Author Topic: Lou Ottens  (Read 1092 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Lou Ottens
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2021, 02:02:04 PM »
I just read that Lou was also pivotal in the development of the CD on which he worked as early as 1972. I had no idea. A useful Dutchman then. But probably bad at yellow press too.  8)
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2021, 02:19:44 PM »
The sustainability of  the contained data is a huge practical factor in favor of CDs. My oldest CDs are now about 45 years old, some of them I've heard hundreds of times, they still sound like on the first day - vinyl can't compare with that.

Indeed.

The CD-R however is an entire different story. They tend to fade and become illegible after a few years.
Nobody told me that when I bought them to use as a back-up for digital files.
We're really living in the dark ages. In a few hundred years they will not be able to decipher what we saved on our hard disks, DVD-Rs, CD-Rs, optical discs, sy-quests, DAT tapes, floppy disks and all those obsolete media.
They won't have the equipment. And most of the data will be faded/erased anyway.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2021, 03:55:57 PM »
Agreed with all. The CD case is a flawed design, and all too vulnerable to handling - or even just to usage.

Regardless, the format beats the heck out of LPs.  Not sure why I haven't sold all of my vinyl (Yet)
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2021, 07:54:22 PM »
Are newer CD-Rs any better? I've been researching CD manufacturing for small runs, but unless I buy 500, they come on great looking (4 color printed) CD-Rs, and I'm worried about them having a 5 year shelf life.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2021, 10:46:33 PM »
I learned about C(D)-R(AP) the hard way too. First they begin sounding all brittle, then they click, finally they skip. Horrible.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2021, 10:17:40 AM »
I'm planning a cassette release with an act I'm working with. Probably some CD's for press and one chain of stores, but mostly digital, streaming and cassette for fun. We have som nice ideas I won't tell yet!

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2021, 12:32:05 PM »
A lot of the Indie kids here are pretty serious about their vinyl , but we do see some cassette releases .
I'm a dinosaur , I buy CDs from music stores . If I can't buy or order locally I'm off to the internet .

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2021, 04:00:47 PM »
The only way I'll settle for a digital (non CD) copy of anything is if it's not available in anything other than download (and even then I'll keep looking it it was ever available on CD). I much prefer a physical copy, and beyond the first generation of CD releases, I also agree that they sound superior to their vinyl counterparts; especially when remastered specifically for the medium (and even more so when played through a decent stereo setup .

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2021, 02:09:31 AM »
Maybe it's the harsh northern climate we have here, but CD's are being phased out in my household. I like CD sound, but if I go through my collection of LP's and CD's I think the CD's are in the saddest shape. Maybe was always careful with LP's, maybe the CD collecting started at a point in life when drinking at least four days a week was normal. I made the switch to MiniDisc and most of my record collection is now safe on that medium! And as a car audio format, MD can't be beat..

Since the age of 13 or so, I have recorded 90% of every session of every band I've been in. First on compact cassette of course, then four track cassette. When MD came along, recording on four track portastudio and mixing down to MD was incredibly hi-tech and proffessional!
Then I got this VMT-8 digital 8 track. Only 2 tracks in, but I hooked it up to the MD recorder optically and was able to record four tracks simultaneously. The last move was building a separate control room and studio in my basement, recording on a Tascam 388 reel to reel 8 track, mixing down to MD or directly to CD-R audio. Then I bought a pro tools setup and that killed the interest for recording for a few years until I recently got another 8 track reel to reel and a 4 track MD recorder :)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2021, 08:59:37 AM »
That's a heckuva collection of gear!!  8)
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2021, 01:59:36 PM »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2021, 07:28:05 AM »
The argument for CDs.

https://www.gearpatrol.com/tech/audio/a731474/reasons-to-buy-cds/

I find plenty to agree with there. To me it's logical that if I have the CD, I can create the portable file; vice versa doesn't work well.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2021, 09:43:52 AM »
I find plenty to agree with there. To me it's logical that if I have the CD, I can create the portable file; vice versa doesn't work well.

Personally, I would find it hard to do without CDs.  However, I'm around some people who don't seem to need them or want them. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2021, 10:56:49 AM »
Nobody I know that is without a decent vinyl or CD collection actually listens to "albums" - they all listen to "favorite songs".

I know that makes me sound elitist, but scattered song lists - like mixed tapes and K-Tel albums - devalue the music experience, that is like radio listening to me.

I don't read ten books at the same time either.