Author Topic: Music videos that feature Thunderbirds  (Read 266038 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Music videos that feature Thunderbirds
« Reply #1455 on: March 28, 2021, 09:22:24 AM »
Yeah, what happened to her?
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #1456 on: March 28, 2021, 11:54:29 AM »

We had what I would call some pretty serious differences, we found that she was participating in what I would call alt-right hate groups (yes, think crooked crosses) and we dumped her on the spot. No room in my band or any part of my life for that. 
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: March 28, 2021, 01:00:41 PM »
We had what I would call some pretty serious differences, we found that she was participating in what I would call alt-right hate groups (yes, think crooked crosses) and we dumped her on the spot. No room in my band or any part of my life for that.

Wait, what? It seems so antithetical to the core values of the band. Is she trans?

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #1458 on: March 28, 2021, 01:18:17 PM »

Yes she is, but I can't explain how she rationalizes such matters, line in the sand for me. She's lucky I let get her gear out of my house in one piece.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: March 28, 2021, 02:11:16 PM »
That's highly surprising, considering... :o
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #1460 on: March 28, 2021, 02:17:52 PM »
Seems like there must be a lot of cognitive dissonance there - or at least you would hope there is.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: March 28, 2021, 05:47:31 PM »
I really find it incomprehensible.  So sorry, Veronica.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: March 28, 2021, 06:00:26 PM »
That reminds me of that documentary of a KKK guy who was a rabid Hendrix fan (and guitarist himself) and had his whole house decorated with either Hendrix memorabilia or Klan Krap. He didn't see a disconnect at all. In his mind, Hendrix wasn't black.  :o

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: March 28, 2021, 06:01:37 PM »
That reminds me of that documentary of a KKK guy who was a rabid Hendrix fan (and guitarist himself) and had his whole house decorated with either Hendrix memorabilia or Klan Krap. He didn't see a disconnect at all. In his mind, Hendrix wasn't black.  :o

Too bad this forum doesn't have the upside down smiley.  It would be perfect for that.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: March 28, 2021, 06:03:54 PM »
Moving on to nicer things, Jim Lea with a TBird is a rare sight, but here he is in the vid to Slade's last single before calling it a day. Noddy Holder is already relegated to only singing the chorus with Jim doing the verse. It sounds a bit like something Def Leppard would do.

No doubt, Scott will wish to thank me for this.  8)

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: March 28, 2021, 08:11:57 PM »

I guess he had never heard the story of Hendrix once being chased across a field by some white guys just because he was black.  If I'm not mistaken, Billy Cox told that story. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #1466 on: March 28, 2021, 08:13:55 PM »
Moving on to nicer things, Jim Lea with a TBird is a rare sight, but here he is in the vid to Slade's last single before calling it a day. Noddy Holder is already relegated to only singing the chorus with Jim doing the verse. It sounds a bit like something Def Leppard would do.

No doubt, Scott will wish to thank me for this.  8)

I'm thanking you for it - Having never heard it before, of course I like it - it's SLADE!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: March 29, 2021, 05:00:52 AM »
It was Slade's last attempt to crack Yank charts - at a time when they had already stopped being a touring entity due to both Lea and Holder having become road weary after 20 years of constant touring (and repeated failed attempts to break through in the States). And although it is tuneful and catchy, I wouldn't rank it among Jim Lea's more natural compositions, it's very "hit from the construction kit" (that is also why it sounds so Def Leppard'ish), a bit desperate. It went nowhere.

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #1468 on: March 29, 2021, 07:54:23 AM »

It's so not like Slade, the bass isn't anything like what J. Lea is known for, letting him sing the majority of song, in some ways it's simplicity. I think they'd have had better fortune staying in the UK and just being true to themselves, likely their style would have evolved but maybe in a more natural fashion rather than something forced. Had they become more simplistic in the vein of ACDC who knows where they could have gone?

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: March 29, 2021, 07:41:20 PM »
Jim has a very nice, almost Brit Pop voice, but of course it can't compare with Noddy's "fog horn" (yet tuneful) in its prime.

Here he's all beatlish (always a big influence in his writing):

I'd love to hear Noddy unplugged, he could still do that.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 07:47:02 PM by uwe »