Author Topic: Firebird same as TB?  (Read 2330 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: Firebird same as TB? *Another question*
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2009, 11:50:12 AM »
One more question!  My guitar friend was wondering if the headstock is the same also for bass and guitar?  I think they look like it, but I'd rather hear from you guys on that one!     :)
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Firebird same as TB?
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2009, 11:55:19 AM »
IIRC that is not the same size at all. Why? Because Gibson, thrifty as they are, could not use guitar necks on a bass (I'm sure they tried though!), so forced to make a long scale neck from scratch they thought what the heck let's enlarge the headstock too.

PS: On a 2007 Firebird I once had, the headstock was definitely smaller (if similarly shaped) than on my modern day TBs.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2009, 12:11:14 PM »
IIRC that is not the same size at all. Why? Because Gibson, thrifty as they are, could not use guitar necks on a bass (I'm sure they tried though!), so forced to make a long scale neck from scratch they thought what the heck let's enlarge the headstock too.

PS: On a 2007 Firebird I once had, the headstock was definitely smaller (if similarly shaped) than on my modern day TBs.

Makes sense Uwe.  Anyone here able to send me a tracing of an old NR Firebird headstock?

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2009, 01:57:23 PM »
If you can shrink a drawing of the Thunderbird headstock you might wind up with the right size. IIRC the Firebird headstock is like a mini-me of the Thunderbird, proportioned to the shorter neck. Same relative proportions, just smaller. Hope that makes sense.

Unfortunately I've never had two to compare directly.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2009, 08:10:42 PM »
If you can shrink a drawing of the Thunderbird headstock you might wind up with the right size. IIRC the Firebird headstock is like a mini-me of the Thunderbird, proportioned to the shorter neck. Same relative proportions, just smaller. Hope that makes sense.

Unfortunately I've never had two to compare directly.

Makes sense Dave.  Thanks.