Author Topic: I bought a dog food factory  (Read 11443 times)

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
Re: I bought a dog food factory
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2011, 08:43:38 PM »
What is a Kangaroo's natural predator?  Anything?  They seem pretty damn big when mature and aren't they fairly fast?

A mature red kangaroo stands around 6 foot tall when he's up on his toes :-)

Natural predator in the absence of humans?  Maybe dingoes or crocodiles, but I reckon both the dingo and croc would prefer something that is easier to catch and doesn't have as powerful back legs as a kangaroo.  They can really kick your ass at close quarters.  And yes, they are very fast, and can jump fences more easily than us.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2011, 10:12:39 PM »
I agree totally with Marks comments.

To that I'd add that dingoes are really an introduced species if we are being pedantic about it. As are the Aborigines. They (apparently) came to Australia at the same time about 30-40,000 years ago from Asia. Most of the animals here are marsupials. Which means that they are grass/leaf eaters. At worst they eat insects. Snakes, Crocodiles and Dingoes are the only 'Native' predators apart from birds/sharks etc. (I've probably forgotten something but I think thats right).

The average size of kangaroos, specifically the Macropus rufus or the red kangaroo, is 6-feet and 7-inches or 2 meters tall. In terms of weight an adult male can be as heavy as 200 pounds or 90 kilograms. Another common species is Macropus giganteus or the eastern grey kangaroo. This one is slightly smaller, which has an average height of 6-feet or 2 meters and an average weight of 145 pounds or 66 kilograms.

The third common species is Macropus fuliginosus or the western grey kangaroo. It is smaller than the previous two species, which only stands at an average of 4-feet and 3-inches or approximately 1.3 meters tall. It only weighs around 52.91 to 127.87 pounds or 24 to 58 kilograms.

A red kangaroo can reach speeds of over 35 miles (56 kilometers) an hour

Current populations stand around the 25 million mark

Average life expectancy is about 5 years. However some Roo's have been known to live up to 25 years

So you are talking about 25 million animals at 6 foot and 135pounds + (65kg) of pure, fat free, high protien, low cholesterol red meat hopping about the country without damaging the natural landscape (I'll avoid the crop damage issue for now) that is all but an untapped replenishable resourse.

And thats without going into the whole ferral camel thing again  ;)

Hmmmm.... New flavour maybe?  Camel and chicken dog food............*

Comments?  ideas?   ;D
Digresion our specialty!

Basshappi

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2011, 08:31:07 AM »
In these soft-hearted times you might want to stick with "All-natural meat product" on the label. :D
Nothing is what it seems but everthing is exactly what it is.

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2011, 01:33:37 PM »
Best of luck it sounds great. A guy I used to work with approached me about doing something similar here in NH.Building a business between here & Boston southern NH area. I had to laugh because I have been a chef for 30+ years so it would be a hoot if I finish my career doin da dog!
Id love to stay in touch to see how it goes.. If I jump to the K9 side Ill be sure to be in touch.
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2011, 02:22:48 PM »
Best of luck it sounds great. A guy I used to work with approached me about doing something similar here in NH.Building a business between here & Boston southern NH area. I had to laugh because I have been a chef for 30+ years so it would be a hoot if I finish my career doin da dog!
Id love to stay in touch to see how it goes.. If I jump to the K9 side Ill be sure to be in touch.

Not a problem.  :)
Digresion our specialty!

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2011, 02:24:57 PM »
What about Cassowaries?

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2011, 08:01:26 PM »
What about Cassowaries?

Does it taste like chicken? ;)

There was Emu frenzy here in Texas several years back - for some reason people thought that they could get rich with Emu farms ???  Turned out to be a total bust and lots of Emus just got turned loose.  There were several attacks reported.  Seems like the native predator population eventually cleaned them up

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2011, 03:55:01 AM »
Thats funny John. I've seen plenty of Cassowaries in animal parks. There are 3 within 30 mins of me here but I've never seen one in the wild. I know they are in PNG and the Solomon Islands but didnt know they were on the Aussie Mainland.

Thankfully Emus are just annoying rather than violent. Emu meat is also great. Its red and meaty and very lean like Roo. Cassowary?   ...sorry, never tried it  :P

@Buzz.   Thats interesting, One of the great stupid things that Australians have done is to believe all the hype and sales pitch of the South African push for ......you guessed it right?    ...Osterich farms back in the 80's. I mean c'mon. All those free Emu's and we need to import and breed Osterich's right?  :rolleyes:
Digresion our specialty!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 19, 2011, 04:28:36 AM »
;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 21, 2011, 11:15:31 AM »
I have this lingering, even nagging question: Have you tried your new dogfood yet? Bottom up customer approach, no less.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 21, 2011, 12:26:50 PM »
If you mean have I fed it to my dogs, of course. If you mean have I tried it personally well, as its being poured out of the bottom of the cooker onto molds it splashes a little. Tastes like you would expect chicken and veggies to taste. :P  :)
Digresion our specialty!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 21, 2011, 12:33:40 PM »
Validation, Verification and Testing!

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 21, 2011, 12:34:11 PM »
I think I'm going to leave the room... (stop cheering...!)  ;D
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 21, 2011, 12:35:13 PM »
It's a bit like Haggis, Kenny, you wouldn't know the difference.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 21, 2011, 12:44:56 PM »
Personally thinking, I think there's an offal lot of difference... :o

We have a pretty good recipe for veggie haggis... you wouldn't notice the difference...

I do remember a comment made by the (UK) Meat Marketing Board... "Black pudding's almost vegetarian, there's hardly any meat in it at all..." (yes, I know, salivating for some blutwurst now, aren't you... :mrgreen:)