Author Topic: Music videos that feature Thunderbirds  (Read 266061 times)

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
Re: Music videos that feature Thunderbirds
« Reply #1470 on: March 30, 2021, 09:10:46 AM »
That Slade tune reminded me of this flash in the pan.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #1471 on: April 02, 2021, 05:15:26 AM »
Moving on to nicer things, Jim Lea with a TBird is a rare sight, but here he is in the vid to Slade's last single before calling it a day. Noddy Holder is already relegated to only singing the chorus with Jim doing the verse. It sounds a bit like something Def Leppard would do.

No doubt, Scott will wish to thank me for this.  8)

Was it a band politics thing,  or Jim wrote it so he wanted to sing it. cuz, like, Noddy still has it. Though it does sound like a bunch of stacked vocal takes (which is totally my jam).  The production differential between them is kinda funny.  Also Jim sounds a little constipated, but it's the way he's trying to ape Noddy's schtick probably.  ... wikipedia says it was originally a Jim solo track that he had already mostly recorded before Polydor asked them to reunite to record 2 promo singles for the greatest hits compilation they were about to release; their contract expired in 87 and they went on hiatus after that. So Noddy was coming in to a near done record and added backups.

Also, I'm not sure the word "relegated' works when you get to sing the chorus; that's usually the money hook.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #1472 on: April 05, 2021, 08:25:01 AM »

Me, my Studio and I, wrecking some Toto...... :gay:

https://youtu.be/2z52HVXlTho?list=RD2z52HVXlTho 
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #1473 on: April 05, 2021, 11:32:31 AM »
Dang, Mark, you really lay it down! That's right on the money.  :toast:
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 03:28:24 PM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #1474 on: April 06, 2021, 07:38:06 AM »

Thanks Al, I'm just trying to keep what few chops I have together!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #1475 on: April 06, 2021, 10:09:25 AM »
Excellent! And thanks for not making it Rosanna or Africa.  ;D

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #1476 on: April 06, 2021, 11:44:05 AM »

No problem there! Idle hands = Satan's workshop.......Sorry Uwe!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: April 06, 2021, 04:54:57 PM »
Why should I take issue when young girls play along so skillfully to old DP tunes? It's to be applauded!!!

I never do. Play along to DP, I mean. "Knowing how it goes" robs me of the magic. I'm not worthy. I don't know more than, say, five DP tunes from start to finish on bass, probably less. I play along to the Stones all the time, to an extent that some  Bill Wyman has begun rubbing off on me.

I'm regressing fast. I used to be this kid with a highly aggressive clanky, bi-amped sound with Hartke speakers playing Kramers, Rics and Kubickis with fresh roundwounds straight out of the package, and now look at me, I currently play a 60 year old short scale
banjo tuner LP Junior to songs like "You Can't Always Get What You Want" (all three chords!) - the TV yellow one (now 'ere's a story to be told re the origins of that particular fin ...) Dave procured for me many moons ago - with a decade-old set of flatwounds over an Orange combo that is mostly only barking mids over 12 Inch speakers ...  ;D My bandmates go: "Can't you add more treble?" And I say: "That train left the station like 25 years ago ...".
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 05:04:48 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: April 07, 2021, 04:26:14 AM »

"Africa" is 21 on this "Dad Rock" list.  I don't mind the song, although I like "Hold the Line" better.  A good cover up above by Mark, too.

https://www.ajournalofmusicalthings.com/how-do-you-feel-about-this-cd-collection-called-dad-rock-i-guess-it-depends-on-how-old-you-feel/
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #1479 on: April 07, 2021, 08:05:11 AM »
As someone fully eligible (and even past eligible) for being a dad rock guy...and possibly eligible for granddad rock status....

I think Africa is a beautiful, haunting piece. It has a rare gentle quality and a memorable sound.

It may have been overplayed, but that doesn't mean it's not a really good performance and tune.

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #1480 on: April 07, 2021, 10:59:36 AM »

Thank you Uwe, I thought covering the DP might be a bit of an invasion of things you hold dear!
Well, with your band you're playing just Stones tunes if I recall, I'd be all over a shorty for that kind of project as well - I still want an EB3 someday as I think it would sound great through a more contemporary rig - doubtful there will be much clank!
I'm really looking at '64-'65 Thunderbird IIs, it may actually happen soon. 

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: April 07, 2021, 11:03:52 AM »
Why should I take issue when young girls play along so skillfully to old DP tunes? It's to be applauded!!!

I never do. Play along to DP, I mean. "Knowing how it goes" robs me of the magic. I'm not worthy. I don't know more than, say, five DP tunes from start to finish on bass, probably less. I play along to the Stones all the time, to an extent that some  Bill Wyman has begun rubbing off on me.

I'm regressing fast. I used to be this kid with a highly aggressive clanky, bi-amped sound with Hartke speakers playing Kramers, Rics and Kubickis with fresh roundwounds straight out of the package, and now look at me, I currently play a 60 year old short scale
banjo tuner LP Junior to songs like "You Can't Always Get What You Want" (all three chords!) - the TV yellow one (now 'ere's a story to be told re the origins of that particular fin ...) Dave procured for me many moons ago - with a decade-old set of flatwounds over an Orange combo that is mostly only barking mids over 12 Inch speakers ...  ;D My bandmates go: "Can't you add more treble?" And I say: "That train left the station like 25 years ago ...".

There is a bassist I talk to sometimes online.  He talks about how he keeps getting better all the time.  I can't identify with that.  I identify more with the regressing fast thing.  A bass like that would be a nice bass to regress with, though. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: April 07, 2021, 11:07:40 AM »
As someone fully eligible (and even past eligible) for being a dad rock guy...and possibly eligible for granddad rock status....

I think Africa is a beautiful, haunting piece. It has a rare gentle quality and a memorable sound.

It may have been overplayed, but that doesn't mean it's not a really good performance and tune.

The "Africa" video itself was good, too, IMO.  It competed well against all those other videos on MTV at the time. 

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: April 07, 2021, 11:50:27 AM »
You can't blame people for being fine musicians. And Toto were/are. Yes, I know it's not sweaty club rock'n'roll (which I like too), but it's beautifully crafted music in the best sense of the word. And both Rosanna and Africa have a certain light-handedness without ever sounding wimpy.

I've seen Toto live, are they a captivating live act oozing charisma? Nope. But if there is just a little bit of musician still in you, you gladly watch them going about their work. It's musical as opposed to athletic (Dream Theater comes to mind, not that they have their audience too).
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #1484 on: April 29, 2021, 08:49:45 PM »

The Greco Thunderbird II, monster of a bass.