Author Topic: BaCHbird  (Read 283273 times)

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
Re: BaCHbird
« Reply #1110 on: June 25, 2009, 09:26:27 AM »
Haha, oh, you definitely warned me, Mark, and I completely believed you (and have saved the PMs for mounting the T-bird pins).

I'll post pics of it the bass this evening when I get home.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #1111 on: June 25, 2009, 01:39:10 PM »

"It's, uh, slightly prone to neck dive. Heh, a relocated pin is definitely in the picture for this week. "

You can't say I didn't tell you about the neck dive Denis..... ;)
A bass with out neck dive just dosen't feel right to me  ;D
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #1112 on: June 25, 2009, 01:55:10 PM »

Hate to say it...........

But I just "man up" to it,  with my sissy girly arms  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #1113 on: June 25, 2009, 02:07:12 PM »
 It's here. I had to pick it up at the post office and I was worried that it was broken in shipment as the box was angled mid section of the neck, I drove home bummed sure it was broken. To my relief the bass was in one piece when I opened it up  :) OMG is all I can say, what a fantastic job Roman and Bach have done. I felt instantly at home on this bass, it just feels right. Of course I'd say that NRs being my bass of choice for so many years. My first thought is if you are looking for a non reverse Thunderbird don't waste your $ on a vintage Gibson. I am so impressed with the neck, beautiful slab of rosewood, the frets are dressed very nicely, the profile feels right and man is it straight ! One thing I notice right off the bat is The bridge is high but the action is low, it looks to me like the neck is set at a greater angle than a original  NR and the headstock angle is less, a good move, headstock snap should be less of a  problem than with a original. Even unplugged the bass sounds like a NR, Imho I believe shape and construction of a bass have a profound influence on it's sound. It is a bit heavier than my NRs, maybe do to finish or the type of mahogany used. My plans for this puppy ? I am going to leave the Artech pup, so far it sounds great through my little practice amp; not as blurry a little more defined than a vintage TB but it does seem to have that sparkle and shimmer. Bottom Line is  these are pro caliber basses. I am going to order more Bach NR Thunderbirds and leave their name on the headstock.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 07:25:33 PM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #1114 on: June 25, 2009, 02:12:19 PM »
Hate to say it...........

But I just "man up" to it,  with my sissy girly arms  ;)

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #1115 on: June 25, 2009, 03:26:11 PM »
It's here. I had to pick it up at the post office and I was worried that it was broken in shipment as the box was angled mid section of the neck, I drove home bummed sure it was broken. To my relief the bass was in one piece when I opened it up  :) OMG is all I can say, what a fantastic job Roman and Bach have done. I felt instantly at home on this bass, it just feels right. Of course I'd say that NRs being my bass of choice for so many years. My first thought is if you are looking for a non reverse Thunderbird don't waste your $ on a vintage Gibson. I am so impressed with the neck, beautiful slab of rosewood, the frets are dressed very nicely, the profile feels right and man is it straight !

+1 on all of that for me! Now let's get those pickguards going!  ;)

Hornisse

« Reply #1116 on: June 25, 2009, 03:40:50 PM »
They seem to be great right out of the box.  Mine was nearly in tune when I opened the box.  Took only 6 days to get it once Roman shipped it. 

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #1117 on: June 25, 2009, 04:42:20 PM »
They seem to be great right out of the box.  Mine was nearly in tune when I opened the box.  Took only 6 days to get it once Roman shipped it. 

All Hail Roman !

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: June 25, 2009, 05:14:25 PM »
My box was damaged too, about 2/3 up where the neck should be, but it was perfect when I opened it up.
Here's mine! The logo is only in one place too.  :) All hail Roman, indeed!

Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #1119 on: June 26, 2009, 12:53:13 AM »
Congratulations gentlemen!
Thank you for the short but detailed review Scott.
I am happy to see that a connaisseur like you really digs it.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #1120 on: June 26, 2009, 03:58:03 AM »
Congratulations gentlemen!
Thank you for the short but detailed review Scott.
I am happy to see that a connaisseur like you really digs it.
Rob thank you for getting this  done, with out your perseverance it never would have happened! You really have no idea how happy I am with this bass. As soon as I can I am going to buy a few more for stage. I retired my favorite NR about a year ago, I would be devestated if something happened to it at a gig. I slowly weaned myself off it, it was really hard to do. The Bach is a perfect replacement for it ! Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I think I'll put a model G in one just for fun ! I'll post pics soon.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: June 26, 2009, 04:27:10 AM »
"It is a bit heavier than my NRs, maybe due to finish or the type of mahogany used."

Scott can now apply for the Guiness Book of World Records as the only person on earth who registers the weight difference between a poly and a nitro layer.  :mrgreen:

"My plans for this puppy ? I am going to leave the Artech pup, so far it sounds great through my little practice amp; not as blurry a little more defined than a vintage TB but it does seem to have that sparkle and shimmer."

My sentiment exactly. The look of the Arctec is cheapish, but it has a sound of its own, I have nothing quite like it among all my other basses.

The B&CH basses would be great instruments if they cost three-times as much. For the money, they are simply mindblowing.

I don't think they really feel like an original Non Rev because their necks are so thin (my only worry: how will they stand up in ten years time?) and all my vintage bass playing has made me grow accustomed to and appreciate thick necks (which is why I think an original Non Rev has also a bit more fundamental), but I'm sure most people/senior citizens here prefer the thinner neck.

Uwe
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #1122 on: June 26, 2009, 05:09:10 AM »
 On the NRs I have had over the years the neck profiles have varied widely. My '69 has a very thick neck while my since sold near mint '67 had a pencil thin neck. The Bach seems to fall somewhere in the middle.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: June 26, 2009, 07:33:50 AM »

... but I'm sure most people/senior citizens here prefer the thinner neck.

No way. The thicker neck is better for thrashing you young whippersnappers.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: June 26, 2009, 08:07:32 AM »
Administrator, tell us, does finish influence weight?

And, yes, thin necks are for girls.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...