Author Topic: My band is going through a "Spinal tap" moment.  (Read 557 times)

Blazer

My band is going through a "Spinal tap" moment.
« on: May 07, 2009, 06:52:34 PM »
We are booked to play the Ramrock festival in Antwerp Belgium, a gig we've really looked forward about.

But just a couple of weeks ago Jack T. our second guitar player, dropped a bombshell, the family of his wife had arranged a surprise vacation for the two of them in the northern provinces that would be taking place in that very same weekend, all expenses were paid and everything was arranged. In short, he wouldn't be able to make it. Seeing that it is a SEVEN hour drive.

So we all got together and butted heads on what to do, the first thing that Jack T. said was "Why don't you call Andy?" And so Jack T. basically pushed the guy who he replaced, back into the spot.

Andy during Slavantas' debut gig at the Maastricht Metal Meeting in September 2008, just prior to leaving the band after a punch up with our then bassplayer Ade.

Andy and I have been rehearsing for a couple of days to get his chops back on track since he hasn't been playing the songs after leaving the band, it's fun, old times but also apparent is that the songs have changed so much with Jack T.'s input, Andy actually tried to emulate what Jack T. is playing in order to make the songs sound like the ones we recorded with Jack T. for our upcoming release. I said "No man, you're making it too hard for yourself, just play what you used to play in your own style, and just go with the flow."

So in technical terms tomorrow I'll be on stage with Andy again, almost a year after he left the band, it's gonna be awkward but I'm also feeling good about it.

Shees, how Spinal tap is this?

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: My band is going through a "Spinal tap" moment.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 09:57:22 AM »
Better keep an eye on your drummer ("you can't dust for vomit").  ;)