Author Topic: 1978 Becvar Triple Omega 8  (Read 1759 times)

D.M.N.

• View Profile
1978 Becvar Triple Omega 8
« on: December 11, 2020, 02:40:52 PM »
So I picked this bass up about a year ago, figured I'd post about it since I have the first recording back that actually features it.

Some may have seen it pop up on Reverb previously, and I can trace it's ownership back to the original buyer. It was built in 1978 by Bruce Becvar of Alembic for the man whose name is engraved on the truss rod cover (the name escapes me at the moment and I don't have the bass on hand). It sat in its case with very light use until 2019, when its original owner passed away. His widow entrusted a friend of his to handle it, and it was soon sold to Trevor Lindsey. And that's where it came into my possession. After only a few months, Trevor put it up for sale in order to finance a few other custom basses he had incoming, and I was able to pick it up for a very good price for such a high quality instrument. So I am owner #4 of this bass, though 2 owners only had it for a few months each.

Now, to the bass. A close relative of the widely renowned Alembic, Becvars were built by Bruce Becvar, an Alembic (ex)-employee. You may be familiar with his most famous build, John Paul Jones' Triple Omega 8, the California Gothic. It seems the Becvar/Alembic timeline is a little hazy, and reading on some Alembic forums, his builds in the Alembic style may be a bit frowned upon. From what I can gather, he was hired by Alembic around '72 and worked for them for around 5 years. In ~'77, he built the Triple Omega 8 that JPJ purchased after seeing it for sale in San Francisco. Around that time he started building instruments under his own name, possibly while still at Alembic and while using their facilities to build his own. That's the hazy part.
In everything but name, this Triple Omega is an Alembic instrument. It features the multi-laminate neck construction, here out of maple, along with a mahogany core and walnut top and back in a chambered design. Obviously, unlike most Alembics, this one is painted in a solid colour. The fretboard is ebony with mother of pearl oval inlays and underneath is the Alembic two truss rod system. Where it deviates more from the Alembic pattern is the pickups and circuit. While laid out similar to an Alembic Series I circuit, featuring 2 volume, 2 tones, and a master volume, it includes a unique active pre-amp, powered by 9v battery and avoiding the external power supply typical of Alembics. It also doesn't feature the Q-switches in the Alembic circuit. The pickup selector selects for neck, neck and bridge, bridge, and off. It is wired in stereo by default, so with a normal instrument cable on the neck pickup is heard, and you need a stereo to mono or stereo cable to take full advantage of the bass. It also would seem the pickups are a slightly different design from the Alembics per Mr. Lindsey, though they are still quite similar. Despite the 8 strings, it is a very managable bass to play, weighing in just over 10 lbs (which, coming from Thunderbirds, isn't too heavy), and featuring a 32" scale, and wide but shallow neck profile. It's honestly one of the easiest playing instruments I own!

Due to the price of actual Alembics, I never thought I'd be able to own an instrument like this, and count myself very lucky to have come across this particular one. A joy to play, a real attention grabber, and the sound? Massive. Authoritative. Clear and crisp and full, akin to a Grand Piano when running it through my Sunns and JBLs, and then like freight train when running through my Hiwatt. Anyways, I'll stop rambling, here's the first song it's featured on, and a number of pictures (some from the original seller's listing)!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkJ8_5QRZ5M&ab_channel=OliviaHarrison-Topic

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Re: 1978 Becvar Triple Omega 8
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2020, 03:21:19 PM »
Great story and I like the bass and the song!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2020, 06:50:39 PM »
Very cool!

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2020, 08:44:23 AM »
Love that bass. Nice add to the collection.

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2020, 03:29:28 PM »
Gorgeous! This thread sent me down a Becvar rabbit hole...:mrgreen:

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2020, 04:47:57 PM »
Is that a Bach NR is the shot with the Hiwatt...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

D.M.N.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2020, 10:19:24 AM »
Great story and I like the bass and the song!
Thank you! After not hearing the song for 9 months, I'm very glad with how it came out!
Is that a Bach NR is the shot with the Hiwatt...?
Indeed it is! It's currently on the work bench getting repainted.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2020, 03:35:15 PM »
Trad or rad...?  ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

D.M.N.

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2020, 05:11:49 PM »
Trad or rad...?  ;)

Pontiac Linden Green Metallic!

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2020, 08:38:02 AM »
So let's talk about those Alembics. Looks like a Series I or II, and a Europa with a Balance K body???

I'm actually on the hunt for a 32'' 5 string Alembic with "wide" (comfort) string spacing, which I'll probably never find at an affordable price, so I'm willing to settle for 34''. This will be tuned EADGC.

D.M.N.

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2020, 10:36:37 AM »
So let's talk about those Alembics. Looks like a Series I or II, and a Europa with a Balance K body???

I'm actually on the hunt for a 32'' 5 string Alembic with "wide" (comfort) string spacing, which I'll probably never find at an affordable price, so I'm willing to settle for 34''. This will be tuned EADGC.

Unfortunately those aren't mine, those pictures are from one of the prior sellers. But you can definitely see they have a preferred type of bass!

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2020, 08:57:58 AM »
Ah, that makes sense!