Author Topic: I just downloaded ...  (Read 5767 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: I just downloaded ...
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2016, 04:45:31 PM »
There is one Savoy Brown LP (1970's Looking In... contains an earlier version of Leaving Again) that is effectively Foghat with Kim Simmonds on lead in place of Rod Price... Lonesome Dave was vox throughout... pretty good LP too... they all split at that point and Foghat was born...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2016, 02:49:55 AM »
I have a fondness for the first two Foghat albums, but I have to say that I think they sounded their best on Fool For The City and In The Mood For Something Rude.  The common element there was bassist/producer Nick Jameson.  He brought out their best.

Savoy Brown is one of my favorite bands.  I love the older Chris Youlden stuff, but I think their best would be Street Corner Talkin' with Dave Walker on vocals.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2016, 03:58:41 AM »
I met Taylor Swift's bass player a couple of times and we became sort of friends. He invited me for the Taylor Swift gig in The Netherlands last year. We went for some beers first and afterwards I saw the concert.

I would've never payed 90 euros to see her, but the show was great. Normally I see old people with guitars (Who, Macca, Noel Gallagher, Weller) in such venues and now I got a show with nine dancers, rotating catwalks, ress changes, the works! 17.000 people with LED wrist bands, which were lighting up or flickering in different colours. So the whole venue was flashing blue or non flashing red, .... It was great to see such a show:) And her songs are nice too. I think she got some positive reception after Ruan Adams covered her complete album.

Next week back to just guys and guitars. Vintage Trouble. Basvarken will see them tonight and I will see them wednesday... ...exact 3 years after I saw them opening for the Who! July 5th 2013 and July 5th 2016.

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2016, 09:43:40 AM »
There is one Savoy Brown LP (1970's Looking In... contains an earlier version of Leaving Again) that is effectively Foghat with Kim Simmonds on lead in place of Rod Price... Lonesome Dave was vox throughout... pretty good LP too... they all split at that point and Foghat was born...

And then there's the live side of Savoy Brown's Blue Matter album. Lonesome Dave singing all 3 tracks because Chris Youlden was down with something. Until this day one of my fave slices of 60s UK white boy blues.
Experience is the ultimate teacher

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2016, 12:48:14 PM »
... all five current Taylor Swift albums plus the 13 CD Foghat Bearsville Years Boxed Set on my Brennan B2 hard disk in the office. I was done with ripping Nick Cave and Einstürzende Neubauten.

What does that make me? Eclectic, mad, indiscriminate or just equipped with a plain bad taste throughout the decades?  :mrgreen:

13 Foghat CDs is a lot.  ;)

I have a theory that good taste and Gemans are like two parallel lines, they can never meet. Thanks to Uwe I have just proved you I am right. :P
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 01:38:36 PM by exiledarchangel »
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2016, 03:33:36 PM »
Vintage Trouble. Basvarken will see them tonight and I will see them wednesday... .

Just got back home
They were fantastic

Energy
Soul
and a whole lot of Testosterone  :mrgreen:

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2016, 08:14:17 PM »
I have a theory that good taste and Gemans are like two parallel lines, they can never meet. Thanks to Uwe I have just proved you I am right. :P

I think your theory deserves some consideration. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2016, 05:01:34 AM »
I have a sudden itch to have a couple of people of this forum summarily shot to restore a semblance of order!  :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

If it wasn't for me, those Dutchies wouldn't even know who Vintage Trouble are! Would have loved to go.

Heard the first Foghat album this morning - you've got to start somewhere -, liked what I heard, even some Beatles influence in places. They do play Maybellene fast!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2016, 10:37:17 AM »
I greatly favor the Von Steuben approach for maintaining order. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2016, 12:19:22 PM »
I will speak in favor of decorum on this forum:

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

exiledarchangel

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2016, 01:10:44 PM »
I apologise for my misbehaviour, and I will humbly accept my punishment. I really hope its not Celine Dion this time...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2016, 02:59:15 PM »
I will stand up and let it be known... I like Titanic... :vader:

The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2016, 06:15:56 PM »
Here's a Celine antidote...John Carpenter's theme from Big Trouble in Little China, with Carpenter and two of his friends from USC film school performing the song as The Coup de Villes.

One of the more fun movies made in that period!

« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 07:50:45 AM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

exiledarchangel

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2016, 12:59:08 AM »
Pilgrim, your taste in movies is just amazing, "Big Trouble in Little China" is one of my favourites! :D

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2016, 02:39:28 AM »
I used to think the Gong track 'Fohat Digs Holes in Space' was called 'Foghat Digs Holes in Space'. Beyond that I have nothing.

My girlfriend is a fan of Taylor Swift. I quite like the composition but I find the albums are a bit brickwall'd for my tastes. I find music like that triggers a bit of a fight-or-flight response. An acoustic guitar shouldn't be that punchy.