Gear Discussion Forums > Other Bass Brands

Rare Alembic...?

<< < (3/3)

Alanko:

--- Quote from: uwe on October 19, 2017, 04:24:31 AM ---When I saw DP a few years ago and Roger had a fresh knee operation, the guy from The Temperance Movement (Nick Fyffe) depped for him and although Nick is a fine player (as you would expect from someone who replaced Stuart Zender within Jamiroquai), DP didn't sound the same that night.
--- End quote ---

I've seen Fyffe once with the Temperance Movement, and he rocked a violin bass for 90% of the set, swapping it out with a '70s P bass for a couple of tunes maximum. He's a grand player, but he wasn't driving the bus like the guys in Deep Purple do.

bassilisk:
Phil needed a few labels for his Alembic modded Guild.....

uwe:

--- Quote from: Alanko on October 19, 2017, 05:50:02 AM ---I've seen Fyffe once with the Temperance Movement, and he rocked a violin bass for 90% of the set, swapping it out with a '70s P bass for a couple of tunes maximum. He's a grand player, but he wasn't driving the bus like the guys in Deep Purple do.

--- End quote ---

What a great description "but he wasn't driving the bus like the guys in Deep Purple do", that sums it up perfectly.

Alanko:

--- Quote from: uwe on October 19, 2017, 10:18:45 AM ---What a great description "but he wasn't driving the bus like the guys in Deep Purple do", that sums it up perfectly.

--- End quote ---

I don't mean it as a dig at Fyffe by any means, he's grown up with a wider bag of what it means to be a bassist, whereas Glover had Paul McCartney? The Temperance Movement have an Americana edge to their sound. Deep Purple mk2 had that stick-up-the-ass white European thing that kept them on top of the beat like a dog chasing a rabbit. In fairness ELP were even worse for this.  :mrgreen:

uwe:
I didn't understand it as a dig at all, Fyffe can most likely play circles around Glover. He's more "musicianly" and more nimble too; you have to be if you play that fidgety Jamiroquai stuff. Glover's rhythmic approach is - like Macca's - meat & potatoes (but he has a smooth groove and nice sense of melody) and he's accepted his role with Ian Paice who told him early on (in a nice way): "I don't follow as a drummer, I lead."

"Deep Purple mk2 had that stick-up-the-ass white European thing that kept them on top of the beat like a dog chasing a rabbit."

Another brilliant description, Alan. Exactly. And probably why I prefer DP's "locomotive groove" to how Led Zep approached things.

ELP's very often military style-harsh groove was mainly down to how Carl Palmer drums (great drummer that he is, he has zilch swing) plus determined by the angular classical structures they played. And I never thought that Lake left much of an imprint with his bass playing on ELP (he did of course with his songwriting, singing and acoustic guitar playing), he played bass because someone had to and Keith E. was already busy enough as is as to not also play the bass parts on keyboard as well. Lake didn't even consider himself a bassist and ditched the instrument in favor of his beloved guitar playing once he could. On the later post-70ies ELP albums he couldn't even be bothered to play bass anymore - most of the bass on those is programmed courtesy of Emerson.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version