Author Topic: CURRENT CATALDO  (Read 135776 times)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Re: CURRENT CATALDO
« Reply #330 on: June 05, 2015, 05:24:28 PM »
Similar to Judaica but doesn't require painful body mutilation.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #331 on: August 22, 2015, 04:05:24 PM »
The latest JAEbird incarnation:
A guy from Italy contacted me last week. He found me by googling 'FenderBird' because that's what he wants. He has a gig coming up Oct 1 and really wanted one for it. I told him I had one possible body I could build in that time. I sent him these pix of the dampened blank.

He said , "Great, paint it Fiesta Red." There's a little bit of a language problem but I finally got across the point that I wasn't going to cover up the grain on this magnificent piece of wood. So he said, "Okay, transparent orange." Why not?

Here's the quickie Photoshop rendering.

Deeper cutaway, 'WideStance' ThunderBuckers, Stacked pots, side jack, 'noscru' pickguard/pickup rings. Vintage tint fretboard, one piece maple neck with  homebrew "Fiesta Red" Mohawk Ultra Penetrating Stain and Piano lacquer on everything else. Hipshots and a Detuner.  He's a Hipshot endorser and gets those for free.

Have to ship it September 15th to get it through Italian customs in time for his gig. That means I gotta finish the stain/clear by Tuesday.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #332 on: August 22, 2015, 04:18:06 PM »
Mach schnell!!

Should be beautiful!  Looking forward to photos.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #333 on: August 22, 2015, 04:31:59 PM »
Mach schnell!!

Should be beautiful!  Looking forward to photos.

Thanks, Al!...there's more on the dark site.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: August 23, 2015, 04:38:34 PM »
That will look very nice in gloss.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #335 on: August 23, 2015, 04:49:50 PM »
That will look very nice in gloss.

Thanks, Dave, it's getting close!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: August 26, 2015, 01:11:03 AM »
Magnifico...! 8)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #337 on: August 26, 2015, 08:29:28 AM »
Get packing, Ken!

Subtle neck tint using Ultra Classic Toner sprayed from about 15 inches in good light.

One 4 inch length of masking tape and one 8x11 sheet of notebook paper gave their lives to tint, stain, and clear coat the neck.  Spray paint does not go around corners, neither does ragged on stain if carefully done.  Much more fun then spending time masking!

Entire neck sprayed with three coats Mohawk Piano Lacquer.

Waiting on ThunderBuckers, rings and other metal.  Color sand, buff, and polish next week.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #338 on: August 26, 2015, 10:09:39 AM »
off the thread a bit but carlo you will like this story. my wife is a bit of an art collector and has a keen eye for color. we own an authentic renoir  so i had to brag a little on that. anyway, i showed her your web site and she went nuts looking at your different finishes. after a while she proclaimed, " this is beyond bass, this is art." i thought you might enjoy that sentiment. what you won't enjoy is she offered to buy me the cataldo bass of my choice. i had to turn her down for practical reasons. :sad: turns out we needed the money a week later so it all worked out, except for your potential sale,buddy.  :)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 10:14:52 AM by nofi »
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #339 on: August 26, 2015, 10:37:42 AM »
off the thread a bit but carlo you will like this story. my wife is a bit of an art collector and has a keen eye for color. we own an authentic renoir  so i had to brag a little on that. anyway, i showed her your web site and she went nuts looking at your different finishes. after a while she proclaimed, " this is beyond bass, this is art." i thought you might enjoy that sentiment. what you won't enjoy is she offered to buy me the cataldo bass of my choice. i had to turn her down for practical reasons. :sad: turns out we needed the money a week later so it all worked out, except for your potential sale,buddy.  :)

Wow, quite the compliment.  Please thank her for me!  Sorry I won't be building you a bass but glad you had the $$ when you needed it.

I've always referred to what I do as blart.  I like Marshall McLuhan's definition, "Art is whatever you can get away with."...and Andy Warhol's theft of the line.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #340 on: August 26, 2015, 11:46:41 AM »
Wow, quite the compliment.  Please thank her for me!  Sorry I won't be building you a bass but glad you had the $$ when you needed it.

I've always referred to what I do as blart.  I like Marshall McLuhan's definition, "Art is whatever you can get away with."...and Andy Warhol's theft of the line.

Kinda like that old quote: "If you play the wrong note once, it's a mistake; play it twice and it's jazz."

Except Carlo plays the RIGHT notes!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #341 on: August 26, 2015, 12:29:30 PM »
Kinda like that old quote: "If you play the wrong note once, it's a mistake; play it twice and it's jazz."

Except Carlo plays the RIGHT notes!

Except when he don't!  Clams, anyone?

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #342 on: August 26, 2015, 05:47:49 PM »
Cataldo Basses Facebook page just hit 1600 likes...I think I'll take it out to celebrate.  It all started here, guys.  Many thanks for the inspiration and feedback.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: August 26, 2015, 05:50:55 PM »
Congrats, you've earned it.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #344 on: August 26, 2015, 05:53:10 PM »
Thanks, Dave! Really couldn't or wouldn't have done it without you guys.