Author Topic: What capacitor?  (Read 1445 times)

Hutton

• View Profile
What capacitor?
« on: January 27, 2009, 01:20:37 AM »
I have a 1983 American Standard Precision. I thought that the tone knob wasn't working and so just eq'd the amp to get different tones. However, recently I tried the tone knob again and did notice a very slight change in tone. So it was off with the scratchplate to have a look. The capacitor is rectangular and orangey-red in colour. It has has a value stamped on it of .022-200DC. This confuses me as I would have expected .05. I don't think by the way the 'plate came off, and the condition under the 'plate, that anyone has been in there before. Does anyone know if Fender ever fitted capacitors of this value to their basses. I'm wondering if a guitar capacitor found it's way into the bass bin or the employee fitted the wrong one. Whatever is the case I'm going to fit an .05 cap and see what happens unless anyone here can throw any light on my problem.
Gibson IV Bass 1987
Fender Precision American Standard 1983
Fender Precision USA 62 Reissue 2006
Musicman SUB 4 2004

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: What capacitor?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 07:51:45 AM »
You would expect .05 (or .047) but that's not always the case. I had a Custom Shop Precision that came with an .022, and an American Vintage that came with a .100, both were bought new so I know they were original.

The tone knob certainly worked on my CS Precision, the .022 should give an even broader range so your problem may be something else. Still, nothing wrong with trying an .05.

Not really such thing as a guitar capacitor. What works, works. Gibson used some very small value capacitors on its old basses.

Hutton

• View Profile
Re: What capacitor?
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 09:03:57 AM »
Thanks Dave. I'll try the .05 and see what happens.
Gibson IV Bass 1987
Fender Precision American Standard 1983
Fender Precision USA 62 Reissue 2006
Musicman SUB 4 2004