Author Topic: Music videos that feature Thunderbirds  (Read 265998 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: Music videos that feature Thunderbirds
« Reply #1485 on: April 30, 2021, 01:27:42 PM »
  Dan Hartman's bass suit. Cost 5k if I remember correctly the wiring and batteries were problematic. I  remember him describing how he said he could feel the bass notes in the gut.  Also remember him saying it suffered tonally due to lack of body masss. On a side not I saw the EWG with Rick Derringer in '73 great show though no body suit just a P bass if I recall. 
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #1486 on: April 30, 2021, 01:31:58 PM »
  Some recent gig video my beat '66 through my Terror Bass rig. I am covering the piano interlude in Ready for Love. Sorry it's so short,  honestly I just happy someone actually caught it. https://youtube.com/shorts/27EmELJ0jfM?feature=share
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: April 30, 2021, 03:43:03 PM »
Good Bad Co groove!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #1488 on: May 01, 2021, 03:49:02 AM »
Good Bad Co groove!
  Thanks Uwe! My Zeppelin tribute opens with a set of Bad Co., makes gig much easier and  we get all the $ Also gives me a chance to play my fretless 7ender Precision,  sacrilege I know.  ;)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #1489 on: May 01, 2021, 05:09:37 AM »
sounds great Scott!

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #1490 on: May 06, 2021, 08:16:45 PM »

More of the little monster with a pick.......

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: May 07, 2021, 05:40:16 AM »
Sweet tone. Did you change up the signal chain? Seems better. Interesting that it looks like your up stroking the downbeats on the pumping eighths.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #1492 on: May 07, 2021, 07:32:07 AM »
Sweet tone. Did you change up the signal chain? Seems better. Interesting that it looks like your up stroking the downbeats on the pumping eighths.

No change in the signal chain which is; Thunderbird>cable>GK700RBII>SWR6x10. No toys of any kind in either video, however it's important to note that the pickup in that bass is so hot I have to engage the -10db pad just to keep it at a recordable level, otherwise I'd be blowing up the iphone's ability to record. Furthermore while it does an ok job of recording, it's not the best device to try to really capture what a bass guitar actually sounds like, complicated further by Youtube's compression of the sound file as well.
 Regarding the picking, I'm just just doing down and up strokes, honestly I should have stood up to play the demo as I would likely have played the song much better and down stroked only to give it the ferocity it really needs. 
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: May 13, 2021, 01:40:33 PM »
Tony Sales, later of the criminally underrated Tin Machine with THAT SINGER, playing some Cold Metal with Hot Mahogany!

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: May 13, 2021, 05:55:53 PM »
I remember reading about Andy McCoy playing with Iggy, but I never saw them. I'm guessing that they're miming to a playback track here just because it sounds so good. Nice to see evidence that it really happened!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: May 14, 2021, 04:42:56 AM »
But it's not the studio cut

that had Steve Jones play the riff in a more monolithic fashion (Andy McCoy has more of a Keith Richards groove). The bass is different too (as is Iggy's vocal) and it's quite a bit faster. So if it is indeed pre-recorded, then this line-up must have done it und lip-synched it very well.

I'm no Iggy or Steve Jones biographer, but my understanding is that while Steve Jones played the guitar on Iggy's 1988 Instinct album (unjustly derided as an "LA Metal album" at the time) and did the odd TV appearance

(that's him with the Les Paul on the right, long curly hair and all),

he didn't do the ensuing tour where the little Finn took his place.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 04:50:26 AM by uwe »

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #1496 on: May 14, 2021, 05:04:33 AM »
it's live as far as I can tell

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #1497 on: May 14, 2021, 07:38:27 AM »
Tony Sales, later of the criminally underrated Tin Machine with THAT SINGER, playing some Cold Metal with Hot Mahogany!

Wow, I like this a lot more than the studio version. I was never much of a Stones fan, but sometimes I love that kind of groove. Very rock and roll!

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #1498 on: May 14, 2021, 10:16:54 AM »

I'm no Iggy or Steve Jones biographer, but my understanding is that while Steve Jones played the guitar on Iggy's 1988 Instinct album (unjustly derided as an "LA Metal album" at the time) and did the odd TV appearance

(that's him with the Les Paul on the right, long curly hair and all),

How can you even tell that's him?  The few shots of face are kinda indistinct and the body language is kinda wrong or not his usual thing anyway. He did have long wavy hair at the time but so did everyone else in LA.  I know it says in the youtube caption, but that's hardly reliable (could just assume due to the album credit).  I can barely hear his guitar over the other dude (also weird) so can't be sure that way either.

But yeah that first vid ya posted feels live to me.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: May 14, 2021, 04:04:13 PM »
Hey Punk, I have - unlike you probably - his two LA Metal solo albums from around that same time. He sounds und looks there, the Paula low-slung, exactly the same.

And then his solo in the middle of Iggy's Cold Metal? Typical for him.

I know it's hard for ya, a (S)Ex-Pistol playing with washed up 70ies has-beens ... You doubt that he plays and sings (the second verse) here too?

With the lead singer from this renowned Punk outfit, produced by Ian Paice of whatchamacallit, can it get any worse really?

Remember, I was devouring the NME and listening to Brit Punk when you weren't even born!  :rimshot:

Honorary mention of what Michael Des Barres did as well ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMvD9sFzXf4&list=RDYMvD9sFzXf4&start_radio=1&rv=YMvD9sFzXf4&t=72

« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 04:19:53 PM by uwe »