Author Topic: Model One or Will Power?  (Read 6443 times)

Bass VI

• View Profile
Model One or Will Power?
« on: November 06, 2008, 12:54:42 AM »
Posted something along these lines on the Other brands forum,
but as these are Mudbucker sized objects ( MSO's? ) I thought I'd see if anyone could descibe the differences, Dimarzio says the WPs' poles are spaced for longer scaled basses ( I'm thinking about my Guild B-302 ) but tonally it has a little more low-end than I may prefer. They don't give the pole spacing for either one, only saying it's a drop-in for a Mudbucker ( like anything is ever a "drop-in" ;D ) Anyway, any thoughts?

Scott ( BassVI )
There was nothing in the world
That I ever wanted more
Than to feel you deep in my heart
That I ever wanted more
Than to never feel the breaking apart
All my pictures of you

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
Re: Model One or Will Power?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 07:24:14 AM »
These two pickups are identical except for pole spacing. I have one of each on my T-bird, and am doing a Carvin the same. Will Power close to bridge and Model 1 close to the neck. I originally had 2 Model 1's in the bird, but took one out and replaced it with a Will Power. The W.P. sounded a bit stronger probably because the poles aligned with the strings better.

The Model 1 sounds great in a Rick too.

Bass VI

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 10:21:16 AM »
So the WP has wider spacing than the Model one?
That I ever wanted more
That I ever wanted more
All my pictures of you

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 11:02:43 AM »
I believe it is spread slightly off to match up to Fender spacing. It is minor, but if those poles are right under the string it perks them up.  I have seen a few of them in Ricks oddly enough over the years.  If I were to drop one in a 301/302 I would go for the Fender spacing of the Billy Sheehan pup.  Although I don't know that you would find the results that great.  I hate to sound like a parrot, but if I were to do that kind of deed in one, I would opt for a Hagstrom/Dark Star kind of pup.  Not because it is a Guild, but having had both pups I find the DiMarzio to be less dynamic or lively.  I don't dislike the Model One, and appreciate the lack of damage to a Gibson, but I prefer the Hagstroms especially for a bass that would offer more growl and honk than an EB bass.   

And they are "close enough" drop in for a Gibson.  They typically do not fit exactly, and they don't fit an early EB single coil right.  The epoxy seems to be a poured tub mold type of affair.  The lead wire can be "bumped" out in different ways, and I came across one that the installer ground out a bit of wood to accommodate it.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Bass VI

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 01:49:50 PM »
Interesting, as it is I like the sound of the bass ( two jazz bass style pickups ) it just looks awful. I have found one original pickup and will install that when it arrives. Will have to check out the Darkstars, I know they are highly thought of here. Oddly ( since I own three DeArmonds, a Starfire bass, a Bajo Jet and a Jetstar ) I've never given much thought to them. Thanks for the info on the spacing and the opinions on the DS.

Scott ( BassVI )
That I ever wanted more
That I ever wanted more
All my pictures of you

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 03:14:58 PM »
They're not identical, even aside from the polepiece spacing. When it came out, DiMarzio said that the Will Power neck was voiced a little differently from the Model One; Billy Sheehan wanted some minor changes and they wanted to accommodate him, after all, it's more or less his signature pickup.

Here's what their website says now: "The Will Power™ neck model is very deep-sounding with great low-end definition. Its dimensions are the same as the Model One™, but it's a little louder and fatter-sounding, and pole piece spacing is slightly wider for better string alignment with long-scale basses."

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 09:43:01 PM »
When I did my fretless EB-1 project, I had an old Gibson humbucker that was stone dead.  Wolfe McLeod couldn't save it, so he sent it off to Jason Lollar.  Jason called me, and told me it was beyond repair.  He asked what I wanted.  I mentioned the obligatory Felix Pappalardi, and all he said was, "I'll make you something".  Three weeks later, I get this pickup in the mail.  It looked like a cross between the original bucker and a jazz bass pickup.  He had lowered the output from original specs, and it fit perfectly under the original Gibson cover.  It was simply AWESOME!  If I had to do it again, I'd use Jason to make me another pickup.

Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 11:36:27 PM »
This was on the Dimarzio site a few years back.

Note the 1/8" difference in polepiece spacing.

Bass VI

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2008, 12:20:21 AM »
Very helpfull Dave,

The Model Ones' spacing matches the 302s' and the slightly less bass output might be the ticket. OTOH, if the original pickup that's on the way sounds decent by itself, my 302 might become a 301!

Thanks again for the diagram,

Scott ( BassVI )
That I ever wanted more
That I ever wanted more
All my pictures of you

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2008, 07:02:28 AM »
When I did my fretless EB-1 project, I had an old Gibson humbucker that was stone dead.  Wolfe McLeod couldn't save it, so he sent it off to Jason Lollar.  Jason called me, and told me it was beyond repair.  He asked what I wanted.  I mentioned the obligatory Felix Pappalardi, and all he said was, "I'll make you something".  Three weeks later, I get this pickup in the mail.  It looked like a cross between the original bucker and a jazz bass pickup.  He had lowered the output from original specs, and it fit perfectly under the original Gibson cover.  It was simply AWESOME!  If I had to do it again, I'd use Jason to make me another pickup.

Nice bridge! What is it??
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2008, 07:49:18 AM »
Nice bridge! What is it??

It's the Schaller 460.  The funny thing is - I did this bass a full year before the Cream reunion, where Jack Bruce did the exact same thing.  I have another 460 waiting for one of my upcoming projects.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2008, 08:05:15 AM »
They're not identical, even aside from the polepiece spacing.

It's true. When I first considered using a Will Power I emailed Dimarzio asking what the difference was and they replied the only difference was the pole spacing. However, I see now there is a difference in the DC resistance with the Model 1 being 11.3 and the Will Power being 12.5, which I suppose would make it louder and fatter sounding.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2008, 09:28:39 AM »
Their website isn't the easiest to navigate, but I finally found the tone chart here (.pdf): http://www.dimarzio.com/media/pdfs/tech_data-quick_guide.pdf. The bass pickups are on page 9. It actually shows the bass as 8 on the Model One and 7 on the Will Power Neck. I never take ratings like that as absolutes.