Author Topic: Bass amp help/question  (Read 5318 times)

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
Bass amp help/question
« on: May 17, 2009, 02:54:31 PM »
So, yesterday afternoon I was practicing with the Dano (replacement neck installed) and the Fender Bassman Compact (solid state) and all was well. Put everything away and went to a cookout in the afternoon, where I saw Pamlicojack and talked basses for a while.

This afternoon I pulled them out again and absolutely no sound out of the amp at all. The on/off switch light's on, fuses good, compressor light flickering and dead silence. Took the speaker out and it's in perfect condition, including the wiring. Nothing is looks or broken, so I suspect something on the board is bad or the "transformer" for lack of a better word, has gone bad.

Ideas? Thanks!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Bass amp help/question
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 02:56:55 PM »
Try a different cable connecting instrument to amp - they can break.  Also, double-check every switch and knob on the bass and the amp.

Assume NOTHING about any connection - often the problem is solved by pushing a cable all the way in, or by turning up an unnoticed gain control.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 04:16:09 PM »
Just tried a different cable with the Telecaster on the amp and still no dice. The Master dial is at 8 with all the others (volume, bass, middle, treble and compressor) between 4 and 8. No dice. Seriously, I changed NO settings between when I put it away last night and when I pulled it out this morning. This is perplexing...
Clocks.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 06:08:09 PM »
Any engineer types know what kind of voltage he should see from tip to ring on a speaker cable with the other end of the cable plugged into the output of an amp?
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 05:03:57 AM »
Like Pilgrim said, look hard at all connections. Also , when you look at those connections, check the color of the solder too. If you find one that is considerably darker in color than the others, it could be a solder joint gone  cold/bad.  Everything appears connected but the solder isn't doing it's job. Sometimes a visual check  can catch this .......sometimes not.
I had a problem a few years ago that I looked right at  a dozen times and still didn't see. It took a pro to point it out to me. Pissed me off too, the SOB spotted it in seconds. After he pointed it out to me , it was obvious  :P. Moral of the story......I didn't know what I was looking for until he showed me .
Rick

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 03:54:53 PM »
Just tried a different cable with the Telecaster on the amp and still no dice. The Master dial is at 8 with all the others (volume, bass, middle, treble and compressor) between 4 and 8. No dice. Seriously, I changed NO settings between when I put it away last night and when I pulled it out this morning. This is perplexing...

Is that a combo amp?  My first thought was that it was a separate amp and cab.

You could polish the contacts on the fuse and check it with a continuity meter...make sure it's good.

Aside from that, seems to me you don't have a lot of options before having a tech look at it.

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 05:01:57 AM »
Thanks everyone. I looked at everything I could think of without getting all electrotechy on it (not my strong suite), so I called Darren Riley's shop and am taking it in this evening. From my description of the problem he's pretty sure there's a bad solder joint somewhere. What stinks is that both of the reputable amp repair shops around here have a 2-3 week backlog. Could be more, could be less.

I think I need a spare bass amp.  ;D  Maybe one of those swell tuck and roll Kustoms from the '60s or '70s.
Clocks.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 07:48:13 AM »
You might consider a moderate size amp and a separate 2x10, 1x12 or 1x15 cab.  They're very portable and they give you more mix & match options down the line.

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 02:39:44 PM »
Cool, thanks! I realize everyone has their favorites but have you any suggestions?
Clocks.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 03:14:28 PM »
I use a 1970 Hiwatt 100 and am trying to put a 1968 Marshall 50 back into serviceable order as a back-up - both are viciously loud...  8)  8)  8)

Never used trannie amps (Mark, just don't...  ;D) ...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2009, 03:53:08 PM »
Balancing portability and power is always a challenge.

My thoughts....

If you need only as much power as the 150W in that Fender, there are a number of worthwhile amps.  I'm a cheap type, so I tend to think in terms of used Peaveys (heavy but solid), Ashdown, Gallien-Krueger and even Behringer, although many people don't like Behringer because they copy other manufacturer's equipment.

When I think about it, the GK 400RB is one of the most-acclaimed workhorse amps in history. It pushes 200W and isn't overly large or heavy. There are usually some on Ebay.  Here's one that closes in a couple of days: http://tinyurl.com/p2z2ho .  People seem to hang onto this amp forever and praise it for dependability.

If you don't have a more powerful amp than this and think you may need one in the future, then I'd go 300W or more, and just turn it down for low volume applications.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2009, 05:14:26 AM »
GK Backline 600 head goes for $300 new at GC. 300 watts/4 ohm and 180 watts/ 8 ohm  and they sound great. Best bang for the buck out there IMO.
Rick

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2009, 05:04:56 AM »
Last night I saw a used GK Backline 600 head for $199 at a local guitar shop. Should I get it?
Clocks.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2009, 05:47:19 AM »
Talk them down a little. I bought mine used but in perfect condition for $100. You can get a brand new one from Guitar Center for $299.
Honestly, the main reason I bought mine was because I knew it had hardly ever been used and the price was right. I had no idea that I would like it as much as I do. They really are a great sounding lightweight head and they have a nice little 10db cut switch for use with a preamped bass.
What kind of cabinet are you going to use with it?
Rick

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2009, 11:36:43 AM »
One of the guitar shops here has a '72 Fender 4x10 Bassman 10 I'm thinking about. It's in pretty good condition and they want about $550 for it.
Clocks.