Author Topic: Fodera, WTF.  (Read 6285 times)

Hörnisse

• View Profile
Re: Fodera, WTF.
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2016, 04:04:22 PM »
Alain is not playing a Fodera.  It is an "F" bass.

http://www.fbass.com/

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2016, 05:21:53 PM »
I wish Jim (jumbodbassman) was around.  He KNOWS Foderas, I believe he once was a rep.  I do know he's owned quite a few.  My German customer owns a bunch.  Victor Wooten plays them.  So do other people who have a lot of money.

Here's three Foderas behind two of mine and a Lull prototype.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2016, 12:48:12 PM »
Alain is not playing a Fodera.  It is an "F" bass.

http://www.fbass.com/

So it is. All this talk about Fodera and he isn't even playing one.

I'm sure you can play whatever type of music you want on either brand. And no doubt Alain Caron would sound pretty much the same even if he were playing a $300 Ibanez Soundgear.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2016, 05:40:56 AM »
I made it to the one minute mark. Do I get a prize?

No, because I got to 2:20 before finding a hangnail that was more interesting. :mrgreen:
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2016, 06:09:00 AM »
Hey I resemble that remark!  :)

Sort of.  I don't actually want to sound like an Ampeg head and 810.  An SVT + fridge is a mighty thing indeed ... and I've always wanted to experience a Hiwatt stack in person at least once just to know what it's really like ... and I love the growl and overdrive of classic tube rigs, but I'm too old (and never was strong enough) to lug them around ... AND I like more control and fundamental depth on the low end anyway.  Genz-Benz Shuttle 6 with the preamp gain up a bit, sitting on top of a pair of little EA cabinets, makes me so very happy.

Wot!? Do you even Talkbass?

The simple rules of Talkbass seem to be; if you need a bass get a Sire, if you need a pedal get a Darkglass and if you need a cab get a Fearful. The smallest rig you can get away with for a backyard BBQ gig is two SVTs pushing 810s.

For us limeys, the simple rules of Basschat seem to be; if you need a bass get a Maruszczyk, if you need a cab get a worn out Trace Elliot in the classifieds and you don't need a pedal. The smallest rig you can get away with for playing Wembley is a knackered 100 watt Trace Elliot combo I picked up from Jim in the classifieds. Even the blacklight still works!!!

But remember that tone is in the fingers, which is why we all eagerly anticipate the boutique Akai Deep Impact reissue and mostly refuse to acknowledge Gibson basses that aren't Thunderbirds.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2016, 07:45:10 AM »
 :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2016, 08:52:42 AM »

The simple rules of Talkbass seem to be; if you need a bass get a Sire, if you need a pedal get a Darkglass and if you need a cab get a Fearful. The smallest rig you can get away with for a backyard BBQ gig is two SVTs pushing 810s.

For us limeys, the simple rules of Basschat seem to be; if you need a bass get a Maruszczyk, if you need a cab get a worn out Trace Elliot in the classifieds and you don't need a pedal. The smallest rig you can get away with for playing Wembley is a knackered 100 watt Trace Elliot combo I picked up from Jim in the classifieds. Even the blacklight still works!!!

But remember that tone is in the fingers, which is why we all eagerly anticipate the boutique Akai Deep Impact reissue and mostly refuse to acknowledge Gibson basses that aren't Thunderbirds.

LOL! Good stuff there Alan. I never even heard of Sire (wait, do they make that new Marcus Miller bass?) or Fearful! And I only know of Darkglass from... guess where...  ;D Talkbass seems to set their own trends, then decide that those trends aren't cool anymore, then everyone has to change to something else.

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2016, 09:29:54 AM »
Fearful is spelled fEARful by those in the know.  :rolleyes: Sire are those Marcus Miller basses.

I remember when the Tech 21 VT Bass was the pedal of the moment.  :-[

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2016, 10:01:30 AM »

No.  :)
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2016, 10:06:40 AM »
Talkbass seems to set their own trends, then decide that those trends aren't cool anymore, then everyone has to change to something else.

I haven't been there much since the days when Schroeder was one of the cabs du jour. Early-mid 2000s maybe?  I got on the hype bandwagon for a little while; bought one, it did a job pretty well that wasn't the job I ultimately needed done; I sold it, don't miss it.  Funny thing is, last time I looked, Schroeder had redone all his designs and completely eliminated the distinctive quasi-folded compact design that was supposedly their raison d'etre in the early days.   ;D
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2016, 08:06:45 PM »
I only visit Talkbass when someone here links to a thread over there. Back in the Pit days, I'd occasionally visit, and I remember the Schroeder threads. Bandwagon jumpers making performance claims way beyond the specs that Schroeder published. It's no surprise to me that they've moved on to the next big thing.

Nothing new. Back in the late 90s on the old TBL mailing list, the cabinets du jour were the Acmes. They were apparently low efficiency cabs, the builder said they needed  plenty of wattage, but posters would make ridiculous claims that contradicted him. They were the best cabs ever. Then a few weeks later they would be up for sale.

All this is typical of bandwagon jumpers everywhere, not just in bass gear.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2016, 08:43:52 PM »
I remember the Acmes ... got to play through one of the 210 cabs at one point.  My impression of it was exactly as advertised - strong fundamental all the way down (at least on a 4-string), very even and tight lows ... and very low output compared to pretty much any other bass cab with the same amp.  Anybody who claimed otherwise would have to be nuts.  I think it's a nice design if you don't mind throwing tons of power at it.  (And maybe more cabinets too ... low efficiency plus similar power handling as other cabs means max output has to be lower!)

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2016, 04:41:17 AM »
Not sure I've ever seen an Acme cab in the flesh. I'm living in the land of Trace Elliot and Ashdown, and I still see HH amps and Carlsbro Stingrays kicking around once in a while.

I've just bought a Tech21 VT DI, so I guess I fell for the hype!

I'm getting the VT DI because I fell for other hype first; I purchased a Two Notes Le Bass preamp based on hype, and when it arrived I was sorely disappointed. I couldn't tell if it was a faulty unit or a legitimately bad product, but I felt I had wasted my money... you live and learn.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2016, 08:27:53 AM »
Acmes are great cabs and do everything they are advertised to.  The fanboy bull$hit, well, that's just Talkbass. Ironically, those old Trace cabs are pretty close tonally to Acme, just lacking in the extreme low end.