Author Topic: So, with which bass do you practice?  (Read 9727 times)

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
So, with which bass do you practice?
« on: July 29, 2009, 12:13:38 PM »
This question was on another forum and thought it would be appropriate here as well. Besides, I'm curious about it.

Mostly I've been using Thunderbird No. 1 for practice.

You?
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

ramone57

• View Profile
Re: So, with which bass do you practice?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 01:02:23 PM »
I rotate 'em for no particular reason (other than to justify owning them  ;D).  I have an epi rivoli that doesn't get played due to problems with the neck but I play the others almost equally.  I don't play the jazz very much; it's my son's and it's fretless.  although I play his LP as much as any of mine.  ;D

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 01:21:45 PM »
I rotate.  Whichever one feels good at the moment gets played.

But recently my new Casady and my short scale Gretsch Jr. Jet have been getting all my time.

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 01:36:47 PM »
well. i'm in 2 bands so....
band #1 i use my 92 Gibson LPB-1 with my 78 Peavey T-40 as a back up.
band # 2 i use my 76 Gibson Ripper same back up.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

leftybass

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 02:04:43 PM »
I rotate.  Whichever one feels good at the moment gets played.

But recently my new Casady and my short scale Gretsch Jr. Jet have been getting all my time.

I bought one of those little Gretsches a few years ago when my wife decided she wanted to learn bass...she didn't. So, it sits in the closet, waiting for my 16-moth old son to "grow into it". ;)

"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2014 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2013 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2012 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2011 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2010 Austin Music Poll

Proud owner of Dee Murray's Steinberger.

leftybass

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 02:11:42 PM »
This is a tuff question for me, my Beatles tribute band gigs alot so we never "practice". When we add new tunes we work on them at home on our own and then try them out together at soundchecks 'til they're ready to play during a show.

If I'm working on a song for my original "band"(just me, playing everything, in my home studio) I usually have a specific bass sound in mind for a song so I will practice the song with that bass.

If you're talking about "noodling" at home, I use whatever bass I'm in the mood for/whatever's handy.
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2014 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2013 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2012 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2011 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2010 Austin Music Poll

Proud owner of Dee Murray's Steinberger.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 02:29:19 PM »
I haven't been in a band for a while, but I do play almost every day. My Musicman SUB is what I usually pick up.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 02:30:05 PM »

By myself upstairs I use any and all of them, downstairs with the band I try to use what I plan on playing at the next show.................They all make me happy!

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

jmcgliss

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 03:12:03 PM »
!!!  Was the question "with which bass do you practice wide-angle photography?"  What a line-up.

I took the epi silverburst to band practice last night (it passed). My low-cost P or 5-er are within easiest reach at home, or if I need to leave a bass in the car for after-work practice (not too often).
The one that's most satisfying is the Dark Star P I built last year.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 03:20:31 PM by jmcgliss »
RD Artist w/ Victory headstock (sold)
2009 Epiphone Thunderbird IV silverburst (mods pending)
2005 Lakland Decade Dark Star | 2009 55-02 Chi-Sonic
2005 Dark Star P-Bass | 1986 Pedulla Buzz |
Eden heads with various 12's and 10's | Ampeg B-15N

GonzoBass

• View Profile
    • ReverbNation.com/GonzoBass
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 03:24:29 PM »
Depends on what room of the house I'm in
or what computer I am using at the time.

Got 'em stashed everywhere.

The half scale is in the... um, library.
 :mrgreen:
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
GonzoBass.com

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 03:37:44 PM »

Gonzo,

I"m very jealous of the 79 degree temp at the time of your post - It's 101 here today, Seattlites melt under such conditions  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2009, 03:59:19 PM »
DANG!  Those look like a lineup of saltwater taffy in different flavors.  VERY cool!

By myself upstairs I use any and all of them, downstairs with the band I try to use what I plan on playing at the next show.................They all make me happy!

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

nofi

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2009, 05:21:54 PM »
noodling IS practicing. i don't practice in the conventional sense anymore. but watching tv while playing my abg i have made many little musical discoveries that i think would have passed me by otherwise. it must be the convergence of television, acoustic bass and lying on one's back that makes this work.  :) really. i would argue that tv is the perfect distraction to engage the creative part of the brain to come up some cool stuff that you are not really aware of  until that lightbulb moment strikes. or i could be full of shit. but it works for me and i have played enough scales, etc. to cover two lifetimes. ;)

Hornisse

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2009, 05:41:06 PM »
I know nothing of scales.  Wish I had learned theory and all that jazz.  When I put on a record or cd, or just turn the radio on I play my '83 P bass 1962 reissue.  When I play live I use only 5 string basses.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2009, 08:56:22 PM »
I practice with whichever bass gets used on the song live. We have been learning a new cover tune on which I use the Cargill fretless. So the Cargill gets taken to practice along with the 74 Jazz which is my main instrument. I use my Allen Woody bass for a lot of songs too and if I feel the need to brush up on a part of one of these songs I will use the Woody. The Crocs dont really rehearse as such, to be honest they dont realy practice much either :rolleyes:  although we have been on a rollfor the last 3 weeks. 4 new songs out of this recent productivity woo hoo!
Digresion our specialty!