Author Topic: Music videos that feature Thunderbirds  (Read 266066 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Music videos that feature Thunderbirds
« Reply #1365 on: October 08, 2020, 08:27:23 AM »
"I'm also glad to put more energy towards building my model railroad, so, I got that going for me ..."

Sigh, that's exactly what I feared, no lockdown comes without repercussions for us all. They only come out at night and in their cellars.

Your diorama will feature contemporary influences, Mark?

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #1366 on: October 08, 2020, 09:01:40 AM »
"I'm also glad to put more energy towards building my model railroad, so, I got that going for me ..."

Sigh, that's exactly what I feared, no lockdown comes without repercussions for us all. They only come out at night and in their cellars.

Your diorama will feature contemporary influences, Mark?

Thankfully no, I don't attempt to portray anything current.  The layout will represent an area in Utah during 1976-'77, blissfully ignorant of modern elements, no graffiti or nasty trashed freight cars.......There will be random nude sunbathers and outdoor BDSM.

A bit more my speed - slow  :-*

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: October 08, 2020, 09:07:25 AM »
Lots of cool Thunderbirds and other cool basses in this video

Nice song and best vid ever. To sum it up: "I have tons of vintage Gibsons but 80% of the time I prefer playing my '72 Ric"  :mrgreen:
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: October 11, 2020, 08:21:12 AM »
The Motors were the offspring of the English pub rock band Duck de Luxe. Here they are, from -77 I'd guess. Whether that white T-bird is a 60's one, or from -76, I can't tell.

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: October 11, 2020, 11:01:48 AM »
The Motors were the offspring of the English pub rock band Duck de Luxe. Here they are, from -77 I'd guess. Whether that white T-bird is a 60's one, or from -76, I can't tell.

Almost positive it's a bicentennial. Pretty sure that's a 3-point bridge and bicentennial pickguard logo.

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: October 11, 2020, 01:38:33 PM »
It is definitely a Bicentennial.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: October 14, 2020, 10:44:16 AM »
And it definitely sounds like a BCR song too. :mrgreen: Not that I dislike(d) the Rollers.

The Motors, much hyped at the time in the rock mags (they had some punk credibility though they weren't), sounded completely different with every single. They started as a poor man's Status Quo

and progressed to something more 10cc'ish ...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #1372 on: October 14, 2020, 11:13:06 AM »
Each time I hear that song Airport, I have to chuckle.
It brings back memories of a tour that we did with my former band Bittermoon. We had become good friends with Rob Lamothe (then ex-Riverdogs) who contributed on our album One Good Eye. And we did a few tours as his band, playing his songs and a few Bittermoon songs.

When we were putting dates together for our second tour, we got an email from Søren Lindberg, who was personal manager for Brian Robertson (ex-Thin Lizzy, -Motorhead, -Frankie Miller). He told us Robbo woud like to join us on the tour with Lamothe, since he was a huge fan of Rob.
I couldn't believe it; the guy who had been in the classic line -up of my all time favorite band, who played the iconic solo on the live version of Still In Love With You, wanted to make music with us?!

But it happened. He showed up. And he joined us on stage on that tour.
Now Robbo is a character, Very funny Scotsman with a temper. Full of rock n roll anecdotes.
And he was thirsty. Very thirsty...

What does this have to do with Airport?
Well Søren and Robbo preferred to travel in my oldtimer 1968 Mercedes 250 in stead of the band bus. When we drove off after each gig, they sat on the back seat and Floor and I sat in the front seats.
And the two kept yapping about collegue rockers in true Statler and Waldorf style. But because Robbo drank so much we had to stop quite often, so he could jump out and take a leak.
Robbo had his own way of letting us know it was time to stop again. Each time his bladder gave a signal, Robbo started humming the melody of that song and instead of "Airport" he sang "Pit stop"

Pit stop, tada-dada dada. Pit stop tada-dada dada.  :mrgreen:

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: October 14, 2020, 04:04:59 PM »
Thank you for leaking that to us.

I didn't know you were in Thin Lizzy! That explains everything.  :mrgreen:

I saw him with Motörhead (colorful new wave T-shirt, jogging pants and hair dyed red, I'm not sure he had inhaled the Motörhead dress code, other substances perhaps, but he played well) and - at the same festival - encoring with Thin Lizzy. I believe that was their last gig ever, Lynott and Gorham were finished as regards their live gig stamina. And there was a distinct feel of "phew, I'm glad I didn't have to go out with them like this" about Robbo, though he retained grace about it. Sykes, of course, acted like he was the most important lead guitarist Thin Lizzy EVER had, but then he does/did that in every band he plays/played. Gorham was probably craving to shoot up backstage once more, he seemed miserable.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #1374 on: October 15, 2020, 07:08:50 AM »
But it happened. He showed up. And he joined us on stage on that tour.
Now Robbo is a character, Very funny Scotsman with a temper. Full of rock n roll anecdotes.
And he was thirsty. Very thirsty...

That is equal parts cool and funny!

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #1375 on: October 15, 2020, 08:50:44 AM »
Oh yes, Robbo always went against the grain. If the Motörhead uniform was long hair, black leather and bullet belts, he cut his hair, wore jogging pants and a sweatband.
He even refused to play Eddie Clarke era songs.

When he toured with us he wore skintight black latex pants and on his feet glossy black flip-flops! Mind you, it was mid winter  :mrgreen:

One night when we drove back from our gig in Purmerend, the weather conditions got worse with every kilometer that we drove south, back to Arnhem.
It was freezing and when we got near Amsterdam the road conditions got really dangerous. The asphalt had turned into black ice and we saw an increasing number of cars that had slipped off the highway and parked themselves into a ditch or guardrail.

Despite the fact that I had slowed down the speed of our Mercedes considerably, we also got in a spin at a certain moment. We made a 360 pirouette on the tarmac and when the car came to a halt we were two inches away from another crashed car with a traffic sign planted in the front windshield.
Robbo and Søren were still quite cheerful in the back... Nobody was hurt, the car was not damaged.

After I had gotten over the anxiety of a near fatal accident I tried to drive the car back onto the asphalt to continue our journey home.
But the wheels kept slipping in the snow and the frozen mud of the side verge.
So we had to push the car back on the road. Floor got behind the steering wheel and Søren, Robbo and myself had to push the big old Mercedes out of the snow.

Imagine the legendary Robbo with his skintight latex pants and his Gucci flip-flops, out in the winter night, slipping and sliding, freezing his toes off, swearing and cursing in his beautiful Scottish accent... :mrgreen:

That must have been one of the most surreal, funny and the same time scary moments in my whole life.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 11:42:00 AM by Basvarken »

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: October 15, 2020, 10:35:06 AM »
Nobody , but nobody can complain like the Scots . They've elevated it way beyond a mere art form .

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: October 15, 2020, 11:54:50 AM »
 :mrgreen:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: October 15, 2020, 08:55:33 PM »
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 09:16:22 PM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #1379 on: October 16, 2020, 12:47:28 AM »
 :mrgreen: :toast: