Author Topic: Music videos that feature Thunderbirds  (Read 265999 times)

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
Re: Music videos that feature Thunderbirds
« Reply #1590 on: October 18, 2021, 06:51:30 AM »
It never occirred to me that Midnight OIl's bass tone was Tbird.  These guys always defined it for me.

Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: October 18, 2021, 12:33:08 PM »
I was never very familiar with Midnight Oil, although I've always thought that was a fantastic song.  In video suggestions, I got a video in which the bassist was playing a Fender.  It sounded good, but the one I found with the Thunderbird I felt suited the song perfectly.  In fact, it was a surprise when I found that.  I wasn't expecting it. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: October 18, 2021, 12:41:58 PM »
I was never very familiar with Midnight Oil, although I've always thought that was a fantastic song.  In video suggestions, I got a video in which the bassist was playing a Fender.  It sounded good, but the one I found with the Thunderbird I felt suited the song perfectly.  In fact, it was a surprise when I found that.  I wasn't expecting it.

The message behind this song is really great.  Explained in the wikipedia page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beds_Are_Burning

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: October 18, 2021, 01:21:01 PM »
The message behind this song is really great.  Explained in the wikipedia page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beds_Are_Burning

A couple of days ago, I looked up a little about what Garrett has done.  It was admirable.  It looks like in more recent times he has become an environmental activist more than anything else. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: October 18, 2021, 01:35:06 PM »
They are a great band with a real knack for interesting chord changes. And the fact that they don't sing "squeeze me 'til the juice runs down my legs" all day is kinda helpful too. Peter Garrett, the lead vocalist and lyricist, is a lifelong activist for environmental and Australian pre-white settlement heritage and was a Minister in the Australian Labor government from 2007 to 2013 (for environment and the aborigines minority, later on for education).

PS: My post crossed with Michael's!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: October 18, 2021, 02:34:48 PM »
What is also helpful is Peter Garrett shows what it is like to have a unique stage presence.  So cool.  Very few are on that level, IMO.  I think maybe it doesn't appeal to everyone, but tastes vary.  I could never be that cool on stage if my life depended on it. 

--Blaise Pascal

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #1596 on: October 21, 2021, 02:51:58 PM »
Michael posted this in the "So what have you been listening to lately?"-thread, but it belongs here too. That's a 60ies TB with its slightly overdriven sound, absolutely gorgeous.

Ha! I just posted on that same thread, missed the replies here.
I was actually trying to figure out if it's a Greco because I thought I saw a 3-point bridge in front of the saddle and only ever seen that on some Grecos... hard to see since his picking hand is usually there.... but on closer look maybe what I'm seeing is just the bridge cover over a 2-point bridge?  So maybe it's a 60s II after all?  ???

Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: October 22, 2021, 07:03:57 AM »
It's hard to tell, but it sure sounds like it, that overdriven bark with occasional "farty" signal quavers. Which is why a vintage TBird wouldn't work in a speed metal band.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #1598 on: October 22, 2021, 09:03:02 AM »

New song by Slash and Myles Kennedy.

I think that is Todd Kerns on the Tbird.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: October 22, 2021, 09:38:23 AM »
It's hard to tell, but it sure sounds like it, that overdriven bark with occasional "farty" signal quavers. Which is why a vintage TBird wouldn't work in a speed metal band.

Bones Hillman's bass is highlighted probably even more in this song than in "Beds Are Burning."  This is from the article I posted in the other thread which may have got lost in the middle of all the other posts being posted at the same time over there.  The writer says----

The tone on this track should literally be deemed the blueprint for any modern alt-rock bassist: swapping out his trusty P Bass in favour of a humbucker-equipped Gibson Thunderbird, Hillman cranks up the gain and lays down one of his best ever basslines."

https://mixdownmag.com.au/features/seven-of-bones-hillmans-best-bass-moments-with-midnight-oil/

Midnight Oil "Underwater" track from the album "Breathe" (1996).

https://mixdownmag.com.au/features/seven-of-bones-hillmans-best-bass-moments-with-midnight-oil/

--Blaise Pascal

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #1600 on: October 25, 2021, 07:26:35 AM »
Bones Hillman's bass is highlighted probably even more in this song than in "Beds Are Burning."  This is from the article I posted in the other thread which may have got lost in the middle of all the other posts being posted at the same time over there.  The writer says----

The tone on this track should literally be deemed the blueprint for any modern alt-rock bassist: swapping out his trusty P Bass in favour of a humbucker-equipped Gibson Thunderbird, Hillman cranks up the gain and lays down one of his best ever basslines."

Midnight Oil "Underwater" track from the album "Breathe" (1996).

Excellent!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: October 26, 2021, 12:08:25 PM »
So regret not seeing this band... imagine a sweat box like the Marquee Club with this lot going nuts... oh well...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #1602 on: November 03, 2021, 03:50:41 PM »
Michael posted this in the "So what have you been listening to lately?"-thread, but it belongs here too. That's a 60ies TB with its slightly overdriven sound, absolutely gorgeous.

Love Midnight Oil  one of the few bands of the 90s worth listening to.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 04:44:51 PM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #1603 on: November 05, 2021, 07:14:38 AM »

Love Midnight Oil  one of the few bands of the 90s worth listening to.

Perhaps because they're an 80s band. :P  Beds are Burning was released in 87 and that was from their 5th or 6th album.  The 90s was a really bad time for the radio - there was good stuff being put out just not so much on mainstream stations.

Anyway their first album was 1978.  This is them performing their first single in 81.  Bit more spazz punk back then:

Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #1604 on: November 17, 2021, 04:09:57 PM »
NR Tbird with The Beat (don't think it's a Gibson though)