Author Topic: LP jr bass  (Read 2668 times)

chromium

• View Profile
Re: LP jr bass
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2008, 09:21:00 AM »
Is this the part that Chubby Checker desribes as "First you spread your limbo feet
Then you move to limbo beat", or are we into the "la-la-la-la"-part?
http://www.weddingvendors.com/music/lyrics/c/chubby-checker/limbo-rock/

I think so.  Either way, it somehow reminds me of the video for my theme song!

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2008, 07:48:42 AM »
"How low can you go"
That's what it's all about...gettin' LOW Down & Dirty...never mind the Hokey Pokey.

Dig that longhorn bass on your theme song, chromium. Coool

I likey that lil Pauly tooo

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2008, 05:18:20 AM »
Oh dear, I doubt whether that Sweet clip would pass PC barriers today.  ;D White guys doing a calypso spoof with black guys limbo dancing around them (IIRC, limbo dancing was to originally entertain white slave masters who would let the slave who managed to get low enough without toppling go free, but it might have tribal African backgrounds too).

Great bass sound, but is that really how those Italian Dynelectros (not the original Danelectro, the Dynelectros were made of wood and actually qualitywise the more worthy product) sounded? Early Sweet were notorious for not being allowed to play on their singles (Phil Wainman, their producer, would get the usual suspects of English sessioneers in to do the job which is why a lot of early Chinn-Chapman glam sounds so similar), so this might be a Gibson bass for all we know. That said, Steve Priest would have been nimble-fingered enough to play this, he was no slouch on the bass.

Uwe
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2008, 07:58:50 AM »

Early Sweet were notorious for not being allowed to play on their singles (Phil Wainman, their producer, would get the usual suspects of English sessioneers in to do the job which is why a lot of early Chinn-Chapman glam sounds so similar), so this might be a Gibson bass for all we know.

Wait... are you saying that Chinn and Chapman wrote more than one song? I thought it was all just different arrangements of the same song.  :P