Author Topic: New Dusty Hill custom shop Pbass  (Read 8483 times)

ilan

• View Profile
Re: New Dusty Hill custom shop Pbass
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2012, 12:54:24 PM »
The upside-down headstock is lame unless you're a lefty playing a flipped righty.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2012, 06:16:00 AM »
Maybe the reversed headstock carried over from when he played a Robin Ranger Bass ?  :mrgreen:
Experience is the ultimate teacher

weekend warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2012, 04:17:55 PM »
I think its pretty cool!The upside down actually looks good on it compared to the rick C64(yuck).Dusty has been playing the original design P basses since the beginning.Just go back to the Fandango album and take a look and listen. 8)
Life is like a big fan.And sometimes the CACA hits it!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2012, 04:45:58 PM »
I think its pretty cool!The upside down actually looks good on it compared to the rick C64(yuck).Dusty has been playing the original design P basses since the beginning.Just go back to the Fandango album and take a look and listen. 8)

He did play them back then, but he's played a lot of other basses since then. It's not like this is the one bass associated with him.

I have no problem with the upside down look, just the phony aging.

weekend warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2012, 04:48:46 PM »
Cmon Dave....Reliced is all the rage....LOL
Life is like a big fan.And sometimes the CACA hits it!

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2012, 02:25:36 AM »
The Dusty Hill bass is missing the Memphis decal required to complete the package. Dusty is well-known for slab P's and mostly reversed headstocks. This bass looks like something you'll find at a flea market around here.

A friend of mine used to manage a bar which often had bands come in. One day a band was unloading prior to a show and he saw the bass player dragging a brand new American P-bass across the pavement. His parents had just bought him that bass and "it looked too nice". Little shit.

Sounds like he was the one who needed dragging across the pavement. If his folks didn't teach him to value things any better than that, he's halfway to being a rockstar already. No need to worry about the playing and talent bit; they're too nice. He's got Pro Tools and Autotune and they're just as good, right? 

Wilbur88

• circa 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2012, 05:59:47 AM »
Certainly does  NOT float my boat. 
Basses:  Gibson '78 G3 & '06 T-bird, '96 Ric 4003, '83 Steinberger L2, '11 Warwick Star, '01 Gretsch G6072, '11 Fender 60th P, '78 Guild B302F
Rig: Ampeg, Hiwatt, Fender TV

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2012, 09:45:10 AM »
The whole relic/non-relic thing is a matter of personal perception.

Myself, I fall on the non-relic side.  I think wear should be earned honestly and that the condition of an instrument reflects the owner's care of it.  I suspect this feeling is because I'm an old fart and think that the condition of a man's tools reflects the quality of work he does and the care he takes in the process.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2012, 10:01:52 AM »
I feel the same about relicing as I do about taking a BaCH, Epiphone or similar and Gibsonizing it.

I will NOT be posting pix of my shop, tools and slovenly work habits! ;D

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2012, 01:12:18 PM »
I will NOT be posting pix of my shop, tools and slovenly work habits! ;D

Do as we say, not as we do, right?   ;)

The Hon. Dr. Bassman's pictures always reflect a disgustingly tidy, well-planned work area.  It's hard to look at!   ;D
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2012, 04:21:55 AM »
The ever returning discussion about relicing. Fact is that they sell well and some companies made an art form out of it.

My cup of tea:

1 - I know it's stupid to age a brand new instrument. Totally crazy.
2 - When I walk into a shop and I see a normal and a reliced instrument my eyes go to the reliced one. Love 'm.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2012, 04:46:56 AM »
The ever returning discussion about relicing. Fact is that they sell well and some companies made an art form out of it.

My cup of tea:

1 - I know it's stupid to age a brand new instrument. Totally crazy.
2 - When I walk into a shop and I see a normal and a reliced instrument my eyes go to the reliced one. Love 'm.

Gotta say, beating the crap out of a new strat is a lot more fun than reproducing a correct truss rod cover for a BaCH.

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2012, 01:39:50 PM »
It is peculiar.  I think if I were a lefty, and it were priced about the same as that Green day bass, I would be dancing.  You could have a lefty old school P-bass by scoring a lefty body from someplace. But other than that, it has no purpose.  I find the lefty neck a tad less offensive than the Rickenbacker c64 nightmare. At least you can unscrew this.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2012, 04:00:15 AM »
I remember reading how the left neck came about by accident, they didn't have another replacement while touring, but Dusty liked the better saddle and pressure/sustain of the E and A. It sure looks weird, but my hunch is that to the ZZ Top devoted (and there are a few, also to Dusty Hill's playing which never did much for me) this bass will sell well. I think reliced new basses silly, but this looks well-done.

I wonder whether they also broke a wire with the pup as Dusty's original Tele had, giving it a distorted sound which he loved. On return from a luthier for another repair, the pup had been repaired too - much to Dusty's horror - altering the sound of the bass completely. He then had "broken" Tele single coils handwound for him.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2012, 07:51:27 AM »
It's $4800. Are there that any ZZ Top devotees willing or able to drop that kind of money?