Author Topic: BaCHbird  (Read 283284 times)

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: BaCHbird
« Reply #1230 on: July 24, 2009, 03:48:59 PM »
I got no love and I bought two!

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: July 25, 2009, 05:33:24 AM »
Me neither. Maybe there is a problem shipping to America.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #1232 on: July 25, 2009, 06:53:32 AM »
I have to think that the total cost of shipping to the USA would put a case outrageously high.  If I decide to try one of those other BaCH models, I'll buy the case with it.  That would make the price good and offer additional protection in transit.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: July 25, 2009, 07:17:33 AM »
It might also be that the size would prevent it being shipped at all, regardless of price. We don't know size limits from his location.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #1234 on: July 25, 2009, 11:27:07 AM »
Size was an issue with the shipping of the BaCHbird too, yes.
Initially the shipping cost was really low, but then it turned out the Bachbird is oversized. Eventually they did find a way to ship them, but not for a real low  price.
So I guess the same goes for the case.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #1235 on: July 25, 2009, 02:34:39 PM »
Well, the BaCHBird is getting a real baptism of fire tonight.  Of all my basses, this is the one that I seem to be able to play in my current condition.  The Gibson pickup sounds really sweet at home so we'll see how the bass and I survive the night.  I'll try to get pics.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: July 25, 2009, 04:14:50 PM »
It's a good sign that you're able to play at all, I hope playing doesn't aggravate it.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #1237 on: July 25, 2009, 10:33:13 PM »
The BaCHBird was great!  Nice and fat!  I took a vicodin 10 before the first set.  I found myself pulling out my best Jack Bruce technique (index finger only), and managed the first set OK.  By the second set, night air and dew descended, essentially killing the PA.  I outlasted Mother Nature.  Pics later.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #1238 on: July 26, 2009, 02:33:30 PM »
Now that all participants have their BaCHbirds (I presume?) I thought it might be a nice idea to give you a little view in the kitchen.

When the project was already more than a half year underway BaCH finally sent me pictures of the (first) prototype.
The body shape looked good.
The color white was a bit of a surprise, since we had agreed on a clear coat finish.
But there was something about these pictures that worried me more: All pictures were cropped. None of them showed the headstock...

Here's why:

Now you see why the pics were cropped!
I have no idea where that Ibanez headstock idea came from? :o
So that first prototype was dismissed ;D

Few months later BaCH sent me some more interesting pictures.
This time it made me more confident that they were going to pull it off:
It featured their drawings for the bridge. Note how they must have been inspired by Scott's Badbird bridge! Their sketches show the expansion Scott designed in one drawing, and another one where they did it both ways.
In the end they simplified the bridge a little bit. But still, it works great!

« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 02:39:08 PM by Basvarken »

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: July 26, 2009, 02:55:01 PM »
Hey Rob, those pictures are great! Thanks for the insight into the build. Having seen a few other 'limited edition' basses built over the years, I'm really glad I was in on this one. I just wish I'd bought more!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #1240 on: July 26, 2009, 02:58:38 PM »
I wonder what became of the first prototype ? I think the headstock we got looks great ;) . To be imitated is the highest compliment right ? I spoke with Rob about this before. I came up with my first bridge in '83, there was no internet to show other players. With the advent of the internet and pc people saw my bridge and asked if I could make more, about as cool as it gets when someone likes your ideas. There are other cats making bridges, some like mine some not. At first I was a little ticked off but ya know what ? It is such a small pie pieces are not worth fighting over, I view all the other makers as brothers, compatriots. There is no real money in this just the love of bass and all things Thunderbird. The bridge on my Bach is a great piece of work I have no intention of swapping it out. Rob will Roman and the guys be doing another run of IIs ? Oh please say yes ! I have been meaning to sit down with my '69 and my Bach and do a side by side comparison but I have not had the chance, I will say the Bach gets more than a favorable evaluation !
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 03:46:47 PM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: July 26, 2009, 03:21:01 PM »
Interesting. And is this a new model from them? http://www.bachmusik.com/en/p100880/bach-bthb-bk/

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #1242 on: July 26, 2009, 04:07:12 PM »

I saw that 5er on their site awhile back..............It's interesting.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #1243 on: July 26, 2009, 08:08:58 PM »
Well, here's me in my prime.  I managed to find a position where I could rest my arm on top of of the bass and my hand was right at the strings.  I only had about 1 1/2" of forward finger motion, so I cranked the volume a little.

Here's my finished bird.  It endured the outside pretty well last night.

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: July 27, 2009, 06:40:48 AM »
Interesting. And is this a new model from them? http://www.bachmusik.com/en/p100880/bach-bthb-bk/

The black 5-er was a regular on UK eBay through Bach's German outlet, maybe a year ago. It certainly predates the Bachbird, hence the headstock on the prototype.

They (the German seller) disappeared quite suddenly after accepting some pretty low Best Offers.