Author Topic: Fodera, WTF.  (Read 6286 times)

nofi

• View Profile
Fodera, WTF.
« on: February 29, 2016, 08:40:53 AM »
got this from tb. my question is who buys these things. i have never seen them in a band situation or anywhere except you tube. may i see one one in a smooth jazz / fusion situation? luckily, i will never know. i do know the tb guys get all wet over these expensive basses. you can include
mtd in there. maybe a ritter, too. only 4k for this baby. ish. :sad:

http://fodera.com/monarch-p/

the tb guys seem to worship this kind of stuff.

« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 08:49:04 AM by nofi »
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Alanko

• View Profile
Re: Fodera, WTF.
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 10:34:03 AM »
Was that video filmed in the '80s or is that genre of music stuck, tragically, in the '80s? Was that filmed at a Talkbass meetup last year? A good chunk of Talkbass behaves as though the clock stopped in 1985, and all new gear has to basically serve and enhance that sort of music. It does nothing for me, personally.

I was going to write more, and uses phrases like 'faux worldly' and 'unwarranted hegemony', but I've run out of motivation early on this one.

The Fodera Monarch P just shows that if you build Bass X for ever you can't really pare it down and build Bass Y. Either that or Vinnie has noticed that all his boomer-doctor clientele are buying old P basses now. Either that or the Super-P is the new Super-J, and nobody knows it yet.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 11:44:29 AM »
I made it to the one minute mark. Do I get a prize?

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 11:46:26 AM »
Idk much about Foderas. They seem to be well made basses that suite the needs of a certain niche of bass players. It's just as easy to scoff at Alembics as well but if there are those who are willing to pay for them, what's the point in disparaging the companies from charging what they choose. I'm curious to see what kind of comments would come from a Tb thread critical of the outpost. I'm sure we seem just as outlandish to some of the folks over there.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 11:54:54 AM »
I'm not criticizing Foderas. Don't know much about them and don't know much about who plays them. Alain Caron could play what he was playing there on just about any bass and it would sound just as bad to me.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 12:27:12 PM »
Very percussive. Amazing how you can use an instrument that is intended to provide notes for a whole lot of atonal clatter too. Like playing melodies on a drum set, just the other way around. Brilliant.

Herr Caron is rhythmically precise, I'll give him that. What a pity, he didn't take up playing congas. An opportunity lost.

To his defense: The above vid is from 1991. These days he looks and plays like this.

Mature jazz rock - with more than a bow to Weather Report me thinks. Oui, he still slaps. But only un peu, mon Dieu!
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 12:43:23 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 12:35:15 PM »
I had a wee chuckle the other day. A comment was made about the new Ampeg DI-box thingy, and somebody remarked that it didn't have a speaker/cabinet simulator built in. This was bad, because some bassists use full-range amplification systems these days.

So... you have a bespoke, highly efficient, full-bandwidth bass rig, and you want it to sound like an Ampeg head and 810 cab?!??!?!!?!?!

I'm reminded of those guitarists that do everything to get the Marshall tone, but don't buy Marshall amps.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 12:39:17 PM »
And then there are the ones that try to extract from their Marshall rig something other than a Marshall tone. Condemned to failure of course.  ;D
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 01:28:38 PM »

It was tolerable with the sound off - I'm at work  ;)

I just can't excited about that stuff, I don't need to hear it to know either. Soulless wanking for the sake of it, no thanks.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 01:45:00 PM »
I'm sure there is some quality hippie-sandwich woodworking going in to their basses but the designs all look like uninspired blobs to me.  Of course, I'm also certain that they guys who love Fodera's would tell me Thunderbirds are neck-diving junk with one-trick-pony tone but I love mine.

To each their own  :-\

The only thing I read on TB anymore are the funny picture thread and Mark's TB club.  ;)

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2016, 03:45:04 PM »
So... you have a bespoke, highly efficient, full-bandwidth bass rig, and you want it to sound like an Ampeg head and 810 cab?!??!?!!?!?!

Hey I resemble that remark!  :)

Sort of.  I don't actually want to sound like an Ampeg head and 810.  An SVT + fridge is a mighty thing indeed ... and I've always wanted to experience a Hiwatt stack in person at least once just to know what it's really like ... and I love the growl and overdrive of classic tube rigs, but I'm too old (and never was strong enough) to lug them around ... AND I like more control and fundamental depth on the low end anyway.  Genz-Benz Shuttle 6 with the preamp gain up a bit, sitting on top of a pair of little EA cabinets, makes me so very happy.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 04:12:21 PM by slinkp »
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2016, 04:02:09 PM »
The words from an old Ultravox song echo true to me here... it means nothing to me... :rolleyes:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2016, 04:51:31 PM »
Here's another example of one, sans slapping.
I think that's a Fodera  :)  I don't know much about them...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ_xlHhcA-k&t=0m7s

They're covering Mike Stern's Mood Swings at the beginning.  I actually like this version better than the original...
The full video was deleted, unfortunately, as they broke into some Hendrix at the end with the guitarist doing vocals.
That young guy on guitar smokes!

(...and I get a kick out of seeing a Les Paul in this setting)

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2016, 04:54:28 PM »
Oh?  I thought this was going to be a thread about hats.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2016, 04:56:58 PM »
Oh?  I thought this was going to be a thread about hats.

...or Linux   ;D