Author Topic: Music videos that feature Thunderbirds  (Read 266055 times)

Ken

• View Profile
Re: Music videos that feature Thunderbirds
« Reply #1770 on: April 13, 2023, 08:12:20 AM »
Britney is an airhead and a tragic figure. She does deserve to live her own life though, never mind how misguided her own decisions are.

Of all the Aguileras, Rihannas, Arianas, Kylies and other chick dance acts, I found Britney's music, lyrics, choreography and jailbait image always the least compelling.

One of the weirdest concepts that I love is that Taylor Swift is one of the most influential guitarists because of the number of young girls she's inspired to pick up a guitar.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: April 13, 2023, 08:36:23 AM »
I don't see Taylor Swift as a dance act at all though she has dominant choreography elements at times too, especially live.

And I have all her albums (for the avoidance of doubt: no, I do not yet identify as a 14-year-old girl, and you can stick to my previous pronouns he/him). She's a phenomenon and an artist. I actually found out about her first here at the LBO when we discussed Kim K's cerebral and always perceptive ex-hubby's award inanities with Fräulein Swift back in 2009. It was when I bought her first two CDs just to hear what she was like.

Britney was/is a product/object of the powers that be in comparison. More than any other of the dance act girls I can think of. Yes, you can get the girl out of the trailer park, but ...
« Last Edit: April 13, 2023, 09:05:49 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #1772 on: April 13, 2023, 12:24:00 PM »
It's difficult to separate given the number of high-profile co-writers, but I have the impression that Taylor Swift is a really substantial songwriter.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2023, 02:41:14 PM by uwe »
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: April 13, 2023, 02:41:46 PM »
There is a sort of samey recipe in her songwriting (or maybe I'm just too old to really detect the vast variation), she's not the Carole King or Joni Mitchell of her generation nor vocally an Ella Fitzgerald. But the music isn't without any merit either.

On one of her more recent albums was a bonus CD with her very rudimentary ideas which she apparently stores off the top of her head on her iPhone as the whim strikes her. Often just an a cappella melody, jingles really - before all the synth layers and fashionable "beats" are added. That was interesting to hear and doesn't let me doubt that her music stems from mostly her ideas.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2023, 02:49:34 PM by uwe »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: April 13, 2023, 04:13:55 PM »
Britney Spears ifs the poster child for white trash.

Taylor Swift is probably the best spokesperson autotune manufacturers have ever had.

She's in fine voice here, though.

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: April 13, 2023, 07:08:51 PM »
Britney Spears ifs the poster child for white trash.

Taylor Swift is probably the best spokesperson autotune manufacturers have ever had.

She's in fine voice here, though.

Kinda reminds me of this.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: April 14, 2023, 03:55:51 AM »
"Taylor Swift is probably the best spokesperson autotune manufacturers have ever had."

I know. On a lot of current female dance and other pop it seems to have become a constant stylistic element irrespective of whether it is needed for the protagonists to hit the notes or not. It has become a de rigueur sound component for female voices almost like distortion/overdrive is a sound component of rock guitar. Used so unsparingly and overtly, it cheapens the music in my ears. It's like fake lashes, you hear/see it at once, what is the point?

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #1777 on: April 14, 2023, 05:04:12 AM »
My sons listen to rap music that is really drowned in it.
The point is obviously not to make the "singing" sound good.

As Uwe said; it sounds horribly cheap to my ears.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: April 14, 2023, 06:34:09 AM »
Still, Taylor Swift is talented. So is Billy Joel. Britney? I don't think so.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #1779 on: April 14, 2023, 07:49:41 AM »
I tend to judge singers based on their solo sound, not when they sing in chorus with backups.  I've not heard enough of Swift singing solo to decide whether or not I consider her a good singer.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: April 17, 2023, 01:02:47 PM »
No visual, but 1964 Thunderbird IV.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: April 30, 2023, 06:57:24 AM »
Epic-Symphonic-Indie-Thrash-Metal with an ethereal voice. And a soapbar TBird. You couldn't be playing this kind of music with a 60ies Bird, much less a Bicentennial.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: April 30, 2023, 10:05:36 AM »
Epic-Symphonic-Indie-Thrash-Metal with an ethereal voice. And a soapbar TBird. You couldn't be playing this kind of music with a 60ies Bird, much less a Bicentennial.

Frankly, I don't think it matters a whole lot in this case. The garden variety Epi bolt-on he's playing doesn't really have a unique, singular voice.  While one couldn't probably appreciate the nuances of a more traditional Thunderbird in this sonic setting, I don't think the music would be impacted to any great degree. With the right amp, I think even a Bicentennial would hold its own. Given the, um, physical nature of the material, probably best to use something with a neck that is held on by screws, though.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: April 30, 2023, 10:23:28 AM »

I need to start wearing a hood on stage.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: May 02, 2023, 07:57:56 AM »
Frankly, I don't think it matters a whole lot in this case. The garden variety Epi bolt-on he's playing doesn't really have a unique, singular voice.  While one couldn't probably appreciate the nuances of a more traditional Thunderbird in this sonic setting, I don't think the music would be impacted to any great degree. With the right amp, I think even a Bicentennial would hold its own. Given the, um, physical nature of the material, probably best to use something with a neck that is held on by screws, though.

Oops, my bad, I didn't realize he was (only) playing an Epi (of the regular kind), I thought it was a Gibson with TB Plus soapies for the sublow impact, didn't recognize the telltale Epi pups with the beveled edges. Goes to show that with the right amp, you can pretty much play anything and still have a workable sound.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2023, 08:05:17 AM by uwe »