Author Topic: Lakland Skyline Decade  (Read 1361 times)

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Lakland Skyline Decade
« on: April 25, 2012, 01:40:07 AM »
Hi guys,

Since the Decade was designed at the Ole' Dudepit I like this bass a lot. But I never played one plugged in and I never really read into specs and sounds. I'm selling a bass and a guy wants to trade it for a cherry Lakland Skyline Decade with singlecoil ChiSonics. Tempting.

Can anybody tell me a bit about sounds, e.g. compared to a P/J and/or a Gibson SG Reissue or T-bird? Thanks!

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
Re: Lakland Skyline Decade
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 04:09:03 AM »
Maybe Peter can give you better detailed comparisons but I'll give it a shot.

The CSs have a broader range in sounds than the average P/J and a better low end in the higher positions on the D & G strings. Compared to the SG Bass it has a much more open sound. I think sound-wise it's somewhere in between a T-bird and a J, but leaning towards the Bird because of the mahogany body.
The Bach Non-Rev T-Bird DeLuxe with CSs Peter and Rob did put together sounded just a little bit better to my ears BTW.......

I sold the Decade because my arms were too short  ;D  Some years ago a shortie version was announced but it never surfaced ... I had a Ibanez ARTB-100 mounted with CSs and it's a great little monster but playing premier league it's not .....

Experience is the ultimate teacher

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 07:11:39 AM »
Thanks! I guess that's a bit like I thought and also a bit Elmer's impression when he reviewed one for De Bassist. That sounds like I could like it:)

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 10:18:46 AM »
They have tons of excellent sound samples on the website:

http://www.lakland.com/ac_decade.htm
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 12:05:30 AM »
Thanks! I guess that's a bit like I thought and also a bit Elmer's impression when he reviewed one for De Bassist. That sounds like I could like it:)

If it's the guy from Leuven offering the trade it's possibly the very same bass Elmer's reviewed .....  :)

« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 12:12:51 AM by Droombolus »
Experience is the ultimate teacher

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 03:34:09 AM »
I don't know where the guy lives, but it could be:)

saltymonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 05:00:59 PM »
I have a short scale Decade with single coil Chisonics and absolutely love it. I would agree that the pickups have a much broader range of sounds than any J or P bass. They are much fuller than any J bass I have owned and really dynamic. They go from very clear and articulate with a light touch to really growly when digging in. It's really very versatile. I had never thought about the tone falling between a Tbird and Jazz before but I guess that's not really a bad comparison. The Chis are much fuller and punchier than jazz single coils. Still different from a Tbird though as they are singles, even with the mahogany body. I'm birdless right now so can't really do a better comparison. I had a crappy couple of years financially and had to sell almost everything. I kept the Decade.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 03:27:03 AM »
Thanks again! The exchange was cancelled, so no Decade for me.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 06:43:43 AM »
A Decade Nazi huh?