Author Topic: Is a "live" album really "live"?  (Read 5830 times)

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
Re: Is a "live" album really "live"?
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2008, 04:52:15 PM »
I've Got Mott T H Live and you are right it does have that edginess like they are flying by the seat of their pants. Great Album, sometimes here and there, Ian Hunters voice is just a bit too flat for me. But hey I still love listening to it.

Maybe if they do a remaster they can run his voice track through an Auto tune.  ;)
Digresion our specialty!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2008, 04:56:00 PM »
Yeah, it's a great album - an old fave. The only problem is that Ariel Bender is on guitar instead of Mick Ralphs...

Two other killer (but underrated) live albums:
Bob Seger - Live Bullet
J. Geils Band - Blow Your Face Out
  I love Ariel Benders (Luther Grovsner) playing ! Mick is great also but to me Ariel is the BOMB ! Ian's flat  ? Oh come on that's the charm.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2008, 06:10:19 PM »
  Oh come on that's the charm.

Yeah I hear ya and I'm with you on it. Still the Live album is a little more than usual..... I will blame the foldback OK?  ;D

Hey I wonder whatever happened to his big "H" shaped guitar?

Love this vid not just for Mick Ronson but also the RD

Digresion our specialty!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2008, 01:45:35 AM »
  I love Ariel Benders (Luther Grovsner) playing ! Mick is great also but to me Ariel is the BOMB ! Ian's flat  ? Oh come on that's the charm.

I have to second the initial opinion. Ariel Bender/Luther Grosvenor is no Mick Ralphs or Mick Ronson. There is an album version of I believe Roll away the Stone (or another single of theirs) with Mick Ralphs playing a nice melodic solo and a single version with Ariel supplying a barrage of squeals which sounds like he caught a cat in the studio, miked it and then proceeded to yank away at its tail. And an unmusical cat at that.  ;D Even Ian Hunter is on record for saying that Ariel was a mistake musically and that Mick Ralphs' departure to Bad Co led to the demise of Mott the Hoople because, while looking great on stage, Ariel could not cut it in the studio, something Hunter realized quickly, but unfortunately not quickly enough. I saw Ariel when he was Luther again with Widowmaker, he was less than impressive and some of his solos were even mocked/pastiched by Ted Nugent that evening who was headlining.

Ralphs left in part out of frustration that his songs were rejected by Ian Hunter who found it hard to sing in the keys Mick preferred. The opening riff of Bad Co's "Can't get enough of your love" also graces an older Mott the Hoople track (though the verse chords are different) and while I prefer Hunter to Rodgers as a lyricist, frontman and for his sheer attitude, it is obvious that Rodger's range took the riff (which uses open tuning) to another level.

BTW, Ian Hunter, for all his qualities (and I have a dozen solo albums of the man), was never about not singing flat.   ;D
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 12:15:21 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2008, 05:50:14 AM »
I have an old Ian Hunter LP out in my shed that I haven't played (or seen) in years. Didn't Jaco play on on one of his albums?
Digresion our specialty!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2008, 07:30:38 AM »
 Jaco played on All American Alien boy. Ian is also on record saying Ariel was great live but not the foil he needed in the studio
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird