Author Topic: CURRENT CATALDO  (Read 135773 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: CURRENT CATALDO
« Reply #720 on: November 28, 2018, 11:58:40 PM »

Warmoth is te exclusive dealer for the 2TEK. Current version has less mass in the 'fingers', lightening holes drilled in it.  That's unfortunate IMO, thyey're not going to convince possible customers on the basis of that.  You're either in or out on the original design for players who know the bridge so why drill holes in a critical part that might affect the tone?

IMHO lightening any bridge will affect the tone. That's not necessarily a bad thing, just a change. In this case, I agree with you. It doesn't make much sense to reintroduce a bridge this unusual if you're going to change the tone.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: November 29, 2018, 12:26:10 AM »
[enable-mode] Could block-up the back... :mrgreen: [/enable-mode]
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Kriegs

• View Profile
« Reply #722 on: December 03, 2018, 06:59:45 AM »
Has a 2Tek bridge, similar to this one on my Hamer Cruise...it was a 90s thing.  They've recently been reissued.  Might try to find a victim customer for one.
I'm your huckleberry 8)  If you think that would make a good addition to my build (red burst Max with the G&L pups), I'd be game.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #723 on: December 03, 2018, 08:45:07 AM »
I'm your huckleberry 8)  If you think that would make a good addition to my build (red burst Max with the G&L pups), I'd be game.

I considered it, problem is it requires a 1-3/4" thick body vs the the usual 1-3/8" of the MAX.  That will affect the weight as well as the mass of the bridge itself.  I don't think the trade off is worth it, especially with tapewounds which usually aren't recommended for string thru bridges.

Kriegs

• View Profile
« Reply #724 on: December 03, 2018, 06:22:36 PM »
I considered it, problem is it requires a 1-3/4" thick body vs the the usual 1-3/8" of the MAX.  That will affect the weight as well as the mass of the bridge itself.  I don't think the trade off is worth it, especially with tapewounds which usually aren't recommended for string thru bridges.
Makes sense.  FYI, the tapewounds wouldn't be an issue.  I only use them on certain basses, so I'm not committed to them.  If an idea pops up and you need a guinea pig for an experiment, please feel free to reach out!

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #725 on: December 03, 2018, 06:55:54 PM »
Makes sense.  FYI, the tapewounds wouldn't be an issue.  I only use them on certain basses, so I'm not committed to them.  If an idea pops up and you need a guinea pig for an experiment, please feel free to reach out!

Will do!

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #726 on: December 14, 2018, 07:04:02 AM »
Torted up and hot to trot.

Allparts Lollipops, made in same factory as Hipshot's imports.

Look, ma...no neck dive!

Massaged BgrBtm body.  I think it flows better, will definitely be easier to bind.

This beast weighs 12 lbs. same as my '77 StingRay.  Seems heavier.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #727 on: December 14, 2018, 10:21:12 AM »
That explorer is gorgeous!  :D

Odd pickups with offset polepieces on the P/J fiver.  I assume those were specified by the customer... What are those and do you know what's the rationale behind the design?
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #728 on: December 14, 2018, 10:45:44 AM »
That explorer is gorgeous!  :D

Odd pickups with offset polepieces on the P/J fiver.  I assume those were specified by the customer... What are those and do you know what's the rationale behind the design?

Thanks!

This was just a body/headstock refin for a good customer. Pickups are Nordstrands.   Description from their site:
"The tonal nature of the NP5 is akin to that of its brother, the NP4. The reason for this close comparison in tone is a derivative of their angled pole design, which gives these pickups the totally loaded coil girth important in facilitating the hard hitting vibrational tenacity they have come to be known for. The NP5 produces a voice that is resonant of all the best aspects of precision-style playing, but is then able to go above and beyond the traditional P pickup with an aggressive, note sustaining integrity that will carry your sound farther than any standard P could ever dream. Although this pickup’s tone is not an exact clone of our standard NP4, it will certainly provide a flavor of P-style playing that is both nostalgic and edgy; putting forth a sonic kinesis that will prove any player’s loaded slap as poignant, dominating, and sometimes even profane."
...or your money back

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #729 on: December 14, 2018, 10:50:24 AM »
Wow. I need more vibrational tenacity!  My slap is loaded but not yet proven profane.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: December 14, 2018, 12:44:18 PM »
Exemplary work as usual, my Don... :mrgreen:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: December 14, 2018, 06:31:46 PM »
Nordstrand's pickup descriptions are great.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #732 on: December 17, 2018, 03:23:11 PM »
Binding and scraping time.

Broke the top strip three times, tried to force the bends. I use acetone ( in poly bottle with needle applicator) to cement the ABS in the rabbet and binding tape from Allparts to hold in place for the short setting time.Binding was 6mm tall. I cut the rabbets 4mm deep and then scraped installed binding down to that height. Panel scraper made quick work of most of it. Clamp is holding broken binding strip to tip of top horn.

Back went much smoother, one continuous no break strip using a 30 year old hair dryer to soften the ABS while making the bends. 2" scrap was all that was left over. Butt joint at center of heel.

Rough out work done. Acetone sets up almost as fast as super glue, as well as costing next to nothing.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #733 on: December 17, 2018, 04:09:51 PM »
Nice work!
Another advantage of the acetone is that you don't get any glue remains on the wood. So no problems with staining.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #734 on: December 17, 2018, 04:51:28 PM »
Nice work!
Another advantage of the acetone is that you don't get any glue remains on the wood. So no problems with staining.
Thanks, Rob.
I watched a few videos before deciding acetone was the way to go for that reason.  I've used a needle bottle to cement clear acrylic and thought it might work.  Capillary action sucks in the acetone without the mess a brush makes.