Gear Discussion Forums > Rickenbacker Basses

Funk on a Ric

<< < (2/4) > >>

Dave W:
Stand up for him? Claypool doesn't need defending, you either like him or not. And with him, there doesn't seem to be a middle ground.

godofthunder:

--- Quote from: nofi on March 02, 2009, 08:21:06 PM ---he should give it back. :mrgreen:

--- End quote ---
LMFAO

uwe:
It reduces the role of a bass to that of a percussion instrument. Horses for courses. I see my role as a bass player more as someone who enhances harmonic aspects by emphasizing or de-emphasizing them.

Barklessdog:

--- Quote from: uwe on March 05, 2009, 08:27:25 AM ---It reduces the role of a bass to that of a percussion instrument. Horses for courses. I see my role as a bass player more as someone who enhances harmonic aspects by emphasizing or de-emphasizing them.

--- End quote ---

And we would not have it any other way.

To me Les's magic is when he plays with Larry & Primus. When I saw him on the Mike Douglas Show back in the 80's with his 6 string Rainbow bass, playing sloppy primitive & percussive, to me, it was unlike any other bass player I have seen / heard.

The other unique thing about Primus is the band is built around supporting the bass, it's a bass driven band that was actually commercial for wider audience back then. Les has built a Zappa like following, with fans that seem like Zappa fans to me (really weird, stoned, men, women and younger people ).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzhL-0_pC3E&feature=channel

Yeah people people don't seem to be in the middle on Primus & Claypool it seems as Dave pointed out- you love him or hate him.

gweimer:
You want funk on a Ric?  I'll give you funk on a Ric.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version