Author Topic: Speaking of Hendrix, watch what the little guy is doing now ...  (Read 2112 times)

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
Re: Speaking of Hendrix, watch what the little guy is doing now ...
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2014, 07:27:04 AM »
For those who like him (the rest of you -- don't bother!), this is well worth a watch:
https://archive.org/details/PrinceOriginalLiveRecordingOfPurpleRainfirstAvenue1983
I forgot that version of the band was damn good.

I am in the pro-Prince camp.  I saw him in 2004, bar none the best big-venue show I have seen.  At one point he picked up a bass and had a slap bass duel with Rhonda Smith, who is no slouch. He's pretty good on the bass on top of everything else.

He is a f***ing weirdo for sure though.  I'm sure he's impossible to be around.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2014, 02:05:15 PM »
I think he is amazing for the hurried, intricate yet alienish grooving rhythm of this.

And white people can't dance to that song. I've seen it happen again and again. They try and give up by the middle of it.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2014, 02:51:19 PM »
I think he is amazing for the hurried, intricate yet alienish grooving rhythm of this.

And white people can't dance to that song. I've seen it happen again and again. They try and give up by the middle of it.

The same thing can be said of the same people who tried dancing to "Black Dog"
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2014, 09:12:00 PM »

Video isn't available here, but what a godawful song that was.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2014, 07:31:02 AM »
No, it wasn't!!! It had a real cool neo-James Brown groove and lovely "un-Earth, Wind & Fire", but rather "Blood, Sweat & Tear'ish" horn parts to it. I wasn't listening to Prince at the time it came out at all, but that track had me captivated the first time I heard it on MTV. It sounded as singularly idiosyncratic as James Brown's Sex machine did when it came out. And led me to buy my first Prince CD.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2014, 08:49:39 AM »
No, it wasn't!!! It had a real cool neo-James Brown groove and lovely "un-Earth, Wind & Fire", but rather "Blood, Sweat & Tear'ish" horn parts to it. I wasn't listening to Prince at the time it came out at all, but that track had me captivated the first time I heard it on MTV. It sounded as singularly idiosyncratic as James Brown's Sex machine did when it came out. And led me to buy my first Prince CD.

LOL! I remember thinking that it was much worse than his usual crap. More overproduced than boy-band stuff. I couldn't imagine anyone other than diehard fans buying it.

To each his own. His Runtiness probably wouldn't like 95% of what I listen to and probably couldn't or wouldn't dance to it either.

daan

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2014, 05:45:27 PM »
and he really is about the size of postage stamp.

A friend who worked in radio back in the 90s worked with him a couple times. SHe described him as "a midget dipped in pubic hair"  :mrgreen:
She also told me about her mother visiting her at the radio station one of the times he was there, she was backing out the door as he was trying to come in and knocked him right on his a**. (SHe was about 3X his size so it wasn't hard) Her mom's standing over him, saying "Oh, you're such a little man, you're so cute!" His people and the station people were kind of standing around with their mouths open, nobody was helping him up. My friend said she just got her things and left, she knew she was "SO FIRED"....

I saw him play at Paisley Park once, my X was a huge fan and was a member of his NPG website where he'd post when he was playing there. We got there about midnight, they didn't go on for a couple hours, but were still going strong at 6am when I had to leave to be to work on time. SHe didn't get home until hours later, they kept going and going and going...
If it was good enough for Danny Bonaduce, it ought to be good enough for fake bass players everywhere!