Author Topic: Coldplay vs. Satriani Round 3  (Read 796 times)

Rocker949

Coldplay vs. Satriani Round 3
« on: April 07, 2009, 01:25:07 PM »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Coldplay vs. Satriani Round 3
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 11:41:24 AM »

Hmmmh. Satch played with Deep Purple as a hired hand, he helped them out after Blackmore's departure. That puts him in favor with me (never mind how he's responsible for Steve Vai learning guitar, we all make bad choices). Chris Martin has a pretty wife. And a pretty voice. In small doses his band is bearable, but he probably doesn't even know who Deep Purple is. And he's more famous than me, so I hate him.

Still, even after listening to this side by side, it's a stretch. The Coldplay tune was immediately familiar with me (most catchy songs are) when I first heard it in my car stereo, but short of what he played with Purple, I've never heard any solo stuff by Satriani, so I didn't know the Coldplay tune from him. That melody is not so idiosyncratic (or musically ambitious) that you would need to bore yourself with Joe Satriani CDs to come up with it.

He could learn a thing or two from Coldplay's arrangements though.

Uwe

PS: No good things to be heard from Gwyneth's and Chris' marriage lately (down, Dave, stay calm!). But you know how women are. Has she been provoking him by listening to Joe Satriani at home?  :o
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 11:59:36 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Rocker949

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 02:07:25 PM »
I think it is plagiarized, although it is highly possible it was unintentional.  People keep pointing out that Coldplay would never listen to Joe Satriani.  I'd like to know how someone can possibly assume what someone else listens to.  I listen to stuff all the time I don't really want to listen to such as, for example, when I'm in a chiropractor's office.  Also, as far as I'm concerned, Gweneth Paltrow is too pretty to be married to anybody in Coldplay or to Joe Satriani, either, for that matter. 

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 02:18:46 PM »
(sigh) All because you once said that a certain bass was boring like Gwyneth Paltrow and I disagreed.

You're the one who has a pic of Gwyneth in your Photobucket album. Not I.

She named her kid Apple. 'Nuff said.

Rocker949

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 09:23:49 AM »
I gave it my best shot, but I'm having a lot of trouble imagining Gwyneth Paltrow as boring.  On the other hand, I've read that she plans to become a pop star.  That actually could be boring.