Author Topic: RIP Kenny Rogers  (Read 701 times)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
RIP Kenny Rogers
« on: March 21, 2020, 01:05:26 AM »
My dad used to love his sweet country songs.
Little did I know that Kenny had been a cool bass player in a previous life. I only found out about that -many years later- after seeing The Big Lebowski, that featured this song:

Rest In Peace Kenny Rogers

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Re: RIP Kenny Rogers
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2020, 05:16:27 AM »
RIP

And watch him doing a upright bass solo here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6bwxfnWp_A&feature=emb_logo

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2020, 06:48:01 AM »
Nice thing is, we will always get to cherish his music, if not his chicken as well.

Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2020, 08:19:36 AM »
Firstly, Rob really needs a new title here in the forum, I suggest "Chief Coroner of the LBO";)

Secondly, my condolences for Kenny.

A tribute:

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2020, 01:00:19 PM »
rip... :sad:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2020, 02:49:05 PM »
Kenny was a doo wop singer in Houston when I was growing up. In the mid to late 50s he was in a doo wop group called The Scholars that had several singles and also had one single under the name Lee Harrison and the Kounts.

An older musician I know from Houston who worked with his older brother Lelan for years said that Kenny did session work on bass back then. In the early 60s he was bassist and vocalist in the Bobby Doyle Three, which was a jazz/pop group. They had a steady gig at a club near where we lived, and they released a single that got local airplay. Bobby was a blind pianist who later established himself in Austin.

This was Kenny's first under his name (AFAIK), it was a hit in Houston and got some regional airplay.

This is my favorite Kenny song , it was a hit in '78 but seems to be almost forgotten today. I don't know who's on bass here. Joe Osborn played on the studio version.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2020, 03:22:53 PM »
Funny, I don't recall every having heard that one.  I thought I knew most of his stuff.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2020, 03:24:51 PM »
It's sad to see Kenny Rogers go.  He was an icon with a distinctive voice.  In spite of all those songs he did, "Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In) always remained my favorite.  My aunt brought one of his albums over around Christmas for us all to listen to.  At that time, I certainly wasn't thinking of him passing away any time soon. 

Here is another performance of Just Dropped In.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 01:29:39 PM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2020, 04:13:37 PM »
It's sad to see Kenny Rogers go.  He was an icon with a distinctive voice.  In spite of all those songs he did, "Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In) always remained my favorite.  My aunt brought one of his albums over around Christmas for us all to listen to.  At that time, I certainly wasn't thinking of him passing away any time soon. 

Here is another performance of Just Dropped In.

Someone posted that video in the thread at TDPRI yesterday, and someone else asked (seriously) who the bassist was in the video.  :o

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2020, 04:25:14 PM »
Oh, man, oblivious. 
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 10:18:57 PM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal