Author Topic: Synthesizers  (Read 10220 times)

chromium

• View Profile
Re: Synthesizers
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2013, 10:48:06 AM »
(as I glance at my gravity-defying TARDIS to my left) ... ;D

I'm working on one of my own here as well...  ;)

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2013, 11:18:24 AM »
Love the Pro 1.

That and a Casio CZ-101 were my first "real", programmable synths.  The Pro-one is still my favorite mono.  I bought it shortly after the DX-7 came out in the early-mid 80s, and everyone was dumping their old analogs to buy the Yamaha digitals (I had a DX-5 in the 90s - programming that thing drove me nuts).  Could have bought a used Prophet-5 from that same store for $450(!) if I had it, and I think I got the Pro-one for about $125.  

I had built my first synth from scratch using books and parts from local electronic stores and PAiA.  It was very crude looking, but it worked, and I needed a decent keyboard assembly to control it.  Buying that Pro-one at the time ended up being cheaper than buying just the bare keyboard assembly from PAiA- and I got an entire synth in the process!

I recently serviced it, and on a whim modified it to add aftertouch to the keyboard.  It's pretty cool!  I mounted some aluminum channel strip under the keybed with a force-sensing resistor sitting on top of it, and that in turn controls a VCA that all the modulation gets routed thru.  I used to have a Multimoog that was touch sensitive, and that inspired the modification.

You can see it peeking out from under the keybed here... I didn't want to drill any holes in the synth, and so I put the bypass and sensitivity trimmer down there as well:

I mounted the VCA inside, just under the bender box:

Did a quick demo of it here, when I was still toying with the idea.  I only show it doing pitch bends, but it can control any kind of modulation - FM, Filter, Pitch, or LFO amount...

Love that Matrix 6!  A former bandmate had one, and I got to spend a good deal of time with it.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 09:29:12 PM by chromium »

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2013, 11:34:45 AM »
Also, I had found some cool etching/screening "easter eggs" on the board inside the Pro-one  ;D

Chenrizig:

Tibetan mushrooms?

Mantra written in Sanskrit:

These are only visible on the top of the 'board- sandwiched against the front panel.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2013, 12:21:43 PM »
It's all alien to me...

(diddly-boom diddly-boom diddly-boom diddlydiddlydiddlydiddly diddly-boom...)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2013, 10:28:03 AM »
Cool mods! I spent a lot of time programming a DX-7, then a DX-7IIFD. Crazy envelopes in those things!

Circuit board "Easter eggs" - I had a e-mu Drumulator drum maching, and there was something on one of the boards that said "e-mu - never a beat off".  :D

The Matrix 6 is a very underrated synth. It's downfall is the total lack of knobs, which was "the thing" in the 80s. But the sound engine is great. Not the best lead synth, but the pads kill. And with velocity, aftertouch, and essentially 3 mod levers, and 2 pedal inputs, you still have a lot of control. The modulation matrix is great. 

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2013, 12:53:42 PM »
My friend bought a rack which has two Matrix 1000 Oberheims and Roland Super JX and Super Jupiter amongs some other stuff. Great patch sounds on those.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2013, 02:09:28 PM »
The Matrix 6 is a very underrated synth. It's downfall is the total lack of knobs...

There's still a huge following for the Matrix lineup - especially the Xpander.  The modulation-matrix stuff is akin to having a polyphonic modular.  Pretty rare to have that flexibility in the portable "hardwired" synth world.

As for the knobs (or lack of), Access used to make a Matrix Programmer for the Obie Matrix 6/6r/1000... It covered the basics (...not the advanced modulation-routing stuff) and would program the synth via MIDI sysex messages, IIRC:

I always liked that about Roland - that they offered analog-style programmers for their synths back in the 80s (even for the D-50!).  I have one for my GR-700 (which is similar to a JX-3P keyboard synth).  It works great.

Nice to see interfaces on the new digital synths swinging back that way!  I had a Quasimidi Sirius briefly (it was too "techno" sounding for my tastes, but loaded with knobs), and now have a Waldorf Q virtual-analog:

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2013, 02:50:37 PM »
 Boy does that bring back memories! I had the pleasure of seeing the EWG live in'73 at the Rochester War memorial. , Derringer Hill and Ruff were in the band. It was a awesome show!
You guys must love playing "Frankenstein". What kind of keyboard hanging from the guitar strap is Edgar playing here?

Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

jazzbo58

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2013, 12:38:35 PM »
Here's some of mine.
Hammond M3, 88 sp. Dot Com Modular, Roland PK5A pedals. To the left: Maniken Memotron, Alesis Micron & Oberheim SEM.

1974 Minimoog.

Very nice Synths in this thread!!

Cheers,
Jim

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2013, 03:07:06 PM »
Here's some of mine.

Wow - nice setup!  I spy some other good stuff in there too.. SK15(?), Juno 106...

Regarding the Dotcom, what's that there between the oscillator and q143 presets in the top cab?  custom multiples?  Also curious what the 1U-wide module is there above the q106 in the top cab?

I just recently landed a used q960 (& friends- 961, 963, and a Moon 564 quad sequential switch).  I made one modification on my 963 trigger bus... Instead of using their width feature cable behind the panel, I brought the function to the front panel via a separate switch for each bus.  This lets you toggle between distinct or combined triggers for each bus on the fly- lots of fun!

Usually I'm not into drilling holes in my stuff, but some of the hidden (jumper) options on the Dotcom modules are pretty useful.  I've also modded all of my q109s with a long/short envelope switch, and brought the clipping feature to a toggle on the front of the q107 filters (dirties 'em up nicely!)

Need to take some recent pics of mine.  Here are some shots from when I made these mods, and was in redoing the power setup and bracketing the cabinets so that they don't fall and maim me  :)   (used some simple brackets from Ace on the rear- not shown in the pics)

q963 mod:

knocked the back of the top cab out and flipped around the power location to match the bottom and middle cabs:

q109 and q107 mods (the red-tipped toggles):

Again - great stuff!  Love that Memotron  8)

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2013, 08:26:32 PM »
Joe's music room looks a lot like NASA setups in the old movies  :mrgreen:
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2013, 09:34:44 AM »
Man, I'd love to get my hands on one of those Access Matrix controllers. I remember the Roland JX-3P had a separate controller available. Always liked that little synth. Never owned one. I did have an Alesis ion (big brother to the micron) for a short while, but I needed more voices and multitimbral capability. Really nice analog sounds. On-board effects were strangely lacking, considering it's an Alesis. I think the micron is a little better in that area.

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2013, 12:53:37 PM »

Moog-format modular.  This one has filled out a bit since this pic.  Currently has 7 oscillators, 7 filters, 7 attenuators, 3 envelope generators, 4 sequencers, 4 quantizers, noise, sample/hold, wavefolder, distortion/clipper, ring modulator, analog delay, dual phaser, frequency shifter, triple chorus, and some other misc logic and signal processing things.  Still have a bunch of stuff left to build for this one- EMS Synthi oscillator clones, Korg PS-3100 resonator clone, Buchla low pass gates and quad function generator clones...

Nice modular Moog.  I learned on one about 50 percent larger than this one when I was in college, about an hour east of the Moog factory. I had to BS my way into the class because I wasn't a music major. Had my own Minimoog. I have some tracks somewhere using it with my old progrock band before we had a real keyboard player, who had a shitload of analog synths and an original Melotron.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2013, 04:28:50 PM »
Gawd... sometimes you guys make me so envious... :mrgreen:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2013, 10:47:22 PM »
Nice modular Moog.  I learned on one about 50 percent larger than this one when I was in college, about an hour east of the Moog factory. I had to BS my way into the class because I wasn't a music major. Had my own Minimoog. I have some tracks somewhere using it with my old progrock band before we had a real keyboard player, who had a shitload of analog synths and an original Melotron.

Thanks!  This modular is actually of a fairly recent build - all roughly 6-10 years old.  No actual Moog in it, but similar form factor.  The core of it is made by a robotics company in Tyler, TX and sold via their http://synthesizers.com website.    I bought the start of mine (sans cabinets) used from overseas - and so I basically have here a Moog-inspired modular of Texas origin acquired by way of Dublin, Ireland from a Scottish fellow.  ;D

Man an original Mellotron would be a blast if space and time weren't an issue!  As much as I enjoy restoring old tape echo units, I know I'd have fun digging into a Mellotron project...