Author Topic: Say hello to the new DP guitarist ...  (Read 488 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Say hello to the new DP guitarist ...
« on: April 01, 2022, 07:47:49 AM »
https://www.thehighwaystar.com/news/2022/03/31/steve-is-taking-a-hiatus/#comment-673073

At 3:26, a ferocious young Irishman, twenty years my junior ...

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

doombass

• View Profile
Re: Say hello to the new DP guitarist ...
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2022, 12:28:44 PM »
I'd say he'll be doing a fine job.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Say hello to the new DP guitarist ...
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2022, 03:22:58 AM »
He's the first guitarist with DP from a generation raised on EvH, Steve Morse, Michael Schenker, Uli Jon Roth, Gary Moore, John Sykes, Malmsteen, Vai and Satriani as opposed to Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, Peter Green, Johnny Winter, Ritchie Blackmore, Rory Gallagher, Robin Trower, David Gimour etc. (although I'm sure he listened to those too). And he's a forty-something, so by nature he will have an edgier and more energetic approach.

It'll be interesting for sure. Line-up changes with DP always have been, it's part of that band's charm as they have never really expected new members to emulate the styles of old ones. Whenever DP released a record with a new line-up (In Rock, Burn, Come Taste The Band, Slaves & Masters, Purpendicular, Bananas) the changes were very noticeable, often even radical. If you hear a live version of even an old chestnut like Smoke On The Water, you can always say which line-up is playing it.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2022, 03:50:55 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...