Author Topic: Rolling Stone Magazine 100 Best Debut Albums of all time.  (Read 7254 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Rolling Stone Magazine 100 Best Debut Albums of all time.
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2013, 03:41:08 PM »
... I knew the band that I had loved for years was gone. I would like to hear Bob Rock remixes of the first Metallica albums. FWIW, prior to Bob Rock, Kill 'Em All and the Garage Days Revisited EP were the best sounding recordings from the band.

I like Garage Inc as well as the Live Sh*t sets - got to admit I'd love to hear him remix those recordings too - as much as I like Justice I just do not like the drum mix one little bit... would you hate me forever if I said I really like the S&M set...? :o

Money is the root of all profit...? Pistols are a prime example of the filthy lucre... :-\
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2013, 04:30:21 PM »
I like Garage Inc as well as the Live Sh*t sets - got to admit I'd love to hear him remix those recordings too - as much as I like Justice I just do not like the drum mix one little bit... would you hate me forever if I said I really like the S&M set...?

Garage Inc. is a collection of Garage Days Revisited, Garage Days Re-revisited (which was released in Europe on Mercury records) and various single B-sides and one-offs. I have it and most of the original releases. There is definitely remastering, but the mixes are the same.  I'd love to hear Bob Rock actually mix Cliff audibly on Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets and not just have the bottom octave of the overall mixes boosted and limited. Garage Inc is a great way to get ahold of some previously VERY hard to find tracks and a nice indication of what a better mixed back catalog might sound like.

Justice's mix worked VERY well back in the day when most of the overwhelming drums were "fixed" by cheap stereos and analog broadcast limiters, but on anything of reference quality,it is a terribly mixed record. By "S&M set," are you referring to the album or live box set?

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2013, 03:41:23 AM »
As "Beat It" amply proves, there is no difference between the two.  :mrgreen:
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2013, 07:28:22 AM »
If they made an album of nothing but Isolated Cliff Burton, I'd buy it and be happy to have it.
http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2012/08/03/cliff-burton-metallicas-orion-isolated-bass/
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2013, 02:25:48 PM »
... By "S&M set," are you referring to the album or live box set?

Both... I think...

Just in case of confusion, as I was very much a late arrival with them - the box set CD/DVD of Live Sh*t Binge and Purge, S&M CD and DVD... I also have the Cunning Stunts DVD and all the regular releases on CD - still not got round to their newest with Mr Reed - I have a few other items but I'm not a completest...
I've never owned anything of theirs on vinyl... I may well have bumped into LU back in the day as we both haunted the Marquee club and followed a lot of the NWOBHM acts, but I was more into Motorhead at that point, especially Lemmy's playing style
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2013, 03:17:23 PM »
I may well have bumped into LU back in the day as we both haunted the Marquee club and followed a lot of the NWOBHM acts, but I was more into Motorhead at that point, especially Lemmy's playing style

I have some friends who met him "pre-sellout" on the Justice tour and said he was actually a super nice guy who took them backstage and shot the shit for a couple of hours and gave one of them drumsticks and cymbals when he mentioned he played drums, too, even jammed with him on his warmup kit in the dressing room. I guess he developed his coke/asshole problem when he started partying with Slash, who seems to be a carrier, but not a sufferer, of the douche virus.

I asked about the S&M thing because my wife got me that CD for Christmas the year it came out, and it's pretty good, but in its context of the Load era, I hear too much of the bad things in the band to truly dig it. The way they kept shitting on Newstead never sat right with me and hiring Trujillo to replace him only furthered my disgust. I have the remastered 45's of Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets but they're just "cleaned-up" vinyl mixes. I always get a chuckle out of hearing Hetfield's quote about how Lighting had a better sound but he couldn't place what it was that was better. I can; you can almost hear Cliff with the full band on Lightning.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2013, 03:11:22 PM »
"Newkid" certainly was not treated with any respect... S&M was how I got into them; it was that late in the day... played it to death and quickly bought the rest...

... but he couldn't place what it was that was better...

;D