Author Topic: Would You Choose Either of These?  (Read 3765 times)

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Would You Choose Either of These?
« on: March 02, 2013, 07:24:17 PM »
I know these things are subjective but I thought I'd ask anyway. I'm trying to sell a cabinet I never use anymore (Avatar Delta B212 for $225) and a guy contacted me about trading for one of two basses.

Squier Short Scale Jaguar (Duncan Basslines Bridge pickup and a KSM bridge) or...

Gretsch Electromatic 2202 (black, with KSM bridge and a TKL hard case, he also said it's one of the older ones).

The stock Squier sells for $180 at MF. The newer Gretsch 2210 (looks to be the newer model of the 2202) sells for $244 (no idea what the older one sold for).

I figure at a minimum either of these could be a good started bass in case one of my boys shows interest, but I have no experience with either one. There are some threads here that extoll both basses for the money but I thought I'd ask anyway. Is one far better quality than the other? I don't need another bass, but I don't need the cabinet either and at least the bass might be of use. Any thoughts?

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Would You Choose Either of These?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 08:08:09 PM »
I have had both, and both are very good basses and fully gig worthy. Edge to the 2202 which IMO is one of the best values in a short scale.  Powerful sound, you won't be disappointed. That pickup is wonderful and the bass is simple but great.

The Jag I had went to a band mate and he loves it. Sounds best with flats IMO.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 09:04:24 AM »

George, we both know you need another Thunderbird  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 09:34:12 AM »
Gretsch!!!  Gretsch!!! Gretsch!!!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 10:18:00 AM »

:mrgreen:

I always want another Thunderbird but I doubt one would be a good starter bass unless my kids have a really big growth spurt!

The Gretsch definitely won my totally unscientific and highly suspect Youtube test. If the difference in sound between it and the Jaguar is that pronounced in person it may be the deciding factor. My only other question is nut width and overall neck profile.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 10:39:34 AM »
Funny, as much as I am an Epi freak flag waver, I would go with the Jaguar. I've played the Gretsch, and was impressed, but the multiple pickups, including the Duncan, have more appeal to me for versatility.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 01:44:42 PM »
I'd go with the Gretsch. The Jag may have more tonal options, but they're all pretty bland: better a one-trick pony with a decent trick. Plus you have the bonus of the case.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 01:46:20 PM »
:mrgreen:

I always want another Thunderbird but I doubt one would be a good starter bass unless my kids have a really big growth spurt!

The Gretsch definitely won my totally unscientific and highly suspect Youtube test. If the difference in sound between it and the Jaguar is that pronounced in person it may be the deciding factor. My only other question is nut width and overall neck profile.

The neck profile on those is slender.  I can't speak to the width, but I recall it as being on the narrower rather than wider side.

I liked the Jag I had, but it sounded like my other fenders - and with a J, a P and a P/J fretless, I didn't need it. The drummer in my band bought it not long after I put Labella Deep Talkin' flats on it and he loves it.  The 2202 doesn't sound like any Fender ever made, and it's such a simple bass with a hot pickup that it's hard to beat.  

The Gretsch is a simple bass for those who are OK with a minimalist approach.  A critical factor is that hot pickup - it results in a powerful sound that to my ear is every bit as substantial as a 34" scale instrument.  That's why I installed a 2202 pickup in my Bronco bass and like it so much!

And, as PBG notes, the hard case is an excellent addition that also adds to the value of the deal for you.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 03:54:12 PM »
Erm...

The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 05:52:44 PM »
The Gretsch looks way cooler.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 04:17:37 PM »
... than a Thunderbird...? :o
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 07:26:04 PM »

It wasn't a contest at all. I played the Jag first. Nice bass but it sounded a little dead to me. Then I plugged in the Gretsch and it just sang. My older son liked the look of the Jag better (in pics) but I made sure he wasn't around while I met the guy. I doubt he even remembered me asking which one he liked when as I handed him the bass. Even at 30' it looks huge on him. But he'll grow...  :) And I might just pull this out once in a while too. Thanks for the advice, guys!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 07:30:07 PM »
Good to hear about this.  Hope it's a great instrument for him...and you.  Don't be surprised if it whispers to you.