Author Topic: CURRENT CATALDO  (Read 135772 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: CURRENT CATALDO
« Reply #705 on: November 10, 2018, 10:32:08 AM »
I'd settle for a photographer. ;)

I'm the wrong side of the Pond, my Don, and then there's the Swamp and them big-tooth critters that live in it...  :mrgreen:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: November 10, 2018, 10:49:25 AM »
.... and then there's the Swamp and them big-tooth critters that live in it...  :mrgreen:

Washington DC?  :mrgreen:

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #707 on: November 11, 2018, 02:45:34 PM »
Naw... that's wee cousin Domhnall Iain's turf... :mrgreen:
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #708 on: November 16, 2018, 05:46:25 PM »
BiggerBottom, 16" lower bout. Customer OK'd it but wants to keep the 4+1 headstock.  No problem, there's always photoshop.

Headstock roughed out.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #709 on: November 21, 2018, 12:10:48 PM »
V 8)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #710 on: November 25, 2018, 06:24:25 AM »
Black Friday.  Quick Refin of a 20 year old Warmoth alder 5 string P for a good customer..  ill dings with super glue sand, black primer surfacer and 3 coats gloss acrylic clear lacquer.

Holes filled with toothpick (small) and .125 plastruct (large).  Raised center is 3 ply aircraft grade birch plywood.

Arctic white with same acrylic clear.  No yellowing on this one!

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #711 on: November 26, 2018, 02:39:32 PM »
With apologies, my Don, but what goes in the gaping hole where the bridge lives on the P...? :o

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #712 on: November 26, 2018, 05:59:30 PM »
With apologies, my Don, but what goes in the gaping hole where the bridge lives on the P...? :o

Has a 2Tek bridge, similar to this one on my Hamer Cruise...it was a 90s thing.  They've recently been reissued.  Might try to find a victim customer for one.

The massive individual string thru bridges are screwed to the base plate.

Meanwhile BgrBtm is moving along.  Here it is with an H-22 which was an influence along with the Rick 360.

Going to get double binding to set off the crazy spalted alder grain.

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #713 on: November 26, 2018, 06:09:38 PM »
That end grain is nuts!

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #714 on: November 27, 2018, 01:28:41 PM »
Has a 2Tek bridge, similar to this one on my Hamer Cruise...it was a 90s thing.  They've recently been reissued.  Might try to find a victim customer for one.

Are you doing any neck-through 'birds yet? I might volunteer. I like those 2Tek monstrosities.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #715 on: November 27, 2018, 04:38:36 PM »
Are you doing any neck-through 'birds yet? I might volunteer. I like those 2Tek monstrosities.

I built a neck thru 12er, it convinced me it wasn't worth the effort.

The 2TEK seems a lot more 'Full Contact' than the Babicz. is solid brass, and doesn't have a giant logo on it. I like how my Hamer sounds with it although I've never tried those pickups with a different bridge.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #716 on: November 27, 2018, 05:13:26 PM »
I've played Cruise basses of that era with and without the 2Tek and it really brings things to life. I hate nasty artificial sounding high end and mids in bass tone and good bridges can make for an articulate bass that doesn't make me cringe and still has tons of low end. I'm fearful that I may be stuck on neck-through. My pawnshop Peavey Grind NTB is one of the nicest basses I've ever played and it's a Chinese bottom-of-the-budget-barrel bass. Although I DO like the Thunderbird Studio 5'ver, which is set neck...

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: November 27, 2018, 08:48:39 PM »
Awww man that's going to set off my bridge obsession again!  Must not drill big hole in EB4L.......
Louder bass!.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #718 on: November 28, 2018, 06:46:16 AM »
I've played Cruise basses of that era with and without the 2Tek and it really brings things to life. I hate nasty artificial sounding high end and mids in bass tone and good bridges can make for an articulate bass that doesn't make me cringe and still has tons of low end. I'm fearful that I may be stuck on neck-through. My pawnshop Peavey Grind NTB is one of the nicest basses I've ever played and it's a Chinese bottom-of-the-budget-barrel bass. Although I DO like the Thunderbird Studio 5'ver, which is set neck...

Warmoth is te exclusive dealer for the 2TEK. Current version has less mass in the 'fingers', lightening holes drilled in it.  That's unfortunate IMO, thyey're not going to convince possible customers on the basis of that.  You're either in or out on the original design for players who know the bridge so why drill holes in a critical part that might affect the tone?

If I built necks I'd definitely build neck through basses compared to set necks. Not much difference in labor and more perceived value. 

I had a friend  build the 12er neck, he also built me a 32" I'm going to use for a personal 12er if I ever decide on a body.

Awww man that's going to set off my bridge obsession again!  Must not drill big hole in EB4L.......

You're lucky, it only works on a 1-3/4" thick body!

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: November 28, 2018, 01:28:04 PM »
Phew!
Louder bass!.