Author Topic: Let's Talk About F****  (Read 1262 times)

rahock

• View Profile
Let's Talk About F****
« on: April 10, 2009, 11:02:08 AM »
That's right folks.......Let's talk about Field Recorders :)
I'm seeing some pretty low prices on these things, and I've heard there are a lot of pretty good ones on the market, but I don't know anyone who has one.
GC has some good prices on Yamaha and Tascam stuff but I am clueless . Some have more features than others, but I'm not sure what features I'd want on a live recording unit. I know some have overdub capability, which sounds like it would be nice, if it gave you some ability to control the mix.
I'm very curious about the quality of vocal and bass reproduction too. Any words of wisdom for me???  All input is very much appreciated :).

Rick

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Talk About F****
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 11:36:21 AM »
Here's a site with reviews, prices, and sound samples of various recorders:

http://www.wingfieldaudio.com/compare-portable-recorders.html

http://www.wingfieldaudio.com/portable-recorder-sound-samples.html

http://www.wingfieldaudio.com/portable-recorder-sound-samples-2.html

A lot of guys at the Badass forum were talking about the Zoom recorders last year and they were very popular there. Those recorders are included in the above reviews.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 08:41:23 PM »
The Crocs have been using a Korg. Not sure what the model is sorry but you can hear the quality on the Daddy Cool and Cant always get.... songs that I've put on the Tube. Even through the mixed in haste" sound.

If your interested I can find out what model it is.

Digresion our specialty!

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 04:28:22 AM »
Thanks guys :) It's nice to read the reviews and hear some samples . The Crocs piece was really nice, the quality of that was pretty impressive. The vocals , bass and leads were  much cleaner than I expected :)
I would definately be interested in what model they were using and if they were using the internal mics. Anything you can tell me about how much tweaking they had to do would be much appreciated too. I need a lot of education on this stuff ???
BTW: You are a good player bud. Nice chops :)

Thanks again, and keep it coming.
Rick
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 04:39:18 AM by rahock »

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 04:39:53 AM »
We used the Korg D3200 with extra 8 inputs through a Behringer ADA8000, 16 channel multicore splitter and separate mics to the FOH rig.

The resulting recordings were then loaded into Logic Audio and a quick mix done. Seriously not a lot of tweaking. You can hear all the muffed notes, dropped beats and volume inconsistancies.
Basically just a rough levels mix and out. It really is pretty raw.
Digresion our specialty!

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 04:55:41 AM »
Thanks again :) I thought it came out pretty darn good.

Anybody else have experience with any other brands?
Rick

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 10:47:51 PM »
i have a sound devices 744t for my work which can record 4 tracks at 192 khz and has a pair of good mic preamps on board.it records to hard disc cf card and external drive or all 3.it has timecode facilities and is intended mostly for film/tv production.it sounds very very good.i have recorded some live bands with a sass p(crown stereo mic)on 2 tracks and the output from the desk on the other 2.always sounds good.
Louder bass!.