Author Topic: Cool Rics on eBay / Reverb / Craigslist  (Read 341342 times)

warriorbass05

• View Profile
    • Bass Tunes
Re: Cool Rics on eBay
« Reply #375 on: December 19, 2010, 07:06:05 PM »
The custom paint job looks cool indeed, but I am not sure if it is a well made pro paint job. It might look good on the pictures, but could be a different story up close and personal. And even if it is a well made job, I think it is overpriced for the vintage and the bridge and tuners mods.

Anyway, I love the look of the schaller tuners on 70s headstock. But the badass bridge always turns me off, even though string spacing looks ok, which is a good thing compared to a lot of Rics out there with badass bridges and strings falling off the fingerboard on high frets.

I emailed the seller (who by the way is a store wannabe) and offered him an OG 89 Mid Blue w/BT in trade and he told me that he could not do it even up....I stopped emailing at that point.
Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses   www.spectorbass.com
 Bluesman Vintage Basses
www.bluesmanvintage.com

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: December 19, 2010, 08:45:37 PM »

The '67 4000 sold for $5655!   :o

Holy crap!

How times change. I remember about 7 years ago at the Pit, Mark Furlong found a seller in Chicago wanting to sell a 67 or 68 4000 and a big Transonic amp. IIRC the bass was $1800. Scotty Allen wound up buying it.

SeanS

• View Profile
« Reply #377 on: December 20, 2010, 08:08:13 AM »
The custom paint job looks cool indeed, but I am not sure if it is a well made pro paint job. It might look good on the pictures, but could be a different story up close and personal. And even if it is a well made job, I think it is overpriced for the vintage and the bridge and tuners mods.

Anyway, I love the look of the schaller tuners on 70s headstock. But the badass bridge always turns me off, even though string spacing looks ok, which is a good thing compared to a lot of Rics out there with badass bridges and strings falling off the fingerboard on high frets.

Exactly what I meant with the binding, looks like its been glued back on top of the over spray :o.

He needed a Badass 1 really.

I'm a Badass fan, but my hate is seeing the little hand made covers held on using screws, that's unacceptable.

warriorbass05

• View Profile
    • Bass Tunes
« Reply #378 on: December 20, 2010, 01:33:29 PM »
If I had to make a guess, I would say that the 77 was a jetglo that had the white added to it...I need to look again at the binding but considering ALL the mods that have been done to this bass, it is hardly worth the 2199 price tag...
 Bluesman Vintage Basses
www.bluesmanvintage.com

weekend warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #379 on: December 21, 2010, 04:51:37 PM »
Jaymi, that is a classic example of because its a vintage rick its worth lots of cash syndrome.I cant believe he turned down the midnight blue man.realistically the 77 is just a player now.Its not worth anywhere near what an unmolested rick is worth.At a player standpoint im sure its a cool bass(i like it)but i wouldnt pay over 1k for that in the open market.Your midnight blue BT is worth at least 1,650.00.At a player standpoint.The badass (badass 1)is a great mod when done correctly.And adds incredible meat to the tone of a rick as well as unsurpassed adjustability.Its just hard to get around not having the look of the original bridge at a purest standpoint.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 05:12:18 PM by weekend warrior »
Life is like a big fan.And sometimes the CACA hits it!

fur85

• View Profile
« Reply #380 on: December 26, 2010, 02:53:03 AM »
Holy crap!

How times change. I remember about 7 years ago at the Pit, Mark Furlong found a seller in Chicago wanting to sell a 67 or 68 4000 and a big Transonic amp. IIRC the bass was $1800. Scotty Allen wound up buying it.

You are correct Dave, it was 1800 for that 68 4000 that Scotty bought. It was a natural, not a fireglow, but it was in great shape. Same story as this seller, one owner, retired musician bought if for his wife in 68. Over 5K is a lot for the one that just sold. I'm always amazed by what people will pay for things. But it will probably sell for 10K in a few years.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: December 26, 2010, 09:23:25 AM »
You and I thought that 1800 was a little high back then.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #382 on: December 26, 2010, 12:25:19 PM »
It was, back then.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

warriorbass05

• View Profile
    • Bass Tunes
« Reply #383 on: December 28, 2010, 05:23:03 AM »
Jaymi, that is a classic example of because its a vintage rick its worth lots of cash syndrome.I cant believe he turned down the midnight blue man.realistically the 77 is just a player now.Its not worth anywhere near what an unmolested rick is worth.At a player standpoint im sure its a cool bass(i like it)but i wouldnt pay over 1k for that in the open market.Your midnight blue BT is worth at least 1,650.00.At a player standpoint.The badass (badass 1)is a great mod when done correctly.And adds incredible meat to the tone of a rick as well as unsurpassed adjustability.Its just hard to get around not having the look of the original bridge at a purest standpoint.

plus, it would have to be killer to outdo the Midnight blue....
 Bluesman Vintage Basses
www.bluesmanvintage.com

weekend warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #384 on: December 28, 2010, 09:26:10 AM »
Welcome home Jaymi  :)The midnight blue is a sweet bass!
Life is like a big fan.And sometimes the CACA hits it!

Electro Dale

• View Profile
« Reply #385 on: December 29, 2010, 11:24:11 AM »
Another '71 glueburst - this one has the shedua center strip and narrower pickguard. The horseshoe pickup is a reissue.

Here's one that I rebound, refretted and refinished 2years ago.  It was all original with the same problem.  In the early 70s we used straight Acetone to install the binding, ithad a leaching effect on a certain batch of B/W binding that caused this.
Before

After Restoration

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #386 on: December 29, 2010, 11:26:14 AM »
After Restoration

Wow, I like that! Would you call that Autumnglo? Walnut? Montezuma Brown? Or none of the above...  ???

Electro Dale

• View Profile
« Reply #387 on: December 29, 2010, 11:32:25 AM »

Montezuma Brown...It's basically a Gibson tabacco burst color

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: December 29, 2010, 06:29:13 PM »
That looks much better than the Montezuma Brown 4003 I had.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #389 on: January 01, 2011, 02:17:36 AM »
Here's another '72 Mapleglo - this time a non-glueburst  ;D. The seller is Bryce Gracey. $2,949 BIN price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1972-RICKENBACKER-4001-Mapleglo-Lemmy-Connection-/220717561602?pt=Guitar&hash=item3363cab702#ht_12442wt_1139

Note the shedua wood at the tip of the "cresting wave"...

The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023