Author Topic: Am I crazy? *Mosrite pics added*  (Read 13779 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: Am I crazy? *Mosrite pics added*
« Reply #75 on: August 25, 2008, 09:09:51 AM »
It may have been foolish of me to assume the bass was a 30" scale, but my knowledge of other Mosrites I've seen, or touched, was that they are typically 30" scale so I made a logical conclusion.  If it had been 32" I would have been fine with that!  I shouldn't have to ask every seller of a short scale Mosrite, is it a 30" scale because there are a couple, out of the thousands of basses they probably produced, that are one-offs in the 23" range.

I would take "the reasonable man" approach to this, or any other auction.  People know and assume certain things based on the reasonable man argument.  If I tell another bassist, or you, that I have a short scale bass for sale, what would a reasonable man assume?  Just what Granny said.  30 or 32" scale.  Would anyone here think 24" or thereabouts?  Of course not.  There are lies of commission and lies of omission.  While I've learned, from this experience, never to trust a seller again without the actual scale listed in numeric terms, this case was intentionally misleading.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 09:54:24 AM by drbassman »
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #76 on: August 25, 2008, 09:42:41 AM »
I know.  To be clear I wasn't saying you were foolish, just that since the seller didn't actuallty specify the scale length, it's not the most clear-cut case. It was a fair assumption that you made.  A lesson for all of us. 

Paypal/ebay would probably still take your side (they tend to lean that way bu default).

Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 25, 2008, 09:57:40 AM »
I know.  To be clear I wasn't saying you were foolish, just that since the seller didn't actuallty specify the scale length, it's not the most clear-cut case. It was a fair assumption that you made.  A lesson for all of us. 

Paypal/ebay would probably still take your side (they tend to lean that way bu default).

I didn't think you were calling me foolish!  I just felt that way the more I thought about it!  I'm learning that vague ads are usually that way for a reason.  There's something to hid!!!!  :o  I doubt the bass would have sold at his opening bid had he been truthful.  Just like the Taylor I bought awhile back.  The seller conveniently forgot to mention the crack down the center of the top!

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #78 on: August 25, 2008, 10:04:18 AM »
Just makin sure. 
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #79 on: August 25, 2008, 10:58:13 AM »
There are at least two others we know of but it was not a Mosrite catalog item. I doubt this was ever intended for regular 4-string EADG bass tuning.

I could be totally off-base, but is there any chance this could have originally been designed to be a "tenor guitar"? It also reminded me of the Supro Pocket Bass seen in Bass Player magazine last year, which has a 24" scale length, so it's not unheard of.

It's still a bummer that the seller wasn't more honest!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 25, 2008, 11:08:27 AM »

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 25, 2008, 11:12:21 AM »
I could be totally off-base, but is there any chance this could have originally been designed to be a "tenor guitar"? It also reminded me of the Supro Pocket Bass seen in Bass Player magazine last year, which has a 24" scale length, so it's not unheard of.

It's still a bummer that the seller wasn't more honest!

Whatever it may have been designed to be, the 24" neck has bass tuners, so a tenor guitar didn't ever cross my mind when I saw it.  I've only seen the duck feet tuners on Mosrite basses.  Also, I believe Dave searched for any mention anywhere of Mosrite making a tenor guitar and didn't find any.  You're right, it is a bummer!

nofi

« Reply #82 on: August 25, 2008, 02:55:35 PM »
can i have the last word on this thread. let paypal run it's course and move on. easy, eh.   

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 25, 2008, 03:54:33 PM »
can i have the last word on this thread. let paypal run it's course and move on. easy, eh.   

True words of wisdom, but this is a discussion forum and we love to discuss!  However, I can let go and move on now, thanks to this open thought process we share here.   ;D  Ah that's better.  Bass therapy at no charge, how can I go wrong?

Opps, sorry.....you were supposed to have the last word.  My bad! :P
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 06:12:04 AM by drbassman »

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 27, 2008, 01:07:06 PM »
Hopefully, this is the final word:  I won my claim and PayPal has instructed me to return the bass to Andy for a refund.

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 27, 2008, 01:28:51 PM »
very good!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 27, 2008, 02:41:42 PM »
All right!

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 27, 2008, 07:55:13 PM »
......San Dimas High school Football rules !!!!!!!!!!
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 28, 2008, 01:13:18 PM »
Yeah!  I think I answered the original question I posed at the beginning of this thread.  "Yes, I was crazy for wanting this little beast!!!!"

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #89 on: August 29, 2008, 01:06:51 PM »
You weren't crazy. you were "special".  :mrgreen:
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."