Author Topic: Interesting mod to a 51 RI P  (Read 6010 times)

PhilT

• View Profile
Interesting mod to a 51 RI P
« on: September 17, 2010, 05:08:30 AM »

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Interesting mod to a 51 RI P
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 05:32:40 AM »
I agree.  Seems relatively pointless.  If they were going to do such a thing, why not get one of the Turser copies and modify a less expensive instrument??
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 07:33:25 AM »
i hate that person.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 10:06:38 AM »
Sacrilege ! Ol' Leo's surely gonna haunt the owner of that travesty ............ I ......... I ......[heart attack mode]urrrrrrrb.......... gaaargl ..........[/heart attack mode]
Experience is the ultimate teacher

Sven

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 02:18:13 PM »
At least the guy now has one proper pup to put in his Jazzbass.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 02:33:27 PM »
Maybe he likes the J sound but the 51 P body and neck profile. And maybe he wanted a real Fender, not a Turser.

Nothing wrong with this mod. If he were famous, how many people would be doing the same thing?

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 02:51:35 PM »
none i hope. reminds me of that abortion tractor bass. fenders always look like crap when someone 'customizes ' one. imo. the add said local luthier 'improved' it to get a 'wider range of sounds'. :rolleyes: no one buys a '51 p for a wide range of sounds, they one want only one sound out of it. thump.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 03:00:19 PM by nofi »

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 03:25:42 PM »
I've found those 51 RI's to be surprisingly versatile stock.  The real deal sounds better, but is more the one trick-pony. Matter of fact, the reason I don't have a 51 RI is that they don't sound 'P-Bassy' enough for me.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 03:29:48 PM »
Gotta admit I always liked the sound Berry Oakley and Mel Schacher got out of their mod'd J's but then again I'm from Pagan stock... :P
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 06:37:29 PM »
i stand by my heavily biased opinion. berry's bass sounded stock to me but mel's was a different story.

Hornisse

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 07:19:01 PM »
Can't forget Verdine White's old Tele bass.

http://bassoutpost.com/index.php?topic=3625.0

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 09:42:23 PM »
I had a Fender Custom Shop "Vintage Precision Custom Bass" model. It was loosely based on a 55 P -- i.e. 51 style shape with contours added, still had the 51 style pickguard and two-saddle bridge -- yet it came standard with a P/J setup and concentric knobs. It was a beauty and it sounded great, though I eventually sold it because the neck was just too big for me. But if I posted a pic without telling you what it was, some of you would rag on it just because it doesn't look exactly like the originals.

Doing something different doesn't make it bad. It's an instrument, not a work of art. If a different set of pickups give you the sound you want and your workmanship is good, I see no problem with modding.

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2010, 01:51:17 AM »
Matter of fact, the reason I don't have a 51 RI is that they don't sound 'P-Bassy' enough for me.

Just replace the stock-PUP with a Quarterpounder and the 2x2 bridge with a High-Mass Vintage and the P-bassy sounds ( with added lo-end ) will blow you away...

I had a Fender Custom Shop "Vintage Precision Custom Bass" model. It was loosely based on a 55 P -- i.e. 51 style shape with contours added, still had the 51 style pickguard and two-saddle bridge -- yet it came standard with a P/J setup and concentric knobs.

Doing something different doesn't make it bad. It's an instrument, not a work of art. If a different set of pickups give you the sound you want and your workmanship is good, I see no problem with modding.

Sounds nice but of course Robin built basses on that basic notion since the 80s .......... they didn't bother with the 2x2 bridge ( luckily ) or the concentric knobs ( pity ) though ..........
Experience is the ultimate teacher

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2010, 09:36:44 AM »
Sounds nice but of course Robin built basses on that basic notion since the 80s

I always liked the look of those Robins. Never had one in my hands though.

Hornisse

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2010, 09:51:19 AM »
IIRC those Robin Ranger basses were 32 inch scale while the Fender was the standard 34 inch.