Author Topic: Gibson prototyope on ebay  (Read 3199 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Gibson prototyope on ebay
« on: March 23, 2010, 12:54:58 PM »
Get this, looks like a hacked up Guild.:rolleyes: One for ze collection for sure Uwe. ;D
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

eb2

• View Profile
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

bassvirtuoso

• My God, it's full of chrome!
    • View Profile
Re: Gibson prototyope on ebay
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 01:19:24 PM »
I think we've beat this bass like a dead horse by now. My thought has always been it looked like a Rickenbacker body to me, guild bridge and neck, gibson pickups.
-Dave

German-American Chrome Fan Club Member #666

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 01:34:36 PM »

I'm all in favor of Uwe not buying this thing  ;D
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 01:59:38 PM »
Over at Jules' forum someone found it too.

http://forums.vintageguitars.org.uk/showthread.php?t=2576

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 02:00:28 PM »
95% of the time someone claims it's a prototype, you know it's a lie. In this case it's not even close to a Gibson.

We've seen this one before, butchered Guild.

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 02:06:14 PM »
I bet the guy with the Ripper/Grabber thing with the horns cut off that shows up on ebay every few months is sitting in his trailer right now thinking "damn! I'd buy that rare Gibson prototype if only someone would by my modified Ripper."
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Big_Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 02:47:49 PM »
+1 on the modded Rick style body. The neck joint is a bit dodgy so I'm thinking Guild neck bodged onto a Rick copy body, with the pups of a deceased 1971 EB3 obviously.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 02:57:10 PM »
A lot of those "prototypes" are really Stihl chainsaw exercises....
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 03:09:47 PM »
It really is an ugly mother... :puke:

But maybe it sounds killer? I kinda like the idea of the pickup placing: the neck pickup at the bridge and vice versa.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 03:43:45 PM »
Booked matched flamed top, back of the body looks to be mahogany, doubt it is a real Ric body.....................................omg unless they hacked up a early Ric 4000  :o

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 04:47:18 PM »
Haha this guy is a riot.  Here's his answer to one of the bidder questions about authenticity:

"There is an original 001 Gibson serial number pictured. That number for most companies is evidence enough that it an original prototype or first. When Gibson or any company make a prototype they don't hurry up and print a certificate. That would actually look suspicious. Just like the Les Paul Log or other early Les Paul' has no certificate or the first Telecasters. It just happens and at the time no one knows how big of a deal it is till much too late. That is how true collectibles came about in the first place. The guitar always had Gibson pickups on it and it was from an old Gibson employee at the Original Gibson plant in Kalamazoo north west of here so there would be no reason for it to be anything else. Thanks."

After about the second sentence, I started hearing this again in my head...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2010, 04:57:20 PM »

Break out the hipwaders 'cause the $#^@'s gettin' deep  :rolleyes:
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2010, 09:17:21 PM »
Haha this guy is a riot.  Here's his answer to one of the bidder questions about authenticity:

"There is an original 001 Gibson serial number pictured. That number for most companies is evidence enough that it an original prototype or first. When Gibson or any company make a prototype they don't hurry up and print a certificate. That would actually look suspicious. Just like the Les Paul Log or other early Les Paul' has no certificate or the first Telecasters. It just happens and at the time no one knows how big of a deal it is till much too late. That is how true collectibles came about in the first place. The guitar always had Gibson pickups on it and it was from an old Gibson employee at the Original Gibson plant in Kalamazoo north west of here so there would be no reason for it to be anything else. Thanks."