Author Topic: 2015 Updated Thunderbird  (Read 11502 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: 2015 Updated Thunderbird
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2014, 12:40:06 PM »
Too bad Uwe can't drop in on us in Northern Colorado and threaten some good craft brews.   :sad:
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2014, 03:02:08 PM »
Nofi, if you are in Krautland, let me know and we'll have dinner or lunch together plus a short guided tour of Ze Kölleckshün before abduct you into our dungeons for full DP immersion ... You will be a changed man forever.

A public message in defense of US automobilists: They must be the most courteous, patient and relaxed drivers in the world. Absolutely pleasant and no comparison to the dog eat dog attitude prevalent on German streets.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2014, 06:26:18 PM »
You'll have nice weather, 70 and mostly sunny for your time in Seattle
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Blackbird

• View Profile

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2014, 09:25:46 PM »
Eight basses, one color. :rolleyes:
http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/Eight-Different-Bass-Sounds-from-the-Tbird-Bass.aspx?utm_source=iContact&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Gibson%20Brands,%20Inc.&utm_content=Editorial+eBlast+-+October+14%2C+2014

Sounds like they're doing something that's already been done - a partial coil tap using a circuit that keeps some of the tapped coil frequencies from going to ground -- and renaming it "tuned coil tapping" as if it's a new discovery.

neepheid

• View Profile
    • The Inevitable Teaspoons
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2014, 02:46:12 AM »
Sounds like they're doing something that's already been done - a partial coil tap using a circuit that keeps some of the tapped coil frequencies from going to ground -- and renaming it "tuned coil tapping" as if it's a new discovery.

They've been doing it for 2 years with the EB for starters, haven't they?
Basses: Epi JC Sig 20th Anniversary - Epi Les Paul Standard - Epi Korina Explorer - G&L CLF L-1000 - G&L Tribute LB-100 - Sire D5 - Reverend Triad - Harley Benton HB-50
Band: The Inevitable Teaspoons

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2014, 04:11:15 AM »
Who the hell buys a Thunderbird because it can sound like something other than a Thunderbird? :o
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2014, 06:11:58 AM »
They've been doing it for 2 years with the EB for starters, haven't they?

And even before that: The SG-Z worked pretty much the same way and that was in the late nineties.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2014, 08:32:47 AM »
Who the hell buys a Thunderbird because it can sound like something other than a Thunderbird? :o

An incisive and pertinent question!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2014, 09:53:59 AM »
But hasn't a well-known Des Moines-based TBird collector of fine repute always preached to us that a variety of approaches, even those that do not dare speak their name immediately, is the spice of life? And there really isn't a typical TBird sound, some people create a piano ring tone with it, others are much warmer and darker.

I'm actually quite interested how that new TB is gonna sound (judging from how those pups sound on the EB basses and the G-3 Tribute, I don't think that a TBird sound will no longer be recognizable). I'm thinking of (re-)enlisting the help of a certain Des Moineser to obtain a specimen and have it undergo his/her usual strict testing regime so (s)he can report his/her fondlings/findings here? We need einen Experten. Or eine Expertin.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2014, 10:36:46 AM »

Uwe,

I'd be thrilled to give it a test drive, I don't know when it's due but can speak with our contact at Sweetwater whenever you want.
 From the traditionalist point of view I get everybody's comments (Hell, I'm one you!) but I can at least see that there may be a younger group of people that have no interest in "their father's Thunderbird"...... God, I never thought I would ever try to justify one Henry J's decisions, please help me!
Given Gibson's inability to consistently produce basses this may be a passing fad that lasts a year? maybe the make 400, who knows?

As many have said , an accurate repro of either of the '60s 'Birds would likely be a bigger hit than Gibson realizes. 
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2014, 07:20:01 PM »
This was just Gibson looking at why Musicman sells a shitload of basses.....so they jammed pickups into a TBird that looked the same.

It will be interesting to see if people buy it, without the upper fret access or balance of a Musicman....or the wide choice of colors MM offers.

....or the marketing or respect for the bass market that MM has.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2014, 08:39:05 PM »
This was just Gibson looking at why Musicman sells a shitload of basses.....so they jammed pickups into a TBird that looked the same.

It will be interesting to see if people buy it, without the upper fret access or balance of a Musicman....or the wide choice of colors MM offers.

....or the marketing or respect for the bass market that MM has.

I have no idea whether or not Gibson was looking at MusicMan, but I did test drive Uwe's EB Bass here, and those pickups are nothing like MM pickups. They're wound to be passive, while MM pickups are deliberately underwound and deigned to be used with a powerful preamp. They don't sound anywhere near alike.

Of course you're right about Gibson having little or no respect for the bass market.

neepheid

• View Profile
    • The Inevitable Teaspoons
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2014, 10:24:02 PM »
And even before that: The SG-Z worked pretty much the same way and that was in the late nineties.

To be fair, there's no "tuning" going on in the SG-Z's coil split, the only capacitor I can see is the one attached to the tone pot.
Basses: Epi JC Sig 20th Anniversary - Epi Les Paul Standard - Epi Korina Explorer - G&L CLF L-1000 - G&L Tribute LB-100 - Sire D5 - Reverend Triad - Harley Benton HB-50
Band: The Inevitable Teaspoons