Author Topic: s. d. curlee  (Read 1882 times)

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
s. d. curlee
« on: August 21, 2008, 05:21:25 AM »
does anyone here own and play an S. D. Curlee bass and what is your impression of it (them)?
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

Barklessdog

• View Profile
Re: s. d. curlee
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 06:29:44 AM »
I always heard good things about them, except they are heavy. I remember when they promoted the whole "butcher block" look.

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 06:31:44 AM »
i had one of the USA ones.it was great nice thick but small "Hog" body.sorta bolt/neck/thru  with a dimarzio split P.i kinda regret selling it.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 04:07:57 PM »
 I have always wanted one of those !!
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 04:51:21 PM »
as most of you know i have been trading parts for over a year to get my bass build. i had this idea last year and found out about the S. D. Curlee's a bit over a month ago so i guess my idea wasn't so original after all.

yesterday i took the pieces to a builder here in Springfield, Mo. to see if he will do it. he is looking at the parts. basically an LP Junior body with a Maho/Maple laminated neck, a Schaller bridge (the bad ass is going on the next one Scott = influenced by you ala your Fenderbirds), some black Grovers and a pickup from Fred with black surround and trim. my LP body i sold to Gary for one of his next builds. i wanted a 59 LP Special body but all i could find until a few weeks ago was an LP body.

i loved the looks when i found out about them.

i will post pics as soon as they become available if he decides to build it. i'm still undecided about bolting it in or gluing it in.
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 04:36:50 AM »
 When they came out and we got them at the store I veiwed them as a poor mans Alembic or BC Rich. Neck through construction with high end hardware. Oil finish = cost savings. Very well built and utilitarian looking, simple no fuss controls. I liked them a lot.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 10:17:45 AM »
thanks guys. i appreciate the  comments and it has helped me a lot in making a final decision about sending the LP Junior to the builder with the layout and what trim and pup i decided to use.

there are a few pics here but ignore the lacewood and mahogany thingy thats a whole different deal somewhere in the mystic future (lol):

http://s170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/cathousemouse/LP%20Junior/

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2008, 10:24:25 AM »
I remember them as looking like they came out of the Whole Earth Bass Catalog.  I don't know if I ever played one, but my high school buddy ordered a lefty guitar when he was playing out.  I remember that he was using it over his Les Paul at gigs.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 03:44:02 PM »
They were pretty good, but I think many were shorty scales, and that tended to go the way of the dodo.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 10:30:34 PM »
mine was medium scale 32"i regret selling it.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES