 2010, 12:48:36 PM »
It's supposed to go with a Steinberger bass, but also suits the Bachbird just fine

I cancelled my MF order and ordered this bag. Thanks for posting Stjofön Big. It just seems more substantial with a neck bracing system,  better and more pockets etc. I guess it would have made sense to ask what you guys that have owned these for a while were using. :mrgreen: