Author Topic: It's back... (Don't you all want to know how George's SG long scale sounds?)  (Read 13344 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Uhum. A while back, George and I had a bet running who'd be next President of the US of A. He betted the bass in this thread. I won't say who betted for which candidate, lest this thread gets all too political, but this being no time for either derivatives or mavericks, George, ever the good sport, decided to send the bass to me now rather than after the election.   ;)

So now this baby is in my hands here. You've probably forgotten what it looked like and the pics are long gone: It was the 97 cherry long scale one-off SG bass with two chrome TBird style soap bars, a toggle switch and four vol/tone controls a la Les Paul.

I will of course continue George's tried and trusted tradition and NOT report to you how that bass feels, plays and sounds!!!  :mrgreen: :) ;)

No, actually I will report in more detail, it just arrived today. First impression: The thing is friggin' heavy, no comparison to any SG shape bass I've ever played. The reason? That maho body is outsize thick, thicker than a seventies EB-0, -3 or -4. One hunk of maho in the LP bass vein. 1 3/4" (for comparison: a seventies EB is 1 1/2", an SG-Z from pretty much around the time this bass was made is 1 1/4" and an early sixties EB SG shape is a bit more than 1").

Sound? Bassier than either an SG-Z, an SG-RI or a TBird, but not muddy.

Thanks George!

Uwe

« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 03:05:23 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com

Yikes............. Herr Moderator you get what you want!  Just hope it's never anything of mine............except my girlish charm  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Uwe, I'll forward your thanks to the screen actors guild. They're the ones who so generously provided the need to off the bass...  :rolleyes:

At least I know it went to a happy and well deserving home. Now I'll really need some overtime if I ever want those basses back!  :mrgreen:

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
this is the PERFECT bass.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
Wow, that really is beautiful.
Digresion our specialty!

ramone57

• View Profile
tough one, George.  I know how long you waited for that bass.   but at least it's still in the family, so congrats to you, Uwe.   it really is a great looking axe.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Actually, after all those years of looking at thinner SG bodies, it looks a littly chunky to me!  :) Takes aways some of the natural elegance of an SG body. But of course more wood is always good for a more fundamental sound. Geddy Lee is credited with saying that the bass on his doubleneck thing was the best-sounding of all his Rics "no doubt because of the additional wood" that went into the outsize doubleneck body. And I know from guitarists who don't like how the SG six string sounds on an SG doubleneck (Jimmy Page style) because it lacks the attack and response of a smaller-bodied regular SG.

Uwe

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
A while ago I promised to send two chrome rings for the pick ups, but I totally forgot :-[ Are you interested Uwe?

Nice bass! I still like the looks of the SG with T-bird pup combination.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
If its a covert transaction and no one in the forum notices - anxiously looking around - by all means yes! Re-use of Dutch scrap metal has a grand tradition in Germany. It needs refreshing.

ramone57

• View Profile
do you plan on having them powder coated in black?? 

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
I only ment the rings Uwe. As you know I have two covers and four rings. I keep the covers!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Sure, just the rings.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
I'll send them soon!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Ok, I've told ze Fallschirmjägerregiment not to rush things then though we generally offer such pick up services at no additional charge.  :vader: :vader: :vader:

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
I just typed something about Fallschirmjäger (nice band name!) and now you do too:)

Sending the rings will be a nice pay back for the gorgeous desert at the Italian restaurant I'm still talking about to people!