Author Topic: Am I crazy? *Mosrite pics added*  (Read 13780 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Am I crazy? *Mosrite pics added*
« Reply #60 on: August 21, 2008, 09:59:47 AM »
Bill, if I were you I'd be dancing a jig!  Here's how it looks to me:

- You have an extremely rare model of an already rare bass
- You'll never see another like it played anywhere
- You got it at a fair price
- It's in great shape
- It sounds good and plays well

Seems to me like it should be a guaranteed keeper!!  :mrgreen:
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 21, 2008, 10:15:02 AM »
Bill, if I were you I'd be dancing a jig!  Here's how it looks to me:

- You have an extremely rare model of an already rare bass
- You'll never see another like it played anywhere
- You got it at a fair price
- It's in great shape
- It sounds good and plays well

Seems to me like it should be a guaranteed keeper!!  :mrgreen:

Yeah, I know Al.  I just feel a bit burned not knowing in advance what it was.  He finally did email me but didn't address my complaint about his inaccurate advertising.  He's a real goof, not too computer literate I think.  I think he's hoping I'll just go away.  I probably should keep it and may end up doing so anyway. 
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2008, 11:05:03 AM »
I'd be demanding a refund, for sure.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2008, 11:28:52 AM »
I'd be demanding a refund, for sure.

Better idea - loan that bass to an educational colleague, for him to use in extensive scientifiwockle research!!!!!  Frequency of reports is fully negotiable.

Yeah, it's funny that the auction just said "short scale"...but as far as it went, it's true!  Makes me wonder if the seller really had ANY connection to the guitar industry - one would think that anyone having any familiarity with basses would know it was not adequate to describe it as "short scale".

I still think it's extremely cool!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 02:48:48 PM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

rockinrayduke

« Reply #64 on: August 22, 2008, 09:13:47 AM »
Found this on craigslist today.....

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/msg/807690668.html

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 22, 2008, 09:34:18 AM »
Ray, that sure looks like a refin. Still, it looks like a good price depending on the actual condition.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 22, 2008, 01:07:10 PM »
Ray, that sure looks like a refin. Still, it looks like a good price depending on the actual condition.

That is a good price, I'd take it for that.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 22, 2008, 01:12:06 PM »
Better idea - loan that bass to an educational colleague, for him to use in extensive scientifiwockle research!!!!!  Frequency of reports is fully negotiable.

Yeah, it's funny that the auction just said "short scale"...but as far as it went, it's true!  Makes me wonder if the seller really had ANY connection to the guitar industry - one would think that anyone having any familiarity with basses would know it was not adequate to describe it as "short scale".

I still think it's extremely cool!

Yeah Al, you are one wild and crazy guy!  I am a supporter of scientific research, but I'm afraid to imagine what you have in mind!   :o  I escalated my Pay Pal dispute to claim when the douchebag that sold it to me tried to convince me via email that I was all wet and that his description of a "short scale bass" was accurate and honest.  I told him he was pretty ignorant for someone who is the brother of the guy that owned the Mosrite company!  Anyway, if things don't go my way I have a really weird collector's piece which I wouldn't have bid on if I had known the details. 
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 02:55:56 PM by drbassman »

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 22, 2008, 07:18:53 PM »
IIRC Andy wasn't just a brother, he was Semie's business partner in a lot of the Mosrite incarnations. He should be ashamed of himself. His misrepresentations aren't accidental or innocent - he knows better. No partner in a guitar manufacturer would honestly describe a 24.25" scale bass as a short scale bass. Hell, that's short scale for a guitar! Mosrite regularly sold short scale basses, and they were 30" scale. This thing is a franken-freak.

What bothers me just as much is that he represented it as a 40 year old instrument. That implies it was an instrument that had been manufactured by Mosrite 40 years ago, shipped to a dealer and sold at retail, and now the current owner was selling it. But this appears to be something he assembled from his old parts box, not an actual instrument manufactured and shipped in 1968. That's flagrantly false advertising. If you had known he was the seller, you might have been suspicious, but even so, he owed you a legitimate description and you didn't get it.

Sue him.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 22, 2008, 07:52:40 PM »
Yeah Dave, he's a lying SOB for sure. I'm tempted to keep it and put a 30" neck on it, but I sort of want to get even with him at the same time.  I'll probably end up letting Pay Pal claim run it's course. It worked out  fine for me last time with the Taylor.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 08:11:47 PM by drbassman »

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #70 on: August 24, 2008, 06:49:46 PM »

What bothers me just as much is that he represented it as a 40 year old instrument. That implies it was an instrument that had been manufactured by Mosrite 40 years ago, shipped to a dealer and sold at retail, and now the current owner was selling it. But this appears to be something he assembled from his old parts box, not an actual instrument manufactured and shipped in 1968. That's flagrantly false advertising.

Did I miss the bit where we established that this was the case?

Another like this one does exist, and that one certainly looks 40 years old judging by the finish wear.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 24, 2008, 07:49:04 PM »
Did I miss the bit where we established that this was the case?

Another like this one does exist, and that one certainly looks 40 years old judging by the finish wear.

You need to read this thread, too: http://bassoutpost.com/index.php?topic=1100.0

No, we haven't established that, and Bill says there are matching neck and body numbers. But I'm still suspicious since they didn't fit right and since the seller is Andy Moseley, which tells me the bass probably wasn't sold in 1965 or whenever the parts were made.

There are at least two others we know of but it was not a Mosrite catalog item. I doubt this was ever intended for regular 4-string EADG bass tuning.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #72 on: August 24, 2008, 08:14:28 PM »
Bill, just to be clear - even though I think it's cool to have such an unusual bass, when you lay out as much coin as you did for that bass, you should have known EXACTLY what you were getting. I agree with you that the seller did not provide the information he should have.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 25, 2008, 06:54:57 AM »
No problem Al.  It was discussed in another thread how he wasn't honest in his eBay listing.  He's refusing to work with me at all, so I've filed a PayPal claim.  It'll take awhile, but I'm confident I'll win this one.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #74 on: August 25, 2008, 07:11:23 AM »
You need to read this thread, too: http://bassoutpost.com/index.php?topic=1100.0

K , I don't see much there either (re: originality) except that the seller is being a super dink - I'm not gonna argue that it wasn't misrepresented.... though since the actual scale length wasn't given in the auction, but merely the ambiguous 'short', there is an argument to be made (I do not agree that short scale should automatically be understood as 30-30.5" - I personally always check as regards models unknown to me as 32" is also commonly referred to as short, vs medium, and since I found out about baritone guitars...).  The seller's attitude after the fact is much more telling though and he does deserve a bit of a smack.

There are at least two others we know of but it was not a Mosrite catalog item. I doubt this was ever intended for regular 4-string EADG bass tuning.

MANDO ( / violin) TUNING!
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)