Author Topic: Music videos that feature Thunderbirds  (Read 266084 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Music videos that feature Thunderbirds
« Reply #630 on: June 16, 2015, 05:37:41 PM »
Spokane is probably more angry than embarrassed, I'd guess.

Dolezal wouldn't be news if it was just about her passing as black. The problem is that she lied for financial advantage. Her teaching position, her NAACP position, etc.

Then there's the matter of her repeated lies about being the victim of hate crimes, never with any evidence.

She still won't fess up. She's mentally ill.

That puts a better point on it....but if she got her NAACP position by claiming to be black - and not by merit - that says something about their selection process.  Same for her teaching position; why do you have to be black to teach in that program?  (Other similar programs do have whites teaching in them.)  I think it pays to look at the reverse positions.

Bottom line; yes, in practice, those positions actually are pretty much reserved for blacks.  What does that say about things?

What a mess.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #631 on: June 16, 2015, 11:53:33 PM »
I don't know anything about the teaching position she had.  But her NAACP position was a voluntary one with no pay. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #632 on: June 17, 2015, 12:44:15 AM »
This is interesting but seems like a discussion for the outpost cafe.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #633 on: June 17, 2015, 06:17:20 AM »
But it's not like this kind of thing hasn't been done before in American history.  During the Harlem Renaissance, for instance, there were some white women married to black artists and intellectuals involved in that movement who passed themselves off as black.

They were at least black by marriage ;P

seriously, though, I wouldn't know about that, because not my time/city/country, but just because something's been done before doesn't make it ok.... and I'm sure those ladies weren't able to physically take on the part as much as this time.  Did any of them apply for public or other office under the guise of being a visible minority (in a time when that sort of thing would be a criteria vs a roadblock?).  There was less to gain (and so much to lose) from doing this back in the day; this ladylooks to have done this (partially) for gain (career advancement).

Anyway, I'm not bothered; just saying I understand why the black community would be.  To be fair, some of them aren't bothered either, but like me just think the whole thing is whack.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #634 on: June 17, 2015, 07:54:31 AM »
They were at least black by marriage ;P

seriously, though, I wouldn't know about that, because not my time/city/country, but just because something's been done before doesn't make it ok.... and I'm sure those ladies weren't able to physically take on the part as much as this time.  Did any of them apply for public or other office under the guise of being a visible minority (in a time when that sort of thing would be a criteria vs a roadblock?).  There was less to gain (and so much to lose) from doing this back in the day; this ladylooks to have done this (partially) for gain (career advancement).

Anyway, I'm not bothered; just saying I understand why the black community would be.  To be fair, some of them aren't bothered either, but like me just think the whole thing is whack.

Mostly what I know about the Harlem Renaissance is what I encountered in history courses from time to time through the years.  I don't have any detailed knowledge of it.  But there was a Vanderbilt professor talking about it on TV yesterday.  He is the one who pointed out that several black intellectuals associated with the Harlem Renaissance had white wives who passed as black.  When asked why they did that, he noted that people had assumed they were black because they were married to black men and they hadn't felt the need to correct people on their mistaken assumptions.  He also pointed out that American history had other examples of this kind of thing.  I think probably when things like this happen there will always be some blacks who won't accept it, won't like it, etc.  That's, of course, what Rachel Dolezal is now finding out the hard way.  Still, although what she did was unwise, it's not like it was something terribly offensive, IMO.  It was strange, but there is a lot of strange stuff out there, both good and bad.  That's why I actually agree with that saying "truth is stranger than fiction." 

It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #635 on: June 17, 2015, 08:07:44 AM »
Yeah, I don't the the Harlem Renaissance situation as even remotely similar to the current one if it is only what you have described. The main difference being the intent (lack thereof in the Harlem cases).

Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #636 on: June 17, 2015, 08:36:24 AM »
Yeah, I don't the the Harlem Renaissance situation as even remotely similar to the current one if it is only what you have described. The main difference being the intent (lack thereof in the Harlem cases).

I think you might want to go beyond what I have described.  It's only a rough paraphrase of what a Vanderbilt professor who is supposedly an expert on the topic said.  In his opinion, the two situations were comparable.  He also was remaining neutral on the subject and so am I.  I've studied race relations to an extent in school, but it isn't the kind of thing I particularly want to delve into very much on a a message board.  It's way too controversial and nuanced for me to try to navigate. 

--Blaise Pascal

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #637 on: June 17, 2015, 10:38:18 AM »
This is interesting but seems like a discussion for the outpost cafe.

Yep, I don't I've posted this here.  :)

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: June 18, 2015, 09:39:30 AM »
Say what you will about The Nasty Habits, but at least they don't pretend to be someone they're not. It's all real. Unlike this Ms Duh-Liesel or whatever her name is.

:-X :-X :-X :-X
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 06:35:09 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #639 on: June 18, 2015, 10:09:14 AM »
Say what you will about The Nasty Habits, but at least they don't pretend to be someone they're not. It's all real. Unlike this Ms Duh-Liesel or whatever her name is.

:-X :-X :-X :-X

I take pleasure in this  ;D

« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 06:34:50 AM by uwe »
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: June 19, 2015, 06:39:06 AM »
That Jackson sounds absof***inglutely killer.  Immediately noticed it when I played it. And you play that bass run with a a great groove and nice pick snap, sounds better than on the Bangles original!!!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #641 on: June 19, 2015, 07:54:06 AM »
That Jackson sounds absof***inglutely killer.  Immediately noticed it when I played it. And you play that bass run with a a great groove and nice pick snap, sounds better than on the Bangles original!!!

Agreed! Are those EMGs?

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #642 on: June 19, 2015, 10:07:46 AM »
I take pleasure in this  ;D
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #643 on: June 19, 2015, 12:14:36 PM »
That does indeed sound nasty... suits the band name!  Nicely played!
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #644 on: June 19, 2015, 06:48:01 PM »

Thanks guys!
 I think the original was on a keyboard, but I'm often wrong about this sort of thing....
Uwe, I remember you saying "that bass is a razor" when you played it, this was about two weeks after you and Edith were here - on Halloween.  Tom, they are EMGs with a pre amp, I forget who's  tho, it's my only active bass, nice to have every now and then. Kinda rare too, one of only 56 made before Henry J rattled the lawsuit saber back in '93.