Gear Discussion Forums > Guitars Etc.

Sunn guitar

(1/5) > >>

gweimer:
I need the experts here.  I'm helping my girlfriend clear out her basement of her late husband's stuff, including 17 guitars/basses, a number of amps, telescopes and camera gear.

Among the guitars is a Sunn plexiglass guitar.  She thinks there were very few of these made.  What can anyone tell me about these?

Granny Gremlin:
Gotta be rare.  You can try asking on the Sunn forum, but it's pretty ghost towny over there lately (like 1 post per week).

http://sunnforum.ampage.org/

I'd try selling it to the Sunn o))) dudes (band)

Pilgrim:
I'd proceed slowly on that one and do a lot of searching. I've never seen a Sunn plexi bass before - I've seen some other makes.

I'd be surprised if it weren't worth more than $1000...perhaps twice that.

Dave W:
From an article in Vintage Guitar about a Lucite guitar called Renaissance.

"John Dragonetti’s efforts actually briefly looked like they might be successful. At the summer NAMM show of 1980, Sunn amplifiers, enamored of Renaissance basses, approached him about building a line of guitars. Just at that moment, another company’s sales rep knocked a bass over and broke it, pointing out how poorly made it was. Sunn got spooked and backed out. Which probably was okay, because they promptly went out of business. And Renaissance’s number finally came up at the I.R.S. By the fall of ’80, Renaissance guitars were no more."

Maybe Sunn didn't back out and a few were made, or maybe this is a prototype. Must be very rare.

gweimer:
Excellent!  Thanks.  She told me that she had heard that only 3 of these were ever made, and the Sunn connection to Renaissance makes sense.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version